Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
white quartz countertops and staining

Posted by cwyn (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 17, 10 at 13:55

We absolutely want white countertops in our kitchen. We had decided on quartz because they are supposed to be the most durable and low-maintenance option. However, one of the dealers I spoke with said that even though they are not supposed to stain, in her experience the lighter colors stain anyway. So now we are not sure what to do. We aren't the kind of people who would spill red wine on the counter and then just leave it for days on end, but we won't wipe up after every single spill or drop of something on the counter, and we will have kids around the apartment, and we will have to sublet on a fairly regular basis to people who may not be super careful because we often have to travel abroad for many months at a time for work (and we can't afford to pay for an empty NYC apartment when we do that).

The color we particularly liked was Zodiaq Snow White. We're not willing to go with a darker color, but we have started to wonder if we should go with something like Caesarstone Organic white, which has a kind of pattern/texture to it, with the idea that if it does stain a little, it would be less obvious with the color irregularities. (We'd really rather have just a solid white, but on the other hand, we don't want to spend the money on a countertop just to have it look crummy as soon as it stains.)

So here are my questions:

1) Anyone out there with white quartz countertops who has had them for a while and can comment on whether or not they stain, and if so, how bad the stains look?

2) Anyone have experience with either the Zodiaq Snow White or the Caesarstone Organic White specifically, and if so, what has been your experience with the stains showing over time?

Thanks in advance for any advice or experiences shared!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: white quartz countertops and staining

I left turmeric and curry on my white quartz. It picked up the color. I put powdered Ajax or Comet on it, and a few drops of water. Some time later, I scrubbed a bit but found it was unnecessary. The "stain" was gone.

All quartz products have a plastic or resin in them, called epoxy. I think this is what can pick up some color and stain. Bleaching it out with Ajax or Comet seems to work.

I also have a steamer. I have used it on epoxy grout in my bathrooms. Not yet tried it on the quartz. (If you have never heard of a steamer for household cleaning, read up on them. They are great.)

o

Can you get some samples of the material and play with them at home? Splash on the red wine and curry powder and see what each sample does. I don't have quartz so I can't help you there, but I've seen others suggest this technique to folks concerned with etching and staining of different materials.

o

Here comes my first post - hope it is going to be a useful one!
We just got organic white caesarstone installed about a month ago. Even through it has a grey hue to it, it still looks very white comparably to everything else. And it does stain as you would expect from a white counter top. But the stains are easy to clean with baking soda solution. One of our friends wiped counters with a colored paper napkin. He was cleaning up a spill. Thanks bro. The dye from the napkin stained our 3 day old countertops at the time. Bright sky blue. But I got it out. Caesarstone recommend using Method granite cleaner for daily cleaning. But it is only good as a polish, it does not really get stains out. For stains I just put some baking soda in water and gently work the stain using a microfiber cloth.
In our old kitchen we had white laminate counters. Stains were much bigger issue.

o

I have a sample of Cambria Snowdon White here and I left ketchup, spaghetti sauce, olive oil and a few things on it overnight to test it out. My family is pretty messy and because I don't get home from work until midnight, I don't get to see the messes until morning. The spaghetti sauce was the only stain that was a bit harder than the others to remove (probably b/c of the acidity of the tomatoes) and it there was a slight haze on the sample afterwards. I still like the white quartz but it has made me think twice about actually getting it.

We now have white laminate and I agree that stains are much harder to get out of it than the quartz.

o

I have had Zodiaq quartz Carrero Bianco for more than a year now and I have not had any issues with staining. Red wine, ketchup and bbq sauce and numerous other things have been left on it and I still have no stains or discoloring. I think it is the best counter I have had. I also have Hanstone quartz on the perimeter and it is great as well but a darker color. If you love it, I would say go with it. My laminate counters were always staining. I have no regrets

o

In a quickie defense of white laminate: our counters and peninsula, installed circa 1970, have had no issues with staining. Crayons, markers, food, it's all come out easily. My current favorite for berry stains is the Clorox spray (watch your shirt tail!), but over the years I've used lots of different things. Honest, it's still white as white.

o

The best advice is to receive a sample of the quartz and test it out yourself to see if it holds up to your regular kitchen usage.

o

Thanks everyone for your responses (and in particular the cleaning tips!). We have had all the samples in our kitchen on the countertop for a month, with all kinds of stuff getting spilled on it and no regular cleanup (although I haven't gone out of my way to spill stuff on them), and none of them have stained. (We've also had white laminate countertops in tons of rentals, and never had a problem with those staining either, as long as we were willing to do a little scrubbing with the right cleaners.)

It's interesting that no one here has actually had stains that couldn't be cleaned out. Now we'll just have to decide by tomorrow whether we should go with the solid white Zodiaq color which we prefer, or whether we should go with the Caesarstone organic white color with its pattern in case some milder stains do end up appearing eventually and resisting cleaning. I'm going to sleep on it and then try to decide in the morning. Thanks again!

o

Just a short update: I put a bunch of stuff on the samples overnight as one last test - catsup, pomegranate juice, coffee grounds, cranberry juice - and left them overnight. This morning everything came off with just soap and water, and there were no stains at all. So I'm inclined to risk going with the more pure/solid Snow White Zodiaq tile, since we like it better. (I'm just hoping that the feature of having stains pop up isn't something that simply happens when the countertop gets older...)

Thanks again for all the responses!

o

I love opaque solid white look. I got the White Zeuss silestone color installed and after installed it there was a 2 inch material on the straight edge. I was told a belt buckle can rub off onto the stone.

I love the white but only the serious cambria representative was honest to say that there is a white disclosure that normal use will cause staining on the white. I have read a ton of negative stuff re: ceasarstone how it stains and chips, etc.

I won't put stuff on their samples to see how the stuff comes out. But after I saw the 2 inch line on the solid white then I have gotten bianco carrerra, rain forest brown and am not getting natural refections ceasarstone. But I think ceasarstone is full of lies in that the warranty was not stood by for a customer who was shafted. Plus the stuff does not look pretty or great.

What does anybody suggest re: bathroon vanities and tile on the floor? I have pink tile on the walls and white vanity, toilet, and bianco carrera marble vanity top in bathroom number one and need a floor? I have a second bath with pink tile on the walls, white vanity toilet, etc. and need a vanity top I am thinking about natural reflections ceasarstone; but I don't like it. I also need a floor for that bathroom too. I have a third bathroom with tan tile on the walls and brown forest marble that I need a floor for?

I also need a new kitchen and cabinets. Ideas? I like light and open feel. I don't like dark.

I am a white lover. Would like a good husband too. Single and available too: lisajacobs8@hotmail.com

o

I installed Samsung Radianz (Everest White) counter tops in my kitchen 8 weeks ago & w/in days after install it started getting stained. I had no idea Quartz would stain & so I wasn't even being careful... tomato sauce ring, drops of tea, etc. There was a stray ball point pen mark that came up using 100% chlorox. Oddly enough, I've found some areas of the stone (to the left of my stove top) don't stain as easily as others (to the right of my sink). Also there's a yellow ring appearing around the sink faucet that I can't scrub away with a toothbrush. ??? There are certain meals where my kids are restricted from eating at the bar... spaghetti, mustard/ketchup, hawaiian punch. I thought I was buying a low-maintenance item but am sorely mistaken. I'm going to try the soft scrub. :(

o

I have Cambria Dovedale.

Red pasta sauce,red wine,lemon juice,tumeric tandoori sauce,etc nothing has left a stain. Mild dish soap and green scrubbie sponge clean everything.

o

I have Caesarstone Blizzard and we had a close call with a black sharpie bleeding through some felt...AAAAAAH. But put a little puddle of bleach on the spot and and left it there for 20 minute intervals and it worked! WHEW! Caesarstone told us to use SoftScrub with bleach. IT has been great! My husband reads the newspaper at the counter every morning and never fails to leave newsprint on the counter, Softscrub works like a charm!

o

It doesn't really matter what brand of quartz countertop you buy. Every brand is made on the same machines from a company in Italy and they all use the same resins so from brand to brand the material is virtually the same.

quartz countertops are roughly 30% resins and 70% rock chips and other inclusions. The "90 some percent pure" number you see in the quartz OEM advertisements is based on weight, not volume.

regardless, it is actually difficult to stain a quartz top. wine, juice, and other typical staining agents normally will not stain quartz. In fact, in several 1000 jobs I've only seen quartz wrecked twice, once by dye which bled out of a childs paper school folder and another when some "Kilz" paint primer was spilled onto the counter.

in my experience the real risk for quartz is heat damage. it's not that difficult to scorch the resin component of the material. this happens at least as often as a stain in a natural stone. Every single quartz manufacturer specifically excludes heat damage from their warranty.

Get your white tops, be reasonably careful, protect them from heat, and you should have beautiful counters for a long time.

o

It's been a while since this thread has been updated. I'm in the process of picking out a white Caesarstone countertop. Is the bottom line that you would avoid white, or that stains can be removed with Softscrub? I would love to hear from those of you who have had a white Caesarstone counter for an extended period of time.

Thanks!

o

I can't believe it's been almost a year with the new kitchen! But it has. We have Caesarstone Blizzard and have had no problems with staining. Love the countertop!

o

Does any one have OneQuartz by DalTile in the Summer Dawn color? I am looking for any info or larger photos of it. It is the same composition as the other quartz brands (SileStone Caesarstone) etc. Any feed back would be appreciated!

o

We have white Silestone (blanco maple) and it appears to be unstainable. Specifically, I've left red wine and coffee on it for over 12 hours and it wipes up easily with just a moist cloth without leaving any discernable mark.

o

I'm hoping that's true of my Ceasarstone Organic White too - it was true of the samples - red wine, lemon juice mustard tea oil etc.

o

LOVE my Silestone Lagoon! Only one thing left a stain...not really sure what it was. But with some Totally Awesome cleaner from the dollar store, it came right up.
I'll try the baking soda next time...that's good to know.

o
Ps. Dark Granite

And let me add. IN my last house, I had darker granite...this is SO much easier to keep clean...it looks amazing all the time. I will never go with a darker granite or quartz ever again!

o

I won't go dark again either. I like the look of a dark counter with white and certain stained cabinets. It looks great, like a clean, shiny black car looks so beautiful. But dark is hard to keep clean and, I don't know, it's like reading white text on a black background, it's just more pleasant working with a lighter background.

o

I had a really swirly granite on the perimeter counters in my previous home (and black on the island). Loved it. This time though - pure white! I figure if you can see it, you're more likely to clean it up.

o

Glad to see this thread resurrected. I've had uba tuba for 20 years and we are used to taking items from the oven and placing them directly on the counter. I was planning to do Silestone in our remodel, mostly because of kompys posted photos of her SS Lagoon. I just took a look at the Silestone warranty about cracking from thermal shock, and now I have to re-think this decision. I am afraid that me or my family may forget and place a hot item directly on the Silestone and damage or crack it. Here's the warranty statement:
Ā» SilestoneĀ® Surfaces are stone products which will not crack unless an external force or interaction causes the crack such as impacts, uneven cabinets or flooring, structural settling or movements, thermal shock from the use of crock pots, skillets or other hot items placed directly on the SilestoneĀ® Surfaces, improper installation or other conditions in the home that may cause the SilestoneĀ® Surfaces to shift. Therefore, cracks are not covered by this warranty. Caution: Do not use crock pots, skillets or other hot items directly on your SilestoneĀ® Surfaces. Always place them on a trivet or cutting board to protect your SilestoneĀ® from thermal shock.

o

@chitownkat: I have Summer Dawn by Daltile. Installed about a month ago and is beautiful!!! HOWEVER, when contractor removed tape (taped a covering over the countertops to protect them while the reno was being completed) the tape left a long black mark and I cannot get it out. I'm waiting to speak with the Daltile people, because we couldn't remove the mark. Any suggestions would be helpful. I purchased the quartz because it's supposed to be extremely durable,but now I'm wondering if I'm going to be regretting the decision...

o

Perry Mason: the marks from the tape are the contractors problem. If he can't get them off he should replace the tops. He used the wrong tape (his fault) as there are several options for tape that would not mar the countertops.

Try putting a little acetone on a rag and cleaning the black mark. I know the quartz OEM's don't recommend acetone but I also know I've used it on several occasions with good results.

o

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking it's both the fabricator and the contractor. The black mark is from the tape's edge, which I initially thought was just dirt and would come off. The first Daltile rep said warranty claim had to be made through fabricator. Second rep claimed the quartz had to be sealed. That's the first time hearing quartz had to be sealed. Is that right? That was the whole point of going with quartz as oppose to granite!

o

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking it's both the fabricator and the contractor. The black mark is from the tape's edge, which I initially thought was just dirt and would come off. The first Daltile rep said warranty claim had to be made through fabricator. Second rep claimed the quartz had to be sealed. That's the first time hearing quartz had to be sealed. Is that right? That was the whole point of going with quartz as oppose to granite!

o

o

We just had Silestone installed with a marble-look in a "leather" finish. It doesn't have to be sealed, but the countertop company did warn me that it would be a little harder to wipe off than the shiny finish.

The owner of the company told me that their "go to" product for cleaning is Barkeepers Friend liquid. So far, haven't needed it!

o

fogbound, how do you like the silestone with the leather finish? Does it show water spots or streaks? Do you find it harder to clean than other traditional finishes?

o

I just wanted to add to this thread for posterity:

I have a sample of the Color Quartz brand in the color called Fiji White. It is almost identical in color to Ceasarstone Organic White, but comes in larger slab sizes. I have been stain testing the last couple days and here are my results:

Red Wine, BBQ sauce, strawberry cut in half placed on the surface, pizza sauce- All wipe up with just soap and water on a paper towel, no staining present

Turmeric- stain present after wiping with soap and water. Spraying with 409 or Soft Scrub with Bleach takes it out immediately with no special scrubbing

Black sharpie marker (yes I know it's extreme)- this one was tough. I tried Bar Keepers Friend, Bon Ami, 409, Comet with Bleach and Magic Eraser. None of these took out the stain or even faded it much. The thing that worked was Soft Scrub with Bleach, but I had to let it soak on for a few hours. I checked at 60 minute intervals and it kept fading. After about 2.5 hours the stain was completely gone and I did not see any sheen difference from leaving the Soft Scrub with bleach sitting on there for that long.

Olive Oil- I left maybe a half a teaspoon or less of olive oil sitting in a puddle for about an hour on the surface. I did see a dark ring after wiping up, tried all the cleaning products I mentioned above, and no change. Now I am putting a baking soda and water poultice on there with plastic wrap. I'll check in a few hours, and then leave over night if necessary.

The 'dark ring' is sort of a greyish color that matches the other mottling of this color if you are familiar with this color it you will know what I mean. But the center of the puddle did not darken, just the perimeter of the oil puddle, which is also a bit odd to me.

This was surprising to me because I thought oil was not supposed to be a problem on quartz. I am going to repeat the oil test on another section of the quartz sample tomorrow.

Has anyone else had problems with oil staining on light colored quartz products?

o

illini: oil test results?

o

Have you tried putting hydrogen peroxide on these stains for a while? Just the OTC stuff. Works great on organic stains.

o

results:

I decided the first test was not a stain, but actually the mottling of the countertop itself. The ring wasn't circular enough to match the puddle of the oil I had put down- pure coincidence.

To be sure I repeated the test on another section of counter where I looked to be sure there wasn't any ring shape color variation of the quartz- and no stain resulted after that test.

I will keep the peroxide in mind for any future stains/stain testing

Thanks

o

I hope you are aware that once you have quartz in your kitchen, the only approved cleanser is Soft Scrub with Bleach. Several of your test cleansers will scratch the resins and you'll have a dull spot on your counter. I don't know how hydrogen peroxide interacts with resin.

o

good to know, thanks mayflowers!

I didn't see any dull spots on my sample but I wouldn't want to take any chances if I do put quartz in my kitchen.

Besides the softscrub with bleach, can other milder cleaners be used, such as dawn/water, or a multi-surface cleaner, fantastic or 409? The 409 worked amazing on the turmeric.

o

Yes, those are fine for daily cleaning. i should have clarified that only SS with Bleach is recommended for stain removal. My Caesarstone counter was scratched with Barkeeper's Friend--fortunately not by me but by the fabricator, who replaced the counter.

o

Does anyone have experiences with scratches? I have the frosty carrina caesarstone for my island and I noticed grey scratches. They aren't very obvious yet because I only have a few of them and the look is of marble so there's grey veins, but if anyone has experience on how to remove scratches I would be grateful!

o

What a great post that I am going to save and print when I am ready for my countertops in a few months. Thank you!

o

Has anyone had the same experience as Perry_Mason with black tape marks on his quartz counter top?
My EcoLuna had black marks left from straps on the installer's truck. When they cleaned the marks, they left a faded, dull mark. Then they used paste to get rid of that. The spot was was still there, so they buffed some more and the rest of the counter on that side now looks uneven and very "used" as if lots of pans have been sliding around and dulled it unevenly.The company "guru" is coming Monday to "fix" it. I am doubtful he can gloss over it. I will post the results. Any comments? I am just sick. Here is a picture that doesn't show the problem very well

o

Miss Dolly:

Unless the "guru" is going to use Steve's Polishing Pro System, I doubt he's going to get a match, as it is very difficult otherwise.

When they "buffed" did they do so mechanically or by hand?

o

The "guru" said maybe when the installers tried to get the black mark off, they created heat while buffing and changed the color of the resin (he used more technical terms.)
He worked a couple hours buffing (both by hand and with machines) or sanding the spot on with different pastes, not sure if it was Steve's. He had a truck full of tools and seemed very knowledgeable.
He finally called the fabricator and told them he couldn't get the spots out.
I am waiting to see what the company will do.
They will have to remove at least that side of the l-shaped counter. I am reading on how to cut a seam and remove the side of a quartz counter. I wish they would take it all out, including the sink area. I don't want them using a wet saw with the chance of ruining my new cabinets and refinished wood floors. I also want the joined pieces to match.
I will post the results. I hope people know that when they buy their counters from Home Depot, that is the end of their support. I am dealing with the fabricator, who hopefully will follow through.

o

The "guru" said maybe when the installers tried to get the black mark off, they created heat while buffing and changed the color of the resin (he used more technical terms.)
He worked a couple hours buffing (both by hand and with machines) or sanding the spot on with different pastes, not sure if it was Steve's. He had a truck full of tools and seemed very knowledgeable.
He finally called the fabricator and told them he couldn't get the spots out.
I am waiting to see what the company will do.
They will have to remove at least that side of the l-shaped counter.
I am concerned about them using a wet saw with the chance of ruining my new cabinets and refinished wood floors. I also want the shades of the pieces to match..
I see there are other postings now about burning spots on white quartz. It seems to be something a lot of people aren't aware of.

o

It may be a good idea to call a stone refinisher who is familiar with refinishing engineered stone using diamond abrasives.
Light colors are generally easier to work with.
All these creams and polishes are finishing products that are used to finish off a repair not start one.

o

Just to let everyone know, the stain on the white quartz was permanent. The fabricators, a big company in Denver and subcontractor for Home Depot, will be ripping them all out and installing new ones this week. They are also supplying a plumber to re-install sink, etc.

o

Hi,

We are planning a huge kitchen model and are considering Quartz Countertops.
We came across Samsung Radianz Gentle Gray, which both my husband and i liked.
But really worried about the stain part. From all the posts i understand that it can be easily removed.
Is this the case for all quartz countertops or does it vary from brand to brand?

Any reviews on the Samsung Radianz line of Quartz Countertops?

Thanks in Advance.

o

"Just to let everyone know, the stain on the white quartz was permanent."

I'm having a difficult time believing that strap marks from delivery could make permanent stains in quartz. I have no problem believing that an unsuccessful attempt to remove them could exchange one problem for another.

o

Trebruchet, you might be right about the black straps themselves not causing the staining.

One of the fabricator consultants said it was the HEAT from the friction of the black straps that probably caused the problem - and then also their rubbing around on it didn't help either.

o

We just had Zodiaq Coarse Carrara quartz installed last week. So far 3 coffee stains that had time to dry have stained the counter top and will not come out. We have used the Greased Lightening cleaner as recommended on the manufacturer's website. They say not to use any product that contains bleach. It has also scratched already. Has anyone else had problems with this product and stains?

o

Caesarstone still recommends Softscrub Liquid Gel with Bleach for stains. I just looked at Cambria's website and they only want you to use a warm cloth, mild soap on occasion. That won't cut it when you're cooking, which includes raw meat. You're not going to live with a stained counter either. Quartz companies are notorious for CTA. The warranties weren't like this two years ago when I bought mine. I'm not sure I'd buy it today.

It's a polyester resin and it will scratch if you try hard enough. What scratched it? Can you feel the scratch? Is it mainly visible where there's a light source shining across the surface?

o

I'm not sure what caused the scratch but it was more then likely caused by a dish or such. You can see a gray streak where the scratch is and feel it and yes, it shows with light on it. We have also noticed a small blister looking spot in the same area. We have been very careful after the first coffee stain and don't set pans or anything directly on the countertops. We also use cutting boards.

o

Thank you everyone for sharing as I am now looking for a very light counter as I like working on light surfaces and I am learning all I can before I revisit my kitchen. I have counter samples right now next to a white door on my almond laminte counters. Since my tile floors are installed, I see that the Imperial Danby Marble looks wonderful, the Bianco Romano Granite look nice also with creamier slab samples, Giallo Ornamental actually looks OK also, and New Venetian Gold looks nice. The Silestone Raven looks very nice picking up the gray veins and making the tile look more beige and creamy but I am not sure I can live with such a dark counter.

I still would like to get a sample of the Taj Mahal Quartzite and some of the newer Quartz Countertops when samples are available again since they are backordered.

I will post pictures when I am ready for help as I am so busy still and behind in my work and going to start to install the hardwood floors soon in my other rooms downstairs.

o

it will scratch if you try hard enough

Maybe it depends on the brand, but when someone else asked, I tried really hard to scratch my Ceasarstone (extra piece), using a chef's knife, and I couldn't do it. We also have had no lasting stains (nothing that wouldn't just wash off with water) in 8 months, and we are not careful in our kitchen except for trying to use trivets most of the time.

o

I have dark gray mottled Caesarstone and if there were any stains, I probably wouldn't be able to see them.

For the most part, I use just water and Dawn for cleaning. I always cut and prep on a cutting board, but when people pour wine, some gets spilled. It all cleans up fine.

Now that the counters are going on three years old, I'm far less paranoid as to what I use for cleaning. Occasionally I use Method All Purpose because I like the grapefruit smell. Sometimes I use Pledge wipes for a mirror finish.

No complaints with Caesarstone at all. Like sjhockeyfan, I tried to scratch the extra piece they gave me and I couldn't do it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here