Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caseykees

How is this for a kitchen. LOL

caseykees
9 years ago

Dick Clark's "Flintstone" house just sold. Check out the kitchen!

Here is a link that might be useful: Flinstone Kitchen

Comments (22)

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think I could live in this house, and I think the "wavy-ness" of the cabinets would drive me batty in the long run.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Location and views are awesome, but I don't think I could really live there.

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    9 years ago

That's definitely a tear down.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

That's absolutely fabulous! The home is designed to be organically integrated with it's surroundings. It's got a parti that's unmistakable. Great feat of architecture.

• Carrie B
    9 years ago

I love it.

• zwizzle
    9 years ago

Was this Dick Clark's "man cave"?

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes zwizzle. it just sold for 1.7 million.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

If the kitchen is functional and those drawers/cupboards yield good, functional storage, I'd be cool with it. Heck, I'd be too busy enjoying the views and the beautiful outdoors to spend much time in the house anyway. While I think I would have to soften up the inside with just some redecorating, not remodeling, I think the outside is fabulous how it seamlessly fits into the landscape. Yup, I think I love it.

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

I really enjoy cob style houses, so this one is interesting to me. I think I'd feel like I was inside a dinosaur bone in this house, LOL.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Definitely too Flintstone for my taste, but it is certainly not a cookie cutter kitchen, according to current trends. Hopefully the new owner will appreciate that.

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

Of all the cool things you could spend 1.7 million on...
    I agree - tear down.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

As a vacation home, ABSOLUTELY!!!

Honestly, I don't get the hate.

You look at, or buy a home that is meant to look like it was chiseled out of a giant boulder and you want to tear it out to put in what? White cabs w/marble counters and SS appliances?

I think it is wonderful, and if it didn't cost almost 2 million, I would gladly purchase it and not change a thing!!

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

In this article: Why Dick Clark Built a Spot On Flintstones House in Malibu
    ...the architect says that it was built this way because the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy was against Clark building on the site. When presented with the idea of a house that looked like a rock formation, the park conservancy agreed.

I think it's well done, and I'd be happy to have the 360 degree views.

The article goes on to say that the new owner is unlikely to be allowed to build something new there. I think it was uniquely designed for this location and I hope they don't change it.

• GauchoGordo1993
    9 years ago

Not really my taste, but I agree it's fabulous. Sure hope it doesn't get torn down. I wouldn't hang the Mona Lisa in my house, but I wouldn't buy it and destroy it either. The world is a better place with thus house in it.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

And no one on the Home Dec forum thought that fur place mats would ever be appropriate ...

Here is a link that might be useful: The perfect accessory.

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Lol mama_goose.

As mentioned in another article I found, I would absolutely have to put a pile of these in a corner of the bedroom (which I actually like a lot.)

(Living Stones Wool Furniture by Stephanie Marin)

• azmom
    9 years ago

Tear down? Why? Such a fantastic, well designed, extraordinary home.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

I could live in it and appreciate the reasoning for design. Am a fan of home built straw houses, this is not the same, but love the textures and forms. Not sure how the upkeep would be though.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

I would like a house that looked like a rock formation on the exterior. But inside, I would prefer more of a nod to rock, rather than the caricature version used here. I doubt the Conservancy would object to what was chosen for the interior design. Those fun Living Stones would fit in, for sure.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

I'm with Gyr Falcon... The exterior is great and in keeping with the surroundings, but inside, I think some high tech Euro cabs such as Allmilmo or Poggenpohl would be a super neat contrast...sort of Flinstones meets Jetsons ;)

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I look at the cabinets and keep wondering what they're made of?

The place seems ok as a vacation spot, but I'm not sure about the neighbors. The shorter blonde guy doesn't seem all that bright.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

LOL Schicksal!

I love the exuberance of the architecture. They took an idea, and allowed it to fully develop. I even like some of the interior. Most. Just not the kitchen. They layout for one. And yeah, some fabulously sleek Euro glossy cabinets would really highlight the rusticity of the rest of the design. I'd do a taupe rock-ish color, and then maybe some spots of orange or red. The contrast in textures with the spots of color could really work!