Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
five4me_gw

Layout help please.. - Galley Kitchen for 2 - ideas encouraged

five4me
11 years ago

I am remodeling my kitchen and could use as much input as possible. Here are the details. It is a galley kitchen with 147" on either side plus a 3" reveal near the slider.

Enter the house and there is a small foyer of about 6 feet with a pocket door that leads right into the kitchen. Through the kitchen is the eating area which is not included in the 147".

There is a window on one side that I can remove or make smaller it is 33" off the pocket door and goes for 48". It is in a really bad spot. Not far enough to get 2 banks of nice sized drawers in either side but nice for added light. On the side opposite the window there is a full wall for 48" of the 147".
I am open to stacking uppers as the ceiling is very high.

Appliances are
36 in bottom KA or Miele type fridge
24" dw
30" stove tbd - could go with a 36 cooktop
24" Gaggenau steamer.
30" main sink - originally had a 33 sink base but need the extra counter area.. Would love to get a prep sink in somewhere on the fridge side as this is for 2 very active cooks who are cooking 2 separate meals and 2 labs that are always in the kitchen with us.
I am including a variety of pics and layouts. I hope this is helpful to start.

The floor plan I âÂÂdesignedâ can be changed as nothing has been ordered. We are both right handed if that makes a difference.

Comments (8)

• hags00
    11 years ago

I am just finishing my very similar kitchen only each side of my galley is only about 9'. I have 4' between the two sides of my galley. My range side is laid out exactly has you have drawn yours. I like it.

My sink side does not have a steamer but I have a counter to ceiling cabinet in the location of your steamer. I used a 36" sink base, even in my small space, for a super single Silgranite sink and I am really glad I did. I would think about expanding your sink base. My dishwasher is to the right of the sink. I prefer it that way being right handed. I like to be able to open it with my right hand and load it with my right hand. I am a little confused about what you have drawn to the right of your 18" to the right of your sink base. I would flip my dishwasher over to that side and add the 36" sink base.

I am the queen of removing pocket doors. I removed two (one on each side of the kitchen) in the house I sold this fall and one in the current kitchen with a similar layout to yours. I am not sure I would remove one opening to the foyer but I do love the look of the open space. As I type I am looking from the living room into the kitchen through the area which used to have a pocket door closing down the view.

• five4me
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My original sink base was 33 and I thought that I needed the 3 inches for counter space as DH and I are always in the kitchen together which is also why I thought it would be good to put the dw on the side by the steamer so it was out of the way. The 18 next to the sink is for trash. I'm not sure what other cabinets or drawers I will use for the rest.

What about a second sink? I would like to put one in.. Is this area too small for one?

• WestCoastGal
    11 years ago

Since you mentioned counter space is an issue and you want a prep sink here are my suggestions: I would close off the door to your entry way and move the stove to where the door was; this will give you more counter space and more cabinets, and you will have a work triangle where I think the 2 of you could work together. Put a prep sink centered on the window, again you will gain counter space plus the prep sink will be near the refrigerator which is usually where prep sinks are located. Prep sinks are usually smaller than the main, clean up sink, hence the added counter space.

• hags00
    11 years ago

I have no experience with prep sinks, my kitchens have been too small. One other thing I would caution you about is putting your range and sink across from one another on the galley if you think one of you will be in front of each at the same time. Mine are across from one another (I only have 4' between mine) and I can almost pivot and turn from my sink to my range. I imagine it would be tight if you both were in that same area at the same time.

• five4me
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So here are a few more options given the response from WestCoastGal and Hags00. I tried to close off the wall but don't appear to have much in the way of lower storage although I do now have an island. I was also able to put in a prep sink on one of the layouts.

Please advise..

• User
    11 years ago

You're on a slab. Moving plumbing on a slab is expensive, and really unnecessary in your case. You can achieve a good layout with the sink in the current location. Just put the fridge at the end of the run by the patio doors and put a range across the aisle against the solid wall. You really don't have room for all of the other stuff on your wish list though. Maybe in a different house....

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

We have a longish galley open on both ends as well. In our remodel, we will have 30" lowers and 16" uppers --> They look fine and add so much more space. I do have 5 ft between the 2 sides of the galley to make it feel less tight. Kitchen is a bit of a transit area for our layout as well. I do have sink behind the cook top and I did it to keep the sink in the same location as it was too cost-prohibitive to change the location (we are also on a slab). I did add a prep sink on the same side as the cooktop, so that I could rinse and prep veggies etc and take it to the cooktop without dripping water on the floor. In a galley, I greatly prefer a prep sink on the same counter run as the cooktop.

Here is my layout

Sink side

Cooktop side

Layout

• five4me
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the input. GWlolo, I looked at your floor plan and I would love to have 226 inches. I did take a page from your playbook and I think I'm going to try a separate fridge and freezer. That may help with the layout. I see you are going with the smaller steamer and oven. Do you think that will make a big difference? I could use the extra 5 or 6 inches that the 24 affords vs going with the 30. With all the input that I have had thus far, here is my most updated design plan. I think the freezer may be very large but I can't beat the price for a Gagg 24" full fridge and freezer.

I was also able to keep the window but not able to get in a second sink.. Instead I added a pot filler. Wondering how useful they actual are.

Again, please provide input.