Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tastyhummus

Making induction cooktop look like a real stove?

tastyhummus
9 years ago

We built a house 3 years ago but now need to move. Have just convinced DH to build again. I have a blue star range top and Electrolux ovens which have been trouble free, but considering an induction cooktop for the new place. Its early in my research, but I like the look of tge Thermador silver finish one.

But, I really love the look of a big range as a focal point in the kitchen. All the pictures I find of induction it looks sleek and modern and minimal - any way to get it to look a little more traditional? A little more like a range?

I searched and couldn't find this topic mentioned before. TIA!

Comments (19)

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

They make induction ranges.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Here is a gardenweb favorite. Not exactly what you're after, but should inspire you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cotehele's induction (and more)

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

I think Ilve's induction range is extremely attractive. Dacor's too, but that's pretty modern looking. I will be getting the Jenn Air induction range in our new kitchen. It was much more affordable for me.

• amck2
    9 years ago

I love my new induction range. I do miss the beefy look of my old dual fuel Dacor, but not enough to give up induction cooking - and the ease of clean up!

It's a highly subjective choice and there's no "right" answer, IMO. It depends on what type of cooking you enjoy, too. I do a lot of homemade stocks, stews, soups and chowders so I love the precise simmer control I get with induction. Also cook 5-grain cereal for our breakfast every weekday and appreciate the almost instantaneous boil.

Those who do high sear and wok cooking seem to prefer gas.

I chose an OTR cabinet and simple hood vent over my range. The scale seemed right.

• rantontoo
    9 years ago

Samsung added a slide-in range with knobs ... Looks somewhat like a gas range???

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

It even has faux flames!

• tastyhummus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! Right, I know they make induction ranges but I hadn't seen some of them like the ilve. Very nice looking!

Afaik, no one makes a 36" one though? I guess I'm spoiled by having the larger number of burners and surface area and double ovens that I don't want to go back to a 30" range.

I guess what I was wondering is if adding cabinetry detail like a bump out of a big hood or legs etc would make the cooktop stand out more. And if there were examples of it?

• nels1678
    9 years ago

Forgot to mention that it might make more sense to have the island be:

27"-27"-36"-27"-27" depending on what makes sense for the microwave drawer. Might reconfigure as well if trash gets moved here.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Have you seen the Viking induction range? It looks fairly substantial, IMO.

• ChristyMcK
    9 years ago

I've heard rumors that Lacanche will be coming out with an induction range in the US in the near future (a read it on GW thread). You might inquire. They are gorgeous ranges.

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

Tastyhummus, I did a bit of trim, etc., in order to incorporate my Bosch induction into a very trad kitchen. Not sure it is enough to give you the look you want. It is bumped out with large spice pulls to either side, though it's hard to see. I think it would look great with a 36".

• aloha2009
    9 years ago

Perhaps changing the cabinets color like the following

{{gwi:2141750}}

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Ellicott City Kitchen & Bath Remodelers Revisions Remodeling Showroom

• tastyhummus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pretty kithcen MizLizzie!

They have so many better options for induction ranges in the UK. Big cute Rangemasters, etc. So jealous.

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

This is a Viking range. I feel the same way about preferring the look of a gas range over induction, and I think this has that beefy look.

{{gwi:2141751}}

[Farmhouse Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/farmhouse-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2114) by Sharon Architects & Building Designers Rafe Churchill: Traditional Houses

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

The Lacanche with induction option will be wider than 36". I think the smallest will be 43.5", but I do not have access to the computer with that info. Right now.

• ked1985
    9 years ago

I am not on the up and up when it comes to some of these fancy brands, but we have a Maytag induction range that we got last year and my husband and I both love it. It's your normal size range though and honestly unless you look close you'd think it was an electric glass top. But I like it! I won't ever go back to electric, and unfortunately our home doesn't have gas.

• beachpea3
    9 years ago

i splurged on the Viking Induction range for several reasons: I came in colors, had knobs and as others have said was "beefy looking" I could not have gas due to some height restrictions (my house was built c. 1680). I have had the range for a year and am very happy with it.

• steph2000
    9 years ago

Argh, that Viking induction is sweet.... Too bad it is likely way over my budget - and I'm not hearing great things overall about Viking lately. What a great look, though.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Wow, I love that yellow kitchen! The induction stove really blends in well.