Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cooktop plus wall oven or range?

Posted by ellessebee (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 13:12

I am designing my new kitchen and will be using induction cooking. I am trying to decide which way to go: range or separate cooptop + wall oven. I only need one oven but will want a microwave and possibly a steam oven, as well. Since I'm looking at induction, there is a limited selection of ranges than cooktops, and less spread in cost between the options. I would love to get some input to help me decide. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cooktop plus wall oven or range?

I prefer a cooktop/wall oven combo. I like not bending over to use the oven or even just to look in. I like not standing in front of the warm oven when I'm cooking. You can have a 36" cooktop with a 30" wall oven, allowing the space under the cooktop to be used for drawers.

The benefit people mention about a range is that the hood over the stove works for the oven, too.

o

Cost is a significant factor. Separate items will probably end up costing 3Xs the cost of a range.

o

Now that i've switched to an induction cooktop with a separate wall oven with speed oven/micro above it I would not go back to a range.

o

A couple of factors others haven't mentioned yet:

Consider the square footage of your kitchen. I had a small kitchen and converted from cooktop/wall-oven to range. Yes, the wall oven preheated faster and was easier to pop things in and out of because you don't have to bend over as much, but I have a pretty small kitchen. The counter space I gained by getting rid of the wall oven is priceless and is used every day, whether I am baking or not.

My range oven is also larger than my old wall oven, which allows me to bake batches of Christmas cookies more quickly. So, consider the size of oven you need as well. I love being able to use a caterer's "half sheet" pan in my range oven.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here