Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

Backsplash options: opinions please?

deedles
11 years ago

Well, Ms. Bellajourney and I continue to tweak the kitchen design. We've come to the backsplash between the stove back and the hood. What to do? The backsplash proper is painted horizontal wood planks. Worried that painted wood behind the stove will eventually turn yellow and greezzzy. I have painted anaglypta behind my stove in my current kitchen and it's doing just that. So.

Three pics here. One showing a copper panel.. trying to bring in the sink, not sure that's working. One with a SS panel. Seems cold. And, the white wood paint.

We're finding that anything with strong color or design elements (such as the beautiful Bradbury tree paper that I love) does not play well with sink or stove.

Anyone have any ideas for this little area? I'm looking for easily cleanable but still blending nicely into the rest of the kitchen.

Comments (33)

• I
    11 years ago

i think the copper panel would be just gorgeous. especially with the retro stove.

• poohpup
    11 years ago

Out of the three of those, I like the copper best. It certainly would be easy to take care of. I agree about the stainless looking cold. It brings a modern vibe to your kitchen that is out of place.

Do you have an example of your tree paper behind the range? I'm having a hard time picturing it not working. I know you really wanted to incorporate that into the kitchen. I'd love to see it.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

I like the copper but wonder if you did the wood and added a stainless/whatever shelf that you could put some cool retro something(s) that would be just a little color pop. Vague enough for you?? :-)

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pooh: Here you go:

Remodelfla: Maybe so... it's a possibility. There is a shelf built in to the top of the stove back but it is a bit narrow.

• crl_
    11 years ago

I like the copper. If you are looking for more options to consider, tin ceiling tiles might fit with the overall look of your kitchen. I believe you can get them in a copper finish. You can definitely get them in a variety of white finishes.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Obviously, I like the copper!

I left this copper sheet outside for two months to let it oxidize. Obviously, that toned down the color (and in real life, it looks less red and more brown than this picture). However, another benefit is that it is remarkably resistant to streaking. I can smear my hand on the fridge door and not see a hint of a mark. That may be a useful property in a range backsplash!

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Angie: where did you get your copper from? (preposition, right?)

From whence did your coppah come, m'lady?

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Deedles - it is looking great!
    I love your corner idea!

I love the copper - but if you do a copper hood - maybe too much.
    Wood behind a stove makes me nervous - saw a kitchen the other day with fabric lampshades above the cooktop - that makes me nervous also.

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No copper hood. White painted wood like in the pic with an insert.

I can't figure out why anyone would put fabric lampshades over the stove top. Duh.

• amarantha
    11 years ago

What about tying it in with that nice design feature you have on the back of your peninsula? Or something like that maybe using a tile border/frame mimicking the framed art above?

Beautiful design. I have a vintage stove too and am considering what to do behind it.

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Amarantha: my design fairy is working on the very thing you've suggested here. Maybe in white with glass over it for cleaning purposes. We're also toying with some tile ideas.. so hey, you're right in the loop and you didn't even know it!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

deedles - me neither -duh and it was a mansion of a house!

• sixtyohno
    11 years ago

I love the tree paper. Can you put glass over it?

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

I like the copper but actually prefer the SS. It's looking lovely, looking forward to seeing the real thing! Best, oldbat2be

• rhome410
    11 years ago

I'm with Oldbat2be, because in the rendering, the stainless ties to the stove for me, and the copper seems just something to put there. But I'm not sure of the accuracy of the stove's representation.

If you really want the wood, can you just plan to refresh the paint every few years if it really turns color? And get very scrubbable paint?

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Paint #1 and stainless #2. Rhome is on the right track. That stove is the focal point. Gorgeous!

• eam44
    11 years ago

You could do white painted wood with clear glass over it, but that sounds a little messy. Other options include:

1.) use a piece of soapstone, or whatever your counter material will be.

2.) use white beadboard ceramic tile like the one below from Waterworks, to echo the beadboard you have backing your open cabinet.

3.) use a large format ceramic tile, like Claymonde ceramic sheets from Fireclay Tile in Arctic White, (5 3/4" x 35 1/4" or 11 11/16" x 35 1/4") or the 6" x 30" batten plank tile below in Dover White from Waterworks, cut/fit to size, and mount horizontally.

Here is a link that might be useful: Waterworks

This post was edited by EAM44 on Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 0:24

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

I would do soapstone (your counters right?). As it would be durable and make your stove pop.

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Looking into tile options, and everything else is on the table.

Here is the backsplash in the counter material (Staron solid surface)

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

hmmm not so sure now. I like the tile option shown and the black.

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, can't say I'm a fan of the black. It was worth trying, though.

We're looking at these tiles 6x18 in ivory which almost perfectly matches the BM white dove uppers.

I know this because I have a sample of each!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Maybe something here would echo your sink?

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper panels

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

I'm not certain about the size of your Bradbury paper, but could you possibly put it on the back of some of the glass cabinets?

Oh, and back to the actual question at hand, I'm really liking nearly all of the options (not much help am I?). But I think my favorites visually are the plank, the copper, and then the stainless. I actually think the stainless ties in nicely with the silver (chrome?) on the vintage range. I also like the idea of white tiles that have some sort of texture, but are the same color as the planks on the rest of the backsplash.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Your wall paper is also available in similair tiles. Your stove and that wall paper are both stars so I would hesitate to put them together as they each can stand on their own.

• amarantha
    11 years ago

Looking back at your options, the most pleasing looking to me is the painted wood. Something about a different backsplash only behind the stove, and actually only visible just above the stove back, seems like an abrupt pattern change. I think the simplicity of the wood all around is very pleasant especially with your wood hood. I think the different backsplash interrupts the eye.

Since I mentioned about the back of the peninsula, can you share a little about that feature, like the material and design. Is that a definite feature in your plan? If so, it would be nice to bring that in somewhere else - not sure I'm liking the option I posted above, it was just to spur an idea. If anything make it smaller and more like a frame for something, like that pretty green tile you posted.

I like the way the SS panel looks in the renderings in that it coordinates well with the refrigerator and DW but those are new appliances. I imagine your vintage range has shiny chrome? Are there colored knobs? If anything I would tie those in to backsplash.

A couple ideas in pics below - the painted wood all around with some copper pots (or could be utensils) hanging above your stove. Or a tile/art piece - it's difficult to tell in my pic but the green in there is actually your tiles . Again with the wood, I just think that really goes with the vintage feel in your kitchen. Paint it with durable washable paint, always a good idea in a kitchen anyway. And if wood is too scary for the cleaning aspect, what about those composite-type products, something that looks like wood - I don't have suggestions but think there are options.

Looking forward to more of your plans. I am contemplating what to do behind my stove too - am thinking either all tile and I also considered shiplap wood too.

{{!gwi}}

• amarantha
    11 years ago

maybe 3 is more pleasing

oops sorry for the errant tile

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Deedles, sorry I didn't see your question earlier. I bought the copper at Menard's, which is kind of a midwestern version of Lowe's. Comes in a roll 20" wide x 10' long. Here is the link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper roof flashing at Menard's

• Iowacommute
    11 years ago

Angie- did you cover the fridge with the copper yourself? Is there no end to your awesome DIYness?

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Iowa: Yes, I covered the fridge myself. As to my "awesome DIYness," sadly, yes, it certainly is meager and has limits!! I thank you sincerely for your kind words, though! :-)

Here was my guide:

Here is a link that might be useful: Circuspeanut's countertop thread

• Iowacommute
    11 years ago

Thanks for the link Angie. Like many others here you are far too modest about your craftiness. I tend to rush, and the measuring suffers. I am getting better though. I just finished sewing a belted wool cape for my sister and have made several quilts to eliminate my fabric stash. I am going to learn how to weld (a family tradition I suppose). I really want to make different lighting fixtures and furniture, and who doesn't like fire?

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Iowa: if you learn to weld, you will be my idol! I have always wanted to learn to do that! (Count me as a fire-lover!) Are you going to take a course at a local tech college or something like that, or does the "family tradition" imply that you have built-in instructors? Good luck!

Deedles, sorry for the thread-jack!

• Iowacommute
    11 years ago

Angie- my grandpa worked in the metal shop on a battleship in WW2 and started a metal shop when he came home. My dad took it over and ran it out of our basement when I was a kid so I ha e fond memories of watching them work with metal and of course lots of welding. My husbands dad and uncle also know how to weld (they're on the family farm in IA and that's where we're heading soon). My dad and uncle-in-law? have promised to teach me. One of my best friends uncles is also the head of the metal arts program at a community college in Kansas City (where my family lives). So I thought after I get started and need some refinement to make my lamps and furniture I'll go there.

I thought it would be cool if I could teach my little girl to cook, balance a checkbook, and weld. Okay and some other stuff, but I. want her to be well rounded.

Yes sorry Deedles for thethreadjack. If Im ever good enough to sell my stuff I promise to send you a lamp.

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No problem... don't worry about it. Chat away!