Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teeboo_gw

Lady from October but beginning new thread

teeboo
10 years ago

Starting a new thread so I can clean up all the unrelated messages now that I have finally made some decisions. I would like to say up front: THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for all your fabulous responses. Since I was so erratic some were tossed but as stated I have made some decisions and just have a few more.

First I will attach picture of layout of kitchen but keep in mind they show 2 windows to left of island but I only have 1. Also the front of cottage is almost all glass so you can drink in the view of the water, hence the removal of the wall between the old kitchen and the living room.

Cannot download but 1 picture at the time, so I will send others with follow up post. Thanks, Jenn

Comments (23)

• teeboo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Have removed to shorten. Again thanks, Jenn

This post was edited by teeboo on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 12:00

• teeboo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Have removed to shorten Thanks, Jenn

This post was edited by teeboo on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 12:01

• teeboo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jen

This post was edited by teeboo on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 12:03

• teeboo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are the colors in my couch which will be in the living room. Will add pictures of fabric selected to recover stools, ottoman and pillows. Going to use brushed nickel knobs and faucet. Thanks Jenn

This post was edited by teeboo on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 12:06

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

I'm not familiar with those lights in particular, but wouldn't it be nicer if the pendants illuminated the ceiling a bit? I guess you'll get some reflection off the island countertop, but more would be better I think. I guess I'm not a fan of the current metal pendant shade trend...

• teeboo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I am going to have a lot of LED cam lights installed in the ceiling as well as under cabinet lights also. I would agree with you if I were not having the other lights. I am visually impaired, actually legally blind so lighting is extremely important to me. Thank you for your timely response. Jenn

• teeboo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is my piece of millennium cream or colonial cream granite that will be installed in the small creek cottage. It is on a piece of white quartz to show how the white appliances and cabinets will look next to it. Would you suggest antique brass or satin nickel fixtures?

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

We have recessed LEDs too, and I like them a lot because they do a great job illuminating the work surfaces, walls, and floor, but they do not illuminate the ceiling. In fact poor ceiling illumination is one of the biggest downsides of recessed lights.

Of course ceiling illumination is an aesthetic issue though, and it wouldn't help with your vision issues.

• teeboo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

True and I want to leave the ceiling popcorned because of its age. Therefore, I do not want to bring attention to the ceiling. Thanks, Jenn

Actually due to damage to ceiling when old light fixtures, fan and wLl taken down, we are going to use bead board on the ceiling which I think will add to the cottage charm. Thanks, Jenn

This post was edited by teeboo on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 12:09

• teeboo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Faucet

Have decided to go with Premiere faucet instead of Belle Forte. Both are all metal but Belle Forte only has a 5 yr warranty and the premiere has a lifetime warranty. Thanks, Jenn

This post was edited by teeboo on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 12:12

• teeboo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Knobs and faucet: brushed nickel Thanks Jenn

This post was edited by teeboo on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 12:14

• teeboo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The walls are down between kitchen and living room. Just stand and marvel at the view. Actually pleasantly surprised at the amount of insulation and the studs were in great shape. Electrician did not have to replace any wiring. For the age of the cottage, this was a pleasant surprise.

Had planned on purchasing Kitchen Aide appliances: microwave vent combination, counter depth refrigerator, dishwasher and slide in stove or range. I live in NC and cottage is in Wilmington.

Manager at Sears had told me KA dishwasher and microwave vent combo are the quietest. Began doing review work last night, I know a little late, and what I read scarred me regarding noise.

SO, I come to you for help...
    If you have a microwave vent combo and dishwasher purchased in 2013 or 2014 and it is quiet enough for someone to watch tv or talk in living room, please let me know about your selection or if you purchased and regret your selection please give me that information please. If you know of a link I can go to get the information, that would be helpful also. I have searched but I come up with stores.

Also the reviews on counter depth or any refrigerator seems to be less than admirable. I do know from reviews that I do not want an ice maker on the door even though mine at home has never given a problem and it is 15 yrs old. If you are happy with your $2000 or less refrigerator ( counter depth) please let me know.

Same is true for slide in stoves or ranges. Should I even consider convection for a rental? Should I consider a warming drawer? Should I consider dbl ovens? Or should I get a slide in without all the bells and whistles?

Which slide ins are you happy with that actually will self clean without burning up all the elements?

• teeboo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you in advance for your advice on the microwave vent combination. Jenn

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

As far as noise, I put in a Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher and a fairly basic Kenmore frig; both, having replaced items that were 10-15 years old, are astonishingly quiet to me! I really have to listen to tell that the DW is running.

• teeboo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your advice. Have a great day.

• teeboo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Any advice on microwave vent combination - noise

• teeboo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Will post a picture tomorrow to show you progress. Walls are down and cabinets in place. Actually had bead board put on the ceiling which I had painted BM Ice Blue cut 50% and then another 25%. Achieved exactly what I wanted a soft serene blue green color. Look up and you think water. Painted the walls SW Oyster Bay. Granite (mellinium cream) will be measured tomorrow and installed next week. Ordered IPT (Superior 60/40) zero radius sink and Premiere bridge faucet. Have purchased white counter depth refrigerator and dishwasher.

Delimnae should I get a ss stove and over range microwave? Really want JennAire which would be ss. Although I have the white range and would only have to purchase the O the R microwave. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Also looking at picture, would you still add cabinet to the left of the laundry room door as depicted in initial picture? Thanks in advance for all your advice.

• teeboo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is photo showing cabinets and vacant wall on left side of laundry room. Should I have cabinet built? If so, go to ceiling or lower. Thanks

• teeboo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shows right side of cabinets.

• teeboo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Has anyone installed IPT superior sinks and faucets? If so, please respond with comments. Thanks

• iroll_gw
    10 years ago

Just a thought, I think a tall pantry cabinet to the left of the laundry room door would help balance the taller cabinets across the room, and of course, provide great storage. You could even put a microwave on a shelf in there.

• teeboo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually I saw a barrister bookcase in a magazine where they had placed letters on back of glass and sprayed with glass frosting spray. Looked amazing. When I saw this, I said that is what I have been envisioning. Now I am trying to find this type of bookcase which are about 5" tall and add a mirror or picture over it to balance the cabinets.

Will add a picture.

• teeboo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Would you recommend a ss stove and microwave with a white CD refr and dw (island) or all white appliances?

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville