Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizlizzie_gw

OT - Oriental rug emergency?

MizLizzie
9 years ago

Completely off-topic, so my apologies but there are many experts here, especially where decor is concerned. I have had the good fortune to purchase only one truly hand-tied Oriental rug lifetime, and it is very dark. Today I opened my second, an unusually size rug that I searched hard for in order to fit my foyer, and I'm just not sure about its cleanliness. It has a lot of Ivory, and it looks somewhat dirty to me. Below is a picture of one of the worst areas. I will post two more.

What do you knowledgeable people think? Is this just the nature of a truly handmade rug? Is ivory wool just always going to have dingy spots? Or has this rug lived its early life being slept on by wolves? It does not smell, BTW, as many wool rugs do. The rug business is sketchy, I know, and fair prices hard to discern but this rug was expensive to me. The 4' x 9' size is hard to find. Should I return it? Granted, in my house with four cats and constant traffic, it might look like this in six months anyway.

Comments (15)

• MizLizzie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another shot.

• MizLizzie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last one, not as bad. Heavens, I dread packing this one up for shipping. Last time I buy a rug from photos.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

how about a full shot of it?

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Does the ivory color have variations throughout the background? Some rugs are made that way. It's hard to tell from close ups. I second the posting of a full view photo.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I was thinking the same as Allison, that those might be intentional variations. Hard to say without a photo from a distance.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

Please turn the rug over and photo those areas from the back. Often easier to tell that way.

Then separate some of the yarn in the same area as photo 2 and photo.

Can you also please show an area of fringe and edging.

This post was edited by rococogurl on Wed, Dec 10, 14 at 16:08

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Some of the variation/spots/streaks are the simulated "abrash" (natural variation in color caused by different dye lots in the hand-dying process). But the lighter and darker zones does look like dirt. This is not a real persian, I hope you didn't pay an awful lot. IMO this is a decorator piece. A good 4x9 persian can be had on ebay for 600-900. A "bidjar" quality one may run up to 2000.
    Casey

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

Removed post b/c I was hijacking.

This post was edited by Hydragea on Wed, Dec 10, 14 at 20:34

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Definitely looks like staining from soiling.

• annaship1
    9 years ago

Check the individual yarns where the discoloration sits -- if the fibers have the same color all the way to the base of the rug, then it would seem that it was intentionally made this way. If the the discoloration sits just at the surface, then it is soiled.

• MizLizzie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, I did not pay a hideous amount for the rug and it is an Indian rug. I knew that when I ordered it. I ordered it for its color and size, so I think it is appropriate to call it a decorator piece. You can't have an investment on the floor in this house with four cats. ;-).

The darker areas do seem to go all the way to the roots, and when you turn it over, it looks perfectly clean on the back. I had pretty much decided, based on everyone's posts and on my assessment, that was an intentional variation. Then it dawned on me that my next-door neighbor and dear friend is Persian and quite a rug collector, so I asked him to come over and have a look at it. He agrees it is a sort of trendy, faux-antique look that he is seeing a lot of in rugs made in China and India.

He said it was not a bad rug, probably worth about what I paid for it on sale. But I can't get over the fact that it looks dirty. And you know what? That, at the end of the day, is what matters. It looks dirty to me, and I'm going to send it back. The probable $40 return shipping charge will have to be a lesson learned. Thank you all for looking it over and giving me your thoughts. It was very helpful.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Pic 2 particularly looks like a spill or animal stains (throw up or incontinence.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Ha! I see you know the cat drill.

• Mike121
    9 years ago

Please don't be suspicious about your masterpiece. It is really a work of art. Generally the issues which you suggested are linked with the handmade knots as they are done manually so there are chances of getting it dirty a bit. Make sure you rotate your rug every few months so that it don't get swamp.

• MizLizzie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hydrangea, I did not think you were hijacking at all! It was a good question. And my post is way, way OT, anyway.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida