Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mimmike

Please Please help with lighting of kitchen!

mimmike
11 years ago

Hi,
I have also posted this on the lighting forum, but thought the people in the kitchen forum may have some insight also. I have to make a decision on lighting in the kitchen. We already know where the cans will be, but not sure about pendants. We will have a breakfast bar and an island in the kitchen area. This is an open area with the family room and dining area. I will have a chandalier over the dining table, but not sure how to light the breafast bar/island. Would it be too much to have pendants over both as the picture shows. Any advise you can give me would be great. This is my first/last time doing a remodel like this and don't want to regret anything.

Thank you.

Comments (19)

• _007_
    11 years ago

Just by picturing how I think it would look, I don't think it's too much. I would vote go for it.

• andi_k
    11 years ago

I don't think it's too much to have pendants over both. But, I might do different pendants - something over island and then something different at breakfast bar, but make the 2 cooridate, etc. just my 2 cents!

• User
    11 years ago

I'll be the voice of dissent. One long fixture above the bar maybe, but not a forest of smaller pendants. It's too fussy looking.

• mimmike
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was thinking it may be too busy. What do you think about having one fixture over the island, or would it be better to do recessed lighting over island. The breakfast bar is about 8 feet long, so I think one pendant may look odd there. The island is a lot smaller at 4' x 4.5'. The pictures are below with one light or no hanging just recessed over island.

• mimmike
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the picture of no hanging light - just recessed.

• localeater
    11 years ago

As I was reading your initial post, I was thinking "it's a bit busy, love the pendants over the bar, there should just be one fixture over the island" Scroll down and "Voila"
    Love the last picture!

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

do it over the bar but not the island. keep money avail for good looking sink and faucet- as in kohler vault or stages or the silgranit products .....something a little special.Nice compact kitchen.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I think I would do pendants over the breakfast bar and recessed over the island. I think there should be an unobstructed view of the range hood area since it is set up with a fairly strong balanced arrangement but is not aligned on the same axis as the island.

• mimmike
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone. So, "localeater" do you like the one fixture of no fixture?

• localeater
    11 years ago

Well, of course, when you look at the flat picture it looks nicer with an unobstructed view of the range hood. But, that is because the range hood is in the center of the drawing and it calls out for an unobstructed view.
    Life isn't flat.
    What are your expectations of the island? It is clearly a prep space so you need great task lighting. Do you also think of it as a place for intimate conversation, wine with friends, etc.... For any of those expectations I would prefer a light on a dimmer to recessed.
    You don't need to rush though, do you? If it is a choice between on can or one fixture, just have the box put in and don't put anything there until it is all done. At that time it will be som much easier to figure out what is perfect.

• mimmike
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I was thinking it would be a place to do homework or get a quick snack, or a place for a couple of friends to sit and talk. It will actually only have 2 stools, so not a huge gathering place. It will also be a place to prepare food. That is true -- I could wait and see.

• localeater
    11 years ago

I would definitely wait. I have brought home at least 20 lights. I just hold them up over the island to see how they work. Some times I don't even like the light, I just bring it home to experiment with different shapes and sizes. My family is pretty sick of me- LOL. I am crossing my fingers that the one coming UPS tomorrow is it.

• mimmike
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know this remodel is driving me crazy. How many recessed cans do you think I would need over the island though? Do you think one recessed can will be enough for the island?

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I would probably put in 2-3 recessed cans. Two parallel to length of the island, which appears to be left to right, or three in an evenly spaced L pattern over the two working sides of the island.

• mimmike
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the overhead look at the space. I put cirles in where the recessed cans are. This is the shape of the island now. Is this how you would put the recessed cans over the island? Do you not think that would be too crowded?

Thanks again everyone for all your help.

• mimmike
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If anyone has any comments, I would appreciate any other help.

Thanks!!!

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Get all the cans over the perimeter of the kitchen in two straight rows making another L shape. You don't need two so close to each other in that upper left hand corner one will really suffice. I would split the difference and put one in that corner and two more in a horizontal row toward the fridge and two more in a vertical row down the sink run.
    Space them all evenly along a line, along a grid.

Right now the random placement may be very functional but it's a bad case of "ceiling acne".

• localeater
    11 years ago

Chances are when the electrician comes he too will have an opinion about where your cans should go and how many you need overall.
    I agree with Pal that the cans should be in a grid or rows or something geometric. I think three over your island does seem like overkill. I really like the idea of a a light, as opposed to a can over your island. It is just cozier. And there are so many lights to choose from. So talk to the electrician too and it will all be fine.

• mimmike
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I see what you mean Palimpsest. It does look like "acne". Thanks for the advise. Thanks Localeater - Unfortunately, our electrician is a friend and not too much advise from him. I will think about this for a while. Maybe I will do what you said earlier and wait until the cabinets are in. Hopefully the light you got delivered from UPS worked for you. This remodel is certainly harder than I expected

Thanks for the help.