Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
examiner_gw

First post - finished kitchen

examiner
14 years ago

Be gentle...learned a lot here during the past 3 months. We bought a gutted foreclosure house (pretty standard midwest 2 story colonial tract home)and bumbled our way through a renovation. Since *everything* in the house needed to be done all at once, we limited ourselves to maintaining existing walls and plumbing layout, etc. As a result, we couldn't get too creative with the kitchen space. Here's what we ended up with. It turned out pretty "brown", but we'll just call it "warm". All-in-all, we are happy so I guess that's all that matters.

Comments (30)

• westchestermom
    14 years ago

It looks warm, rich and inviting!

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

It definitely looks warm and inviting--just what a kitchen should be imho. You should be very happy with it. Enjoy!!!

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

Very nice! Can you give us details-granite, floor, backsplash, appliances?? Your kitchen has a great warmth to it. Good job.

• susie1010
    14 years ago

It's my favorite coloration: honey /caramel. I think you did a beautiful job. Would love the details.

• semi
    14 years ago

Beautiful! Congratulate yourself on a job beautifully done!

Details, details, please!

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I also love the cabinet color and style, the beautiful counters, the pretty floor, and how warm your kitchen looks. You did a beautiful renovation job! Please... I would love the details of the material and appliances used.

• examiner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

As these things go, it was pretty much a budget project, with most of the materials coming from a big box store.

The floor is Marazzi porcelain tile from HD, I think it's the Montagna Belluno 16".

Cabinets are Kraftmaid...can't remember the door style (sorry!), but it's Honey Spice with Mocha highlights. Other than a couple week delay in delivery, our experience with KM was positive. Everything came as ordered and in good shape. The appliance garage is pretty cool, but does take up a fair amount of counter space in the corner. A few bells and whistles, but probably the cheapest upgrade that we really like are the soft close doors.

Appliances are primarily Frigidaire mid-line stuff, with the exception of splurging on a higher-end (for this project) Bosch dishwasher. Having just moved in, I'm not really in tune with the range/convection oven yet to see if I'll like it or not.

The granite was our one concession to "luxury". It seems the most common name is Stephany (or Stephanie) Fashion, but we haven't seen a lot of info on it. It has a fair amount of gold in it, but this particular slab had strong horizontal bars of dark brown and beige. Our stone store labeled it as "California Wood" which was pretty apt given the appearance. We ended up around $80/sq ft., which may be outrageous, but once you fall in love with something...

The backsplash is something off the shelf at a big box store that was purchased in a fit of "lets just get this dang thing done and get it over with". As a result, it's probably our least favorite thing in the kitchen, but we'll live with it.

We went from a gutted-out abandoned kitchen (at least no demo costs!) to this in about 3 months and spent about $25,000 on everything in the kitchen, which will probably be about 10% of the value of the home.

It was our first experience rehabbing, and if there was such a thing as a "general contractor" on the project, we were it. Despite the inexperience, things went relatively smooth. We've moved into it as our primary residence, so getting a lot of quick value appreciation wasn't necessarily our goal. But we think we did OK on that end too.

Thanks for the kind words!

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Thank you for the details that I will print out and see the floor and cabinets in person to see if it would look nice in my kitchen since monitor colors are not always accurate. But I do love the style of your kitchen cabinets so much and the color on my monitor. The granite is beautiful and I love the 16" size tiles in the kitchen.

You did a great job at a reasonable price which includes all new appliances.

• pupwhipped
    14 years ago

Just beautiful, and that is absolutely some killer granite. It is gorgeous!

Congrats and best to you,
    pup

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

examiner, I have a wall above my kitchen cabinets so I think those cabinets would not fit in my kitchen unless the top wall was removed. Did you remove your top wall or was there no top wall? You cabinets with my monitor's reddish color is what I have been wanting for my kitchen. In person, I will have to see the color but I am sure they come in several colors but what I see I love in the design and door knobs.

• examiner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

These cabs go within about 5-6 inches of the ceiling (standard 8' ceiling).....so if you have a 12" soffit, no, these wouldn't fit. But I'm sure KM offers a upper cabinet height that would fit under a soffit.

But really, removing a soffit is no big deal and a minimal expense in the big picture, especially if you don't have any electrical or plumbing stuff in them.

In our case, there was indeed a plumbing vent in a soffit that stuck out about 6" near where the wall and ceiling meet (upper right hand corner of the picture). We could've had it relocated into the wall for a reasonable sum of money, but instead opted to simply build the cabinets around it. So we lost about six inches of the very top shelf of that cabinet because it has a pipe protruding in it. In the big picture we decided no big deal. Those upper shelves are high enough that they are only used for long-term storage items anyway.

Our solution was obviously not the "correct" solution, and I'm not going to recommend anybody do that, because you are voiding the warranty on the cabinet when you cut into it, etc. etc. etc......but there are little workarounds you can do if you find yourself in that position and you are trying like heck to stay on a budget.

Anyway, IMO, removing soffits is pretty much a no brainer if that's the look you are going for and not a big job at all.

• annie.zz
    14 years ago

I think it's really pretty! I LOVE those pendant lights and that granite is gorgeous.

I see that you have a 9 inch pullout next to the fridge - that's what mine will look like. How do you like it? I've been debating about where to putt the pull on mine and I'm wondering how you like it with that placment?

Congratuations on your new kitchen?

• mindstorm
    14 years ago

Whooo-ahh!

What is that granite?!?!?!?!

Warm. Brown. Whatever you want to call it, it is stunning! "Crab nebula" is what first came to my mind even if the colors and tints are off.
    It is amazing!

• shelayne
    14 years ago

It is warm and inviting--exactly what a kitchen, as heart of the home, should be.

That granite is amazing! Congrats on a job well done!

• judydel
    14 years ago

Just stunning. The floors are gorgeous! And I love them with the granite, cabinets and backsplash! Really well put together. Very inviting.

• examiner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

annie.zz - the KD designed that 9" cab as a pullout, but since we have a pantry just a few steps away, we just went with a basic cabinet door. We use it for broom/mop storage. Not the most efficient use of the space, but works for us. I'm not real sure how convenient a pullout would be there.

mindstorm - the only references we can find online to the granite call it "Stephany Fashion". I'd like to know if anybody else has an alternative name, since there's not many references to it online. Here's another pic. We cut the slab so most of the gold ended up on the island top.

• examiner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

some posts disappeared, so I'll try to remember the questions...

someone asked about the dimensions...it's a little under 12x12. We struggled with the "island vs. no island" question, but took the advice of the KD. The island is 36x60 and we ended up with roughly 36" of walkway between the countertops. Still looking for the right stools.

lynn - you asked for a before pic....the soffits are gone in this picture, but you can clearly see where they used to be. Also note the plumbing vent we ended up working around rather than relocating....

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

examiner, thank you for the before picture even with the soffits gone, I can see it is a more expensive project for me to remove them so even though I prefer the look with them removed, I think I will have to keep them and find cabinets similar to yours that are shorter. I appreciate your help so much. I just love the way you did your kitchen since it is small like mine and turned out great.

• bethlcsw
    14 years ago

Great job! I think it looks inviting and the granite is indeed spectacular. Enjoy.

Our soffits were full on all of our upstairs plumbing and I was determined to have the cabinets go to the ceiling. The idea of fitting the cabinets around some of the pipes would have saved us alot of money but no one on our project thought of it(including me)! Good job.

Beth

• westsider40
    14 years ago

The individual elements are all well thought out and lovely, but what strikes me is the cohesiveness of the total space. Very Lovely. It Talks. It says this room is me, and I have earths and creams and browns and reds and wood and stone and metal and they all match and challenge each component to give a little more. You done good, girl.

That granite says 'look at how pretty I am and then the cabinet says, 'get ova here...Ahmmm gonna slap you down some. and together they make peace. (Should I puke at my own writing- er I do get a bit carried away. Love it.

• starpooh
    14 years ago

May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog? If so please submit the FKB Category Checklist to give your permission. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• tarhlfan
    14 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! congrats on all of your hard work.

• Christine Clemens
    14 years ago

Wow! You guys have amazing vision. Beautiful, beautiful job. I am glad you went for the granite. Congrats!

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

I like the whole thing! Exactly where I was headed. Tell me about that backsplash. I do like it a lot.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Your elements are striking a sweet dream of understated
    elegance with an exotic stone counter that really brings
    it all together. Truly remarkable.

• tamdave123
    14 years ago

That granite looks worth every penny.

• cmill1if
    14 years ago

Beautiful job!

• scootermom
    14 years ago

I was the one who asked about your dimensions - thanks for the info! I just love looking at your kitchen. It's like gazing into a pair of warm, golden-brown eyes.

And I just want to run my hands all over your island's granite!

• hmsweethm
    14 years ago

I actually really like your backsplash. I think the diagonal small tiles look really cool. Congrats on a job well done. It's pretty.

• marybeth1
    14 years ago

Very pretty inviting kitchen. You granite is Stunning!