Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amberm145_gw

Hafele vs Rev-a-shelf vs ???

amberm145_gw
9 years ago

What's the recommended brand of cabinet pull-outs? Is Hafele better than Rev-a-shelf? Is there something better?

In my current kitchen, space was a bit more limited, so we got cabinets that fit the space, and the kitchen supplier put in the pull outs. They put in Rev-a-Shelf, and I've hated them since day one. We have 2 12" cabinets, and 1 15" cabinet, all intended to have bins for dog food and recycling. The bins that came with the Rev-a-Shelf pull outs only utilize a fraction of the cabinet cavity, which is a huge waste in a kitchen with limited space. The other issue is that the cabinets with Rev-a-shelf pullouts never close properly. We looked into replacing them when we the kitchen got installed and we realized how useless they were. But we couldn't find reasonable replacements at the time.

Now we can put in bigger cabinets, but I don't want to do that just to waste even more space.

Hafele seems to have more options. Are they generally better quality?

Is there another manufacturer I should consider?

Comments (14)

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Hafele is tons better. But, the "wasted space" is usually the function of having framed cabinets, not the pull outs themselves.

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

Are you saying that you can/will replace your current cabinets? If so, skip add-on pullouts and go with this sort of thing:

for trash/dog food/recycling
    {{gwi:2141849}}
    {{gwi:2141850}}

This is a visual on why face frame cabinets with pull-outs can only utilize a fraction of the actual space. This is one of our old cabinets from the back side after we removed it. The pull-outs were a big improvement over the original shelves, but still way less useful than the drawers we replaced them with.

• amberm145_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, I have frameless cabinets. The bins take up just over half the space from front to back of the cabinets, and are about 2/3 the height of the inside of the cabinet. Maybe they've realized how stupid that is, and make the bins bigger now, and the holders to fit. But 3 years ago, this was all I could get.

Here's a sketch of the a side view of the inside of my cabinet.

And the 15" cabinet uses the same bin as the 12" cabinet.

• amberm145_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, suzanne, I was posting at the same time as you. I am building a new house. So, all new cabinets.

However, in my experience, when you order cabinets "with pull outs", they slap in 3rd party hardware. That's what happened when I put in the current cabinets. I thought I was buying Kitchen Craft cabinets, and they came with pull outs, the same way it comes with drawers, or hinges. But the local supplier decided they didn't like Kitchen Craft's hardware, and bought it from RAS. I keep thinking, how bad is KC hardware if THIS is an improvement???

I am not going with Kitchen Craft again. But when I asked what pull-outs were available with potential cabinet lines, the KD said I could get whatever I wanted from a 3rd party supplier.

And I TRIED looking at volume, and there just wasn't any alternatives to the garbage I have now.

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

If you have frameless cabinets you can probably reuse your doors with Ikea pullouts by modifying the Ikea drawers. Ikea uses Blum hardware and it is smooth like buttah. Youcan use a tall drawer base and the normal door I have two of he 15 inch ones in my basement kitchenette and they work really well, soft close and all.

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

there just wasn't any alternatives to the garbage I have"
    If you already know why ask?
    RAS # 5349-1527-DM-2 double 27, to total 54 qts
    11-3/4 x 22-1/4 deep x 19 tall

All mfgs use third party accessories, some also male a very few of their own

• jdesign_gw
    9 years ago

The best solution I always use is to buy two rubbermaid 3541 16gal slim jim trash bins at a restaurant supply or online. One grey and one blue for recycling. They are 23" x 11" x 24" tall and hold a lot. More than double everything else I've found. You have to calculate the cabinet to fit but it can be done. I use Blum tandem bottom mount slides made especially for tash pull-outs with a wood or other drawer to set them in. I also always use Blum's servo motorized openers them so all you need to do is bump it with your knee and it opens automatically.

• Mike121
    9 years ago

or me also Hafele is better option. But make sure you utilise the cabinets as much as you can.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

I feel really stupid. I didn't know the purpose of the servo motor option. Now I know. I want one. Sounds like a great idea. I'm always leaving the door open in order to be able to toss waste in when I'm working.

• pgersb
    9 years ago

Hafele. We've renovated two kitchens with their hardware and it's top-notch. Worth the extra cost.

• LittleJo1
    9 years ago

How about Blanco? They have loads of options but I think they sell just the trash bins and not the actual hardware. I have something installed in a legrabox drawer from Blum and added a servo motor too. I just love it!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

The height of available bins may be limited by the need to fit under sinks -- but you could replace them with any taller bin, or you could install an interior drawer in the headroom above the shorter bins as a place for treats, bags, whatever.

I put in RAS under the sink for my trash/recycling and the 2 bin unit does go all the way to the back of the cabinet -- less an inch or so. No problem with function after a year. I wonder if your problems with not closing properly is an installation issue.

My cabinet guy made a custom drawer, modeled on an Ikea drawer-attached-to-door, in which sits my containers for the animals' food. I recycled 2 lidded plastic cat litter containers which fit perfectly in the 15" cabinet space.

Sorry, that didn't answer your question about which brand is better, but was more about space wasting.

• julieboulangerie
    9 years ago

I ordered pullouts from Barker Doors. Width is to the 1/2 inch, depth to 3 inches. Mine are plywood boxes.

They do hold less than if I just shoved things in the cabinet, but it makes access to the back much easier.