Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help from savvy counter stool shoppers

Posted by debrak_2008 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 14:07

I am not that great of a shopper so could use some help.

Attached is a counter stool that I like.

Features needed/wanted:

4 legs, not a pedestal

Swivel

Chrome or SS

If a back then a padded one. Concerned about wood or metal hitting the edge of the granite.

Will consider backless, low back, high back

I guess I would prefer a low back as I'm afraid it will take away from the look of the island.

Price less than $100 each.

What do you think of the one attached? Are there better deals out there? Thoughts on my concern about the look of the island?

Right now with no stools at all, I like the open look and how there are no chairs in the way.

Here is a photo of the island. Kitchen is much more finished now.
Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Counter stool

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help from savvy counter stool shoppers

Have you tried overstock.com? They have a lot of inexpensive swivel stools that are counter-height or adjustable.

Here is a link that might be useful: overstock swivel (counter height)

o

if you go with a backed stool, you wont be able to slide them completely under the counter�just stating the obvious but necessary :-) I agree with bluej422, i got mine at overstock: best prices with decent quality. Good Luck!

o

DH wants some sort of back. I was hoping to find one with a low back but not in my price range. I think all the ones I saw on overstock don't have a fulled padded back. Most are wood or metal. I'll keep watching overstock!

o

I don't have an answer, but know that "counter height" can mean different heights - anything from 24" to 30". If you can't sit on them in the store next to a counter or something, then you can be stuck. Good luck.

o

World market and Pier 1 have a nice selection and fair prices. No low backs though. If you want swivel, you have just eliminated 60% of stools. In my shopping, I find more that do not swivel than do.

4 legs, swivel, under $100 is CG Sparks Iron swivel stool at Wayfair:
http://www.wayfair.com/CG-Sparks-Iron-Swivel-Stool-CQG1049.html

Crate and barrel spin stools:
http://www.wayfair.com/CG-Sparks-Iron-Swivel-Stool-CQG1049.html

Good luck!

o

Check out Kohls.com too. They have a huge selection. With the sales they run (especially at the holidays) you can get an awesome deal. I think our stools came in right at 1/2 price and the phone operator sales lady I ordered thru (vs placing the order online) waived the extra $60 shipping surcharge per stool too.

Drbeanie brings up a good point. counter height can be anywhere from 24" seat height to 28" seat height. Its amazing how much difference a couple inches makes in a counter stool! 24" ones felt too short for us, while 28" worked nicely, but if someone with bigger legs than ours came over, they might have an issue. In the end, 26" was the height for us. I would recommend buying a couple different stools in different heights, bringing them home and testing them out. Return the ones that don't work for you. We went through 3 different ones before deciding on the 4th. With that being said, DH did reel me in as I would have likely brought home even more than that!

I really like the stool you have posted. Very sleek, looks comfy, adjustable height from 26-30.5" and appears easy to clean. All pluses in my book and comes in on budget. The price on Wayfair was the best Icould find doing a quick search online. I'd pull the trigger!

If you're still not sure, though, I did find this wood and chrome backless stool that may work as well...

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1238184/winsome-linea-counter-stool.jsp

Hope this helps!

o

I looked a houzz.com last night for ideas. Every stool that fit the bill and had a low back either had a pedestal base or cost a fortune.

DH agreed to skip the back. This will make things much easier. I still want swivel.

Good point on the height. That is one reason I'm concerned about ordering on line. I will check out the links everyone posted. I'm guessing if I order on line but don't like it I can return it to a local store. I'll have to verify that. I will also check out the local stores again.

Maybe I can determine a good height from local stools and then order on line if a better deal. I do remember one GWer had trouble because different brands measured stool heights differently.

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here