Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First stain on white marble

Posted by kitchendetective (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 16, 08 at 13:18

One third of my kitchen island, the lower part, is a Thassos white marble. Every time I have tried to photograph it, the marble appears like a paper white solid. In reality, it has some pale, pale gray wisps in it. Nothing I have done to it for the past three years has left a stain--until now. I've had a Cuisinart food processor sitting on it since Thanksgiving. One of the black rubber feet left a 1/2 inch gray stain on the marble. Only I would notice it as it matches the gray wisps. I recognize it because the shape isn't a wisp and corresponds to the foot; also, it's in a spot that had no wisps before, right where I roll out dough. It looks like the marble somehow incorporated the stain, as though the stain is below the surface. I honestly don't care and am not about to do anything about it, but I thought some of the people who have been asking about whether marble stains would want to know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First stain on white marble

Have you tried using a poultice? There is someone here who recommends using plain old Comet; I've used Rust Out (I think that's the name) with incredible success. (it's not just for rust)

As a white marble lover I'd love to see a picture(s) of your countertop!

o

How does your marble do with coffee? We make a lot of espresso and when my husband does it he usually does not clean up after himself.

I think if we go with darker cabinets, we'd do something like marble (before we thought we'd get lighter cabinets and do soapstone, but it has been impossible to find a competent soapstone fabricater/supplier in my area).

Thanks!

o

The reason we did not go with all white marble countertops three years ago is because DH said he didn't want to be blamed for coffee stains. We're big into espresso and French roast and not always fabulously coordinated before we've had our coffee (which is why I proposed that we need intravenous caffeine infusions before waking up, but no one took me seriously). LOL. We do not eat at the island, but guests often sit around there and we do make coffee on the counters, which, except for the baking area, are Juparana Bordeaux something or other, lots of colors that blend with
Red wine
Marinara sauce
Cranberry juice
Coffee
Jellies
Chutneys
Strawberries,
etc. Heaven knows if I have any stains on that stuff.
So, I cannot answer about the coffee as the question pertains to daily exposure. However, I did find a leaky coffee filter someone left on the marble (Thanksgiving, had 12 here for 6 days, three+ meals a day, anything could happen ;>) ). It wiped completely clean. Now, I do have tons of etching and it is a polished, not honed, surface. As I've said before, I consider the etches my "mommy merit badges," and figure one day, the counters will be honed through use.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here