Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodi_socal

Neverdunn...Can you post pics of your kitchen?

Jodi_SoCal
15 years ago

I found an old post from September that said you were nearly done with your kitchen and that you were using Impala Black granite with Fire & Ice backsplash, which is what we used in our kitchen. Would love to see how it turned out. Thanks!

Jodi-

Comments (22)

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pushing this back to the top in hopes that Neverdunn see it.

• jnjmom
    15 years ago

Here's a bump for ya...

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

let's see it!

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for helping! :-)

• neverdunn
    15 years ago

Sure guys... I got so caught up in my holiday baking and roasting that my hands have been covered in flour and not the keyboard. Here's some!

Before Grout and enhancer:

• morton5
    15 years ago

Oh wow, it looks fantastic. Looks like you enhanced the stone, as did I. Did you get your finishing pieces from Jeffrey Court? I used their glass half-rounds in coral (they match the coppery-colored glass). They were ridiculously expensive-- $16.50 per 8 inch piece.

The painters just left so I think I am finally done (except window treatments).

• rnest44
    15 years ago

I love your cabinets! Would share if that is applied molding with a recessed panel?
    Also gotta say I think the bling and the backsplash are absolutely fabulous together.
    Happy baking and roasting!

• danielle00
    15 years ago

love the backsplash! good job!

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting!!! Looks great! Can't blame you at all for wanting to bake in that beautiful kitchen instead of hitting the keyboard.

Question ... on the first, second and third photos, there appears to be photos overlapping, or do you really have two separate parts of the kitchen?

Jodi-

• neverdunn
    15 years ago

Jodi -

Sort of. I'll take some long shots from a distance so you can see what I am talking about. It's basically a U-shaped kitchen, but there's a little nook there. It's a long story, but that corner area (where the toaster oven is) used to be an area with 3 door openings. There was a door opening to the right, which went out to the backyard. There was a door opening to the left, which went down to the basement. Lastly, there was a door opening straight ahead of you, which want to a half-bath.

The half-bath off the kitchen always grossed me out, so part I of the kitchen remodel was actually a bathroom remodel. We relocated the bathroom, and added to it, actually, shifting the entrance 90 degrees so it was off the hallway.

Additionally, we eliminated the back door, closed it up, and replaced it with sliding glass doors in the dining room (previously double hung windows). Last, we reversed the direction of the staircase, so we could also access the basement stairs from the hall, instead of the kitchen.

End result was 6 feet of gained counterspace, a better layout, and much more room in what was a fairly small kitchen to now a - medium sized kitchen.

• neverdunn
    15 years ago

I didn't get the pencil pieces from Jeffrey Court. I bought them from Cancos (a local tiles place in NY). They had some greyish/greenish/tannish slate that matched well.

They were about $5-$6 for 6 inch pieces.

The crown moulding is a about 6 inches tall, total, I think, and is a 2 piece thing. I apologize if I'm not up on the moulding lingo. There was a base piece, and then the crown went in front of it. I can post some pictures where they only have part of the moulding up so you can see what I'm talking about.

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow Neverdunn, what a project you had on your hands! I can't even begin to visualize it. I look forward to seeing the distance shots.

Jodi-

• neverdunn
    15 years ago

Jodi -

Here are a few more so you can see the nook I was talking about....

• morton5
    15 years ago

Neverdunn, it looks gorgeous, and well-laid-out given the quirkiness of the space. Congratulations on a job welldunn (sorry).

• neverdunn
    15 years ago

It was actually a very common house layout - 1950's & 1960's ranches in the NY suburbs...

Combination LR/DR, with the kitchen nestled in between.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Neverdunn, what tile did you use for the kitchen? What sizes are the tiles and what is the grout color you used? I like that tile for my kitchen from these pics but in person in my kitchen with different lighting, they may not look the same. I also am considering a few others when I am ready to do my kitchen after my busy season. When you have time, I would love to know what you used. I LOVE your kitchen, especially the floors, backsplash and kitchen cabinets.

• rnest44
    15 years ago

When I read what you did to get to the space you have I think you had great vision. Thanks for posting your inviting new kitchen. It inspires those of us just getting started.

• neverdunn
    15 years ago

Lynn,

I used Crossville's Palais series. They are 12 x 18's laid in a herringbone pattern. Sanded grout, 1/8". The grout color is "Almond"

The kitchen cabinets are Medallion, Hazelnut finish, St. Andrews Door style (which is one of their mid-range door styles.) I think Lowe's Schuler calls it "Windsor"

• serendipity01
    15 years ago

Neverdunn,

Is your Impala black granite honed? How has it held up so far for you?

Thanks,
    claire

• katrine822
    15 years ago

Neverdunn,
    On the oft chance, do you know the manufacturer of your slate pencil finishing pieces or any other pertinent info? The tile shops up here in WNY act like they've never heard of such a beast and keep pushing glass pencils.

Thanks!

• PoorOwner
    15 years ago

Hi, it looks beautiful!! May I ask what kind of sealer/enhancer is on it, does it leave a residue on the glass blocks?

• luckymom23
    15 years ago

Beautiful Kitchen! and another question for you...could you tell me how wide the cabinets/counters are on each side of your cooktop? Thanks!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths