Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenellecal

Tricky Layout Help Part Two with PICS

jenellecal
13 years ago

Ok I'm back with pictures and the whole house plan this time. Space is a bit of a challenge. Old one room schoolhouse that has been remodeled over the years. Not interested in taking it back to the "original" era but it should be better than it is now :). Due to finances we're leaving the space mostly as is with a few allowances for some wall removal. Tried to move the kitchen to the living room (great plan by the way) but it involves moving the ceiling back to the original height and that was going to be too costly.

Challenges of existing kitchen - It has only one entrance and it intersects the door outside. We all end up entering and leaving the space at the same time.

The nook does me no good since it's too small. My new design has an entry coming into the nook with a 12" wide run of tall cabs.

We "may" need to keep the wall that's between the nook and the kitchen but I can work with that through columns if necessary.

I love my sink under the window :)

Other challenge is trying to create a new entry to the master bedroom since the existing one lines up with the front door.

Pantry storage isn't an issue since I have a full basement for overflow stuff.

I'm planning on having white cabs with black stone countertops.

I cook ALL the time - usually a one person kitchen although DH would like to cook some (I don't like him often).

Also take a peek at the bathroom - any suggestions? Door and window can't be moved :(.

Thanks and please give me all of your ideas :)

Outside of house. The front entrance will be the only entrance. The side stairs are being removed and that door closed in. We're building an overhang over the front entrance.

Entering the kitchen - the only way in and out.

The wood stove and chimney are being removed (stove already is). Doors at the end are the pantry and broom closet.

View to dining and living area. Door to be removed and thinking about a corner dining area due to main entrance coming right into dining.

Existing kitchen

Whole house and proposed kitchen design

Comments (13)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Okay, I think I have an idea of what you want to do...and what you have to work with. There are some great possibilities :)

First, can you change any windows? The nook would be a great pantry, with maybe the window, lined up with the aisle in the kitchen. This would be a great space for a little prep sink, with upper cabinets on both sides of the window and floor to ceiling pantry or big buffet/dish storage on the other side. I also like the pantry, against the bedroom wall. I know you have the basement, but it's nice not to have to go up and down stairs, while trying to prepare a meal!

I like your idea of a corner dining room. Are you thinking corner banquette, with table and chairs, or just table and chairs? I think it will give you more room for your stools, too.

I like the cooktop where it is, but I'd be tempted to take out that upper microwave cabinet, and open that whole area up to the dining/living rooms. Also, might be nice to have a slightly higher counter, on the stool side, to block a little kitchen clutter and give a backsplash (even a small one) behind the stove. Even 6" would be nice.

I'd also move the fridge to where the chimney is now, and put an access to the kitchen (from dining area) right where the fridge is now. You'd still have the small cabinet next to it, which would be a good place for the microwave. It's kind of hard to see some of the details on your new plan, so this might be what you're planning already! LOL

I think the sink and dishwasher look fine, where they are and you have your big window. Are you still painting the walls yellow and making your island red? Well, it'll feel like an island, if you put in a doorway, between the current nook and the dining area. This will give you a little L-shaped pantry/dish storage, if you decide to try that. I love a little walk through pantry...they have so much charm :)

As for the bath, it looks pretty good. Only suggestion might be to put the toilet next to the sink, with the shower turned and put at the end (against the other bedroom wall). This might give you room for a little frosted window (or regular) over the toilet.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth. Looks like a very cute house with TONS of possibilities! :)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

If you're putting the dining area in the corner, can you move that closet area downstairs, like the one on the other side of the stairs? It would give you more room for your table.

Also, the door into the bedroom...anyway you could leave the kitchen more open and put the doorway in the center of the pantry wall? This would give you pantry/broom closet space on both sides and not put your bedroom entrance by the back door. Also, shorter walk to the bathroom :)

• jenellecal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love the suggestions :P I'm not sure I made myself clear and my plan is not LOL I've made some annotations on the plans (what I'd like) to help clear it up.

To answer your questions.

1) Windows aren't being moved. I've talked DH into moving walls and that's about as much as I can :)

2) Corner dining with benches and chairs and a free floating table.

3) The closet is going away but it's becoming mud room space at grade level.

4) I agree the cooktop is fine and yes that micro cabinet has got to go, in fact the whole wall is going - woo hoo.

5) To backsplash or not - we're still throwing this around. I'd "like" a raised bar for eating but not sure how that will look coming into the house. I can live with a flat surface island if I have to.

6) Can't put the master door between closets, that would mess up the "bed" wall lol.

Hopefully the annotations will help some.

Note - micro and toaster oven would go on counter next to fridge. Fridge will be "built in" with a wall the dining room side, uppers above it and a panel on the other side.

Also the bathroom was changed (again).

Thanks again for your ideas - I really appreciate them.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

This plan is much clearer! LOL

I think it all looks great! I can tell you've put a lot of thought into your changes. I didn't see the woodstove, before...I like that. I like the bathroom, too. No more window in the shower.

Those little corner windows in the former nook are so bright and cheerful. Any idea what you want to do with them? Do you grow herbs or other plants? It would be a nice place for that, if nothing else :)

• jenellecal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well technically the window still protrudes into the shower⦠:)

Thanks - this is our 2nd kitchen so I know what I'd like to see. The first was almost done when the house burned down. New state, new house, new kitchen plan.

I'm thinking of growing plants in that corner or perhaps a fun, comfy chair that I can read in :).

ANy opinions on the layout now that you can see it LOL

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

Can you get rid of the little stub wall down below the island? It might make the nook feel less closed in, and would let the corner windows be visible to more of the room. In fact, I'd remove the stub wall and the shallow cabinet there and have that whole corner be open, and then you'd have a bit more space to extend your island if you want to.

• jenellecal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chicagoans - Interesting. I just tried it and like the look.

What the plans don't show is the wall anchoring the "island" closest to that stub wall. We "may" have to keep it as a beam. Not sure if the little stub out would have to stay or not. I'll have to see how it work's structurally with DH.

I'd also have to find a place for a small pantry, that's what the shallow cabinet was going to be.

I might be able to put it on the long cabinet run with the sink - closest to the nook. I had only planned on lower cabinet there but a tall, shallow cabinet might work there as well. What do you guys think?

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I like the idea of a chair in the corner...and I like your 'topless' kitchen, at least around the sink! LOL

Could you move the fridge wall towards the kitchen, maybe 12" and put a pantry on the other side...across from the bedroom entrance and closet, or is that a bigger pantry? Anyway, a narrow pantry on the back side of the fridge wall would give you great storage and still let you use your former nook.

The little nook would be a great place for a comfy chair to enjoy the sunshine :)

• jenellecal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lavender - I can move that wall anywhere I choose :) I'm trying to create a small mud area back there so it could work. In the meantime here's the layout with the nook completely open and a 24" wide pantry in the area.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

If you have room, I would move the fridge wall a little further towards the kitchen, so your pantry cabinets (the fronts) line up with your basement stairs. This would give you more room in your back hall, too, which looks a little tight.

I like the boot storage...I would just add the pantry next to it, same depth. Then you could have the little storage area by the bedroom door, the same depth as the other storage and linen closet.

Even if you lost a few inches on the island...I think the storage would be worth it!

Love the corner for the chair, but I think I might take out the little cabinet. You won't need it, if you add the pantry in the back hall and the sink wall will look more streamlined without it. You'll also need space for an end table, to set your beverage down and maybe a small lamp or plant. At least, I would :)

• cluelessincolorado
    13 years ago

First of all, love your school house! I've always had a dream of living in one. You just can't beat all the windows! I don't know if you are big readers, but if you are, that nook screams super comfy chair and cozy spot! If you can't lose the stub wall, it would just serve to create a nook without closing you in. I would say to lose the cabinets there if you can, and instead, use the space where the old door was for a built in. It wouldn't have to take up a lot of space and it's just the back of the new mudroom closet, no? The idea of a long shallow pantry on the back side of the kitchen wall seems better to me than closing off the nook and the open sightline down the counters to the corner windows, but perhaps its just impinging on my afternoon nap in the comfy chair :) 10" depth can give you a lot of storage. I understand why you want to move the MB door, the sightline from my front door is a bathroom, actually the toilet. Don't even want to go to the Feng Shui rules about that! Which exterior door do you use the most, it seems that the new MB door might feel a little cramped.

• jenellecal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I really want to keep the island opposite the sink for prep purposes so I guess I can't technically move the fridge anywhere.

What do you think about making the cabinets next to the fridge a tall wall instead? That will keep the sink wall streamlined.

BTW - The door in the hall behind the fridge area leads to the outside, basement stairs are in the front of the house. DH made those storage closets bigger than I intended, I want them narrower so there is more walking space.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

So, the stairs go up from the exercise room, and it's storage under them, on the kitchen side? That makes more sense.

If your storage areas, against the bedroom wall aren't quite that deep, then that would give you more room, too. I really like your plan...it's going to be so bright, yet cozy! :)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio