Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatofreak

Remodel I wish were mine!

tomatofreak
9 years ago

I love this remodel, especially the vintage metal cabinets. I don't usually go for blue kitchens, but I have to make an exception this time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue kitchen

Comments (19)

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

Wow! Isn't that fun? It's fiesta ware week on GW :-)

Sometimes you see so many neutral kitchens, it's a *relief* to see some colour. Ahhhh....

But then again, so much open shelving.....

Doesn't anybody have ugly things that they want to hide? Or not even ugly things, but just things that *don't match* and won't work when displayed all together?

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not big on open shelving, either. Too much dust, plus the fact that the cats like to walk among the dishes! ;P

• eam44
    9 years ago

I love the color, love the mod look. It's a vast improvement. But I honestly would not be happy with metal cabinets. While there are several "lab" elements I would like to have in my kitchen (vertical dish drainer, stir bars, soapstone counters), metal cabinets are not among them.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

EAM44, why do you think those are lab cabinets? My grandmother had them in her kitchen when I was a child--so did a lot of other people.

I love those pictures! Sometimes I wish I was brave enough to commit to that much color, but I don't think it would be a long-term relationship.

ps, I actually have labtops in my kitchen. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: vintage metal kitchen cabs

• nancyjwb
    9 years ago

Those cabinets look just like mine! I have two styles of metal cabinets cobbled together in my kitchen by the PO. Cool to see how nice they look painted up! But there are some things I hate about them: the wire shelves and the way the dishes rattle in the wall cabinets when i close the doors, to name a few! I can see how you would like them if you were after that look. So I will probably hold out for a new kitchen! ....hopefully not toooo many years down the road!....

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I still have regrets about the house-we-almost-bought several years ago. It was vintage everything, right down to the metal kitchen cabinets and red formica countertops with metal edging. Those cabinets were much higher quality than the thin, rattly cabinets-to-go at H.D. or Lowe's. They had so many features ahead of their time, too. I'd love to be able to redo a kitchen some day with Youngstown or St. Charles cabinets. Feast your eyes on some of these.

Here is a link that might be useful: vintage steel cabinets

• eam44
    9 years ago

I didn't say they were lab cabinets. I consider them a "lab" element because I've only encountered metal cabs in science labs constructed in the 50s, and in commercial kitchens; these cabinets did not originate in a commercial kitchen.

You grandmother may have owned them, but would they be your first choice? Or even your second? I've worked with them in the lab. They'd be a deal breaker for me.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

Given the choice between brand new and a set of good vintage metal cabinets, I'd choose the metal cabs. But I like re-using salvaged items. I think my grandmother was happy to get rid of hers (and the drainboard sink) when my uncle offered to build her new cabinets. I don't remember what happened to them--probably sent to the local dump.

I own a couple of vintage free-standing metal kitchen cabinets, used for storage--one in the former buttery, one in the garage, each covered in layers of old paint. They aren't in the greatest shape, but if I could get them to look anything like the cabinets in the article above, I'd certainly use them in the house.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

I like that a lot!!
    I really believe in those kinds of cabinets for kitchens- truly functional. As lovely as furniture style cabinets can be, if it's a real working kitchen, the truth is adorned wooden cabinets put form before function. Not that there is anything wrong with that per se (I'm going to have such concessions in my kitchen), but functionality never goes out of style in my mind.

• practigal
    9 years ago

I had to laugh. The article says that they replaced the kitchen that looked like it belonged to a "grandma in a bad 80s movie" with something "fresh, modern". But to me, it looks like they replaced it was something that would've been their "great-grandma in a good 50s movie." I really liked almost everything about it (except the open shelving....dust, dust, dust...but maybe putting the AC directly above the shelves keeps that from happening?) but it looks like a much older style to me.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

My mom put metal cabinets in her newly-built house in 1962. They were way ahead of the game, in that they were a gorgeous, steel, dark cadet-ish blue. They had solid shelves, didn't rattle and they were extremely cool.

I frequently see metal cabs at the Second Chance reuse center in Baltimore. Turquoise, light pink, white are common colors.

I dislike open shelving for the same reasons tomatofreak mentioned: cats. I heard a noise this morning, and there was Waylon on top of the fridge, trying to get on top of the fridge cabinet. A great question in life: WHY!?!

Pretty cool, though.

Nancyjb, you know that thin padding stuff you wrap dishes in? Actually, usually between plates, for example? Not bubble wrap, obviously, but that stuff could go on the shelves under your dishes and it would stop the rattle. If that's too soft, look at places like Harriet Carter for plastic liners for wire shelves. I hate rattles, too. You kind of wait for it and wince.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

practigal, I thought the same thing! I do like the 50's grandma's kitchen better :-)

• nancyjwb
    9 years ago

CEFreeman- great idea, thanks! I'll have to check that out.

• ellabee_2016
    9 years ago

@ EAM44: What are stir bars?

You mentioned them among "lab-like" elements above:

:: vertical dish drainer, stir bars, soapstone counters, metal cabinets ::

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ellabee, I just came back to this thread and I want to know the same thing! I also don't - can't? - see a vertical dishdrainer, but I think I want one. I looked for more photos, but didn't find any.

Something else I'd like to know: Is that a wall-mounted AC up near the ceiling over the shelves? If I ever get to do a house from scratch, I will have those, rather than central air.

• nancyjwb
    9 years ago

tomato freak- that looks like a unit called a mini split (I think). My parents are putting a few in their old farmhouse without central air. They're supposedly pretty efficient, but I don't really know much about it. Can I ask, why would you prefer individual units to central air? Lots of people in my area don't have it and wish they did! :))

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nancyjwb, I'm pretty sure it's one of these. I've read a lot of reviews, all positive. For one thing, you wouldn't have ductwork to collect dust and heaven knows what else that contributes to your allergies. For another - really important to me - is the "whisper quiet" feature. We have split systems here and, although we were assured they would be quiet, they are not. Nor are they as efficient as promised. I will say, there is no way on earth I could live here without AC of whatever kind.

Here is a link that might be useful: ductless air conditioning

• iamerikandersson
    9 years ago

I really love this blue kitchen. Renovation of kitchen fully changed the look of the kitchen. It's looking brand new kitchen. Nice remodeling.

• nancyjwb
    9 years ago

tomatofreak- interesting to hear your experience with these units. I really don't know too much about them, I've just heard them being discussed a few times recently. For my parents, they will be replacing two window ac units that sound like jets! One of which is in the kitchen, making it impossible to have a conversation over a meal! :/ I hope it will be an improvement over that....