Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toddimt

Single Sink Size

toddimt
13 years ago

I'm sure this topic has been debated before but couldn't come up with what I was looking for when searching.

I am getting very very close to finishing my layout. Started almost 2 years ago. The sink cabinet and size I used was there since the beginning. I think I used a 36" base assuming a 33" sink is how it goes. I believe I did this size back then based on other posting I have read. So want to make sure a 33" sink is usefull and needed. I can't go bigger but could shrink it down and use the space in other cabinets if this size in not practical.

Comments (18)

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Could you post your proposed layout so we can see how the sink relates to the rest of the kitchen? More details about your kitchen are needed to give you a thorough answer. For example:

Is this your only sink? If it's just the cleanup sink, you could go a bit smaller than 33" if you needed to gain extra counter and storage space. A single bowl 33" cleanup sink would make me a very happy person!

Are you short on counter and storage space?

• homechef
    13 years ago

I have a single bowl 33" sink - it's huge, but I like it. If storage space is at a premium, I think you could safely downsize it somewhat without sacrificing much. It depends on what else you've got going there.

• toddimt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You mean you want details :). I have been here so long that I forgot to include pertinent info.

This is the only sink. My plan shows a stainless farm sink but not sure if I will do that, a rectangular undermount a D shaped undermount.

Not short on counter space, that's for sure. Not sure about cabinet space. I know its more than I have today. I have really been putting off figuring out what exactly will go where.

Here is the layout and some renderings. I will probably do another post soon to get some final feedback on the layout in general.

• NYSteve
    13 years ago

There are certainly more experienced people here than me, but I can tell you the way I'm thinking about that same question. I know where the sink is going, and like you, that area is pretty constrained with a DW and trashcan aroudn it. Then looked at what specific thing I'd gain by making the sink smaller (or lose if I made it bigger). What would the extra 3-6" of space gain you at the cabinet level? What is left of the DW -- is that something that could benefit from the extra width?

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

Pretty obvious, so I just stating it - if you change sink cabinet sizes and want the sink centered - then you only gain 1.5 to 3" on each sides - not 6 inches on one side and zero on the other, unless you also move the window.
    Flopping for a 30" sink base...
    Are you blanking that corner between the stools and the sink? I'm not going to argue about it if you are, as I hate corners too. Its just that if you are, then the only things that can happen is that 24ish" base cabinet beside the dishwasher becomes 27ish". The trash becomes a 21" trash. I don't think the trash increase does you much good over an 18" trash pullout with frameless cabinets. Its the same size cans, just a slightly different spacing.

If you change the corner to another susan cabinet, then you can have a 15" drawer cabinet beside it. Small but ok with larger drawers on the peninsula.

So, personally I'd keep the 36" base but use a little less sink in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shiney, pretty, Ticor

• toddimt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bmorepanic,

The window will be added so size & location can be adjusted if need be. The one that won't change will be the large 4 panel slider I will be ordering this weekend. Its partially depicted by the stools.

The corner cabinet between the stools and the sink, will open on the stools side to be used for those seldom used items, since its not convenient location under the overhang for frequent use.

At face value, the only benefit/utilization of the extra space if the sink base was smaller is to add it to make the drawer bank to the left of the DW larger. So I think we are in agreement that it makes no sense.

The other corner between the sink and range I have depicted using the Blum Space corner drawers. Could be made into a corner susan but don't think I gain anything smaller sink base or not.

Only possible benefit would come from the ability to somehow get enough space to have a larger opening on the sink side of the sink/range corner to use something like the Hafele Magic corner or some other blind corner solution. Then use the 12" space that makes up the right side of the current corner to add that to the 15" wide base next to the range for wider drawers. Then could do that on the other side of the range by moving the MW. But I can't see how I would have the space to make that work and if it even would make sense functionally.

I like the sink. Its Buehl's in a single sink. I was figuring 33" wide in terms of sink if it were an undermount. The one I have drawn is a 36" farmsink.

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

I think the corner drawers or a susan make more sense than a magic corner rig on the range corner. I'm not deriding the specific device - just my general feelings about blind corner units.

I don't know that I'd have the guts for a stainless (or copper) farm sink because of the front panel. I'd be crying over every scratch and I'm guessing that it wouldn't develop "patina". I'd find myself in the strange position of trying to scrub the front of it to create more scratches so the other scratches would blend in.

• toddimt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm with you on both counts.

My MIL re-did her kitchen not long ago and has the Stainless farm sink. Then again, she doesn't cook. Ever ;).

I figure a stainless farm sink is more consistent size wise but not sure if I would manage if I go the RTA cabinet route.

Not looking to derail my own thread off topic but I am now wavering on the rangetop vs. range & a second oven. My eyes always go to range and think they look nice and substantial. Function, is what I have with pot drawers below.

I know its just a rendering but I feel like something bigger or different maybe needs to be on that range wall. A range would be a nice focal point of stainless but then I have to figure out where the pots go. Maybe a larger hood of stainless that goes to the ceiling but that might overpower the smaller rangetop. Hmmm..

• aa62579
    13 years ago

Just a comment on your range wall question. I think you could easily do something with a backsplash to fix the plain look. Maybe have something vertical above the cooktop that differs from the backsplash everywhere else.

By the way, I like your rendering. What program did you use if you don't mind sharing?

• plllog
    13 years ago

Regarding the actual sink size, rather than the cabinet, I can tell you that 18" square or round is about the minimum that is comfortable for a kitchen sink. For most people 22" wide is much better. Anything bigger than that is whatever your usage demands, such as if you want to put your roaster or cookie sheets flat in the sink.

Regarding the corner drawers, they hold as much or more as lazy susans do, and are greater or equal to the Magic thing without having to crawl over it to rescue whatever falls off. Are you buying these or having them made. There's a way to get more storage out of them than the Blum plans show. Here's my bad sketch of how mine were made. They extend back to the wall, rather than just the length of the glides, so aren't full extension (that is, they extend the full length of the full extension rails but were made bigger than that in the back). The cabinetmaker was able to carve an area for the pins to attach into.

Re the range, if it's the look you want, rather than the oven in front of your knees, you can make the cabinetry of your rangetop and pot drawers into a focal point. You can clad it in stainless, for instance. Or paint it blue. Use a slab drawer front just for the pot drawers. Or use scrollwork to make it special. Add "feet" in the toekick. That sort of thing. You can have look and function!

• toddimt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pllog,

That seems the same as what I have seen in Blums instructions for building the space corner. It has the extra triangle piece on the back side to fit/follow the rear corner. Is your different? I did a quick search on the site and google but did not see pics of your finished kitchen. Do you have a pic of this corner cabinet both closed and opened? What size is your spae corner as well? Standard 36" (12" drawer fronts)? Do you have the syncromotion on the fronts for the tight reveal?

I saw one pic you posted with a taste showing your hood and cooktop. Love the hood. Is it a modern air?

I think one thing throwing me off on the rangetop is that I am looking now at the capital culinarian and I have yet to see a photo of one yet on cabinets. Maybe after I do it will set my mind at ease.

• plllog
    13 years ago

I'm going to answer more completely in your corner topic.

Yes, it's different than the plans on the Blum site. Yes, it's 12" fronts. No syncromotion--bevels instead.

No, my kitchen has been on pause and isn't posted as such yet. Just little bits in tight shots. Yes, the hood is Modern-Aire. 48".

I'm sure you could Photoshop the Capital rangetop onto some cabinets. I don't think it would look all that different from Wolf or any of the others. I've seen people do black drawers underneath, btw, to match black knobs, and maybe black counters.

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

I only have two words about a range change - they are just something to think about. Pot Storage.

I completely understand the temptation, tho, and would not blame you for changing.

• toddimt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Plllog,

Actually the photo's of the rangetop on Capitols own site are sort of photoshoped and it looks weird and puny due to the height. The height of the rangetop is smaller than the wolf. I don't have the spec's in front of me but I think its like 2 inches shorter. It does not appear to have as much of a substantial look but that is why I am dying to see a photo of one installed. Although, I do not think that they have shipped a rangetop yet. The rangetop bottom is basically ate bottom of the drip pans. On the Range there is a cap with another metal lip above the door. So there is more space of the rangetop section then as a stand alone. Personally I think it would have looked nicer and more substantial if it included this extra section and was taller looking, more like the wolf. The other thing is if I was looking at a 48" or larger rangetop my feelings would not be the same. I think that size and 60" look substantial on their own, even over cabinets or pot drawers. I can't see swinging the room or else I would since the price difference is not drastic at this point.

Bmore,

Yeah its the whole function or form thing. I really do not have anywhere close, due to the limited drawers & sizes to shove the pots elsewhere. Even if I added a single oven and put drawers beneath, where the second over would have been, its multiple steps to go there and back. So I know the drawers under are the best option.

I will re-post my layout again shortly just to get any feedback and see if I need to make any slight changes with drawers etc.

I see no real benefit to shrinking the sink down. My only other thought was another spacecorner on the opposite corner at the peninsula but the max recomended width is 18" sides. I have a 22" wide drawer now with the 3" filler so that is 25". If I put the space corner there it leaves 7" of space that can't really be used. Even another 3" from a smaller sink base only gives me 10".

• plllog
    13 years ago

Oh. I get it. Maybe they were trying to get people a utensil drawer by being shallower. If you want that look of the rim, why not look into getting it made? Everyone I know who has had small stainless things fabricated for the home has been very pleased with the price.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

There is only one reason I would go with a 36 inc as opposed to a 30. If you want a dishpan to wash in and room to rinse beside it, then 36 would be better. This is my 30 inch.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Not sure if this is covered, but you could store your pots & pans in a corner susan next to the range or rangetop. In our old kitchen, all our pots, pans, colanders, pie tins, cake pans, and various serving pieces fit in one 36-inch lazy susan (the one w/the center pole). It was a pie-cut (90-degree cut) with the doors attached to the shelves. The doors rotated in when you opened the susan and there was no "danger" of doors hitting the surrounding cabinets/appliances.

• beth
    13 years ago

I've been going through the same issue, having torn out a 36" double sink. I decided that a 30" apron or undermount is plenty big enough because the interior is around 27", and will easily fit the biggest roasting and baking pans that can go into a 30" oven.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz