Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjhockeyfan325

Sink tip-out doesn't fit - what to do?

sjhockeyfan325
10 years ago

I bought a Rev-a-shelf sink tip-out and it doesn't work with my sink. Basically, it's too tall, so the tip-out bottom hits the sink when closing the "drawer". The counters aren't in yet - is the only option to move the sink farther back toward the wall?

Comments (14)

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

IF you can move the sink back and still have enough room for your faucet holes (That would be uncommon.) then that is the best solution if you have the slim fit trays. I find that the regular sized tip outs rarely fit with the new larger sinks. There's usually not enough room for them, the faucet, and the backsplash too.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks live wire. I didn't know there was a "slim fit" version - I'll check them out.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

Adjust the sink position.
    And a conforming plant-on.
    Have one locally fabricated.
    Shim the hinges out.

This post was edited by snoonyb on Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 14:30

• User
    10 years ago

Ditch it entirely. The novelty wears off fast.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I'm surprised there is any issue, I ran out to home depot the day before my counters were installed to buy the rev-a-shelf kit (hinges and basket). The baskets are about 2" deep and 3 1/2" tall. I just had to remember to ask the cabinet guy to remove the baskets before installing the handles so that they would still be removable.
    I find mine useful, but dh considers them essential at the clean-up sink.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've had a tip out before and liked it, but I'll survive if it doesn't work. ( KKS, the basket hits the sink. )

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I'm confused - how do you have a sink without counters? Assuming your sink is undermount, will the section of counter in front of the sink really be so narrow? Mine is 3.5", only about .5" of which overhangs the cabinet door fronts.
    I thought that everything that could go wrong or be mis-measured in my kitchen was, but this wasn't. But now I understand why my GC didn't include tilt outs from the beginning when I thought they were standard and easy. I guess sometimes they aren't.

• User
    10 years ago

Even the slim version was too big for my sinks and a too far back sink gives me a backache. I ditched my tip outs and don't miss them.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

I bought a tip-out unit but I did not put it in, it seemed that it wouldn't work with my cabinet design not having planned for it in advance. I bought a little basket from Target that I am going to attach inside the door for my sponge and liquid hand soap.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Have always had them and not sure why. Wet stuff in them never seems the right place to be. I do use mine for razor blades and the stove scraper. Many times after help in the kitchen these acquire things not wanted and end up needing cleaning, plus the blades get wet.

I should find someplace else for the current items and make the tip outs go away. Are the tip outs useful for anything else or another area?

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good idea - if I can't use the tip out for the sink, I'll use it in the pantry for something!

OT - when I mentioned to my DH getting a razor blade scraper for the induction cooktop, I thought he'd have a heart attack! But that is the "trusted" method for getting stuck-on stuff off a ceramic glass cooktop, isn't it?

• michoumonster
    10 years ago

i got tip-outs but did not use in the kitchen. my sink made it too tight. it works well in my bathroom though. i put one dental floss and a toothpaste inside. i didn't think it would be sanitary for keeping a wet toothbrush, so i keep the toothbrush in a toothbrush holder on the counter.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

I put two in my bathroom. Toothbrushes and paste.

I found slim ones, because my sinks are undermount.

I can tell you it's SO MUCH BETTER to put them in before the countertops. You should have seen me upside down with my arms twisted in and under the drawers, trying to use the drill to put that stupid, snappy hinge on. 30 minutes my round butt! If you DO NOT follow their directions, maybe....

Sorry. Guess I feel pretty strongly about that.