Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penelopejosephine

(Pretty) Please help with photos of open shelves!

penelopejosephine
14 years ago

We met with our cabinet maker this morning. I'm having a hard time with the upper cabinets in the one corner we have in our kitchen. He suggested an articulated door for the corner cabinet but I have never liked how they operate (or get dinged up). I had never thought of open shelving, but found myself suggesting and leaning this direction. I know there have been photos in the past but I cannot remember the kitchens they belong in and the search function is coming up blank. A huge thank you for any photos or suggestions of kitchens to look at in the finished kitchen blog :)

Comments (14)

• pps7
    14 years ago

We are doing open shelves. Here are a few of my inspiration photos.

{{gwi:1591007}}

• segbrown
    14 years ago

This is what we did with our one corner; I wasn't sure about it at first (hard to picture in the drawing), but I am very pleased with how it works. It leaves a little spot in the corner to tuck away a mixer or toaster or something.

• apophrenia
    14 years ago

By all means don't let yourself get talked into doing the articulated corner door on the upper cabinet! I have one (installed by PO), and I hate it. It never seems to stay closed properly, it gets really dinged up, and it doesn't take very much at all to throw it out of alignment altogether, requiring a lot of fiddling and cursing to rehang the door properly. Also, unless your counters are really deep, you'll likely find yourself bonking yourself in the head with it with depressing regularity. At least, I sure do. It's the #1 thing I'm looking forward to getting rid of once we can get started on a remodel. It's just awful (and it doesn't help that it's the only place I've got right now to store our dishes, so I need to deal with it *constantly*. Grrrr....)

I really like segbrown's corner! It looks great, and seems like it would give you a far more useful space than the usual corner cabinet arrangements, which even left open, tend to have a depth problem that make them sort of a pain to use. (In fact, I'm filing that picture away for future reference for myself. Thanks!) I'm sure it's a lot more cost effective than a cabinet as well. Your cabinet guy or any carpenter could probably whip up something like that in a jiff.

• farmhousebound
    14 years ago

I need to take some updated pictures as the window has now been painted and looks a little more finished. I love my open shelving.

• penelopejosephine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! I'm leaning more and more towards the open shelving (ours would be done on the corner...so "L" shaped shelving with cabinets flanking either side). Does anyone remember a kitchen where the owner displayed all white pieces on her shelves with one pink vase? I could be off on the colors here- it's been awhile. Thanks!

• weidiii
    14 years ago

In that first pic there are only 11 little things on the shelves...and like all the other pics it's staged beautifully. I lived with open shelves on a much, much smaller scale. I loved the open space at eye level but things got yucky...needed constant dusting/wiping/editing....if you're disciplined go for it...I gave up

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Look at my post about "white granite or marble backsplash". It's one of the posts still visible. There are two pictures posted that have open shelves.

• penelopejosephine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the photos! It's helpful to see some options. I'm still hitting the finished kitchens blog trying to find good examples to show my husband.

Segbrown...it is helpful to see your cabinet. Ours would wrap around the corner (and not go to the counter) but would be similar. It's helpful to see your you utilize your shelving!

farmhousebound...I LOVE your kitchen. I originally started out wanting cabinets that were a similar green as you have. Although we changed to white, I am always drawn to that color. Your kitchen is very inviting :)

thanks again!

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

I really like this one. it has the hinged door - which I don't like either, but it could be done w/o the door on it and then put cabs w/doors on either side.

• westsider40
    14 years ago

Take a look at a current thread by trailrunner, "...big....cutting board". You will see her dh working in their open shelved kitchen. Very good photos. They are truly enjoying their space.

• rebeccainchicago
    14 years ago

I use this area to store my copper pots.

• shelayne
    14 years ago

Look at remodelqueen on this page. She has very pretty open corner shelves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Open Corner Shelves

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Here are few.

Ina Garten's Kitchen

Decorpad Green Paint

Kitchen 551

Google Image

Canopy Hood pull out spice rack (notice the corner cab)

• penelopejosephine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow! Thank you so much for the additional photos. I've been back and forth as to whether I wanted to do the corner shelves. I was leaning towards just going for it, but seeing the additional pictures has really helped me feel comfortable with it. Thank you!

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm