Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sksgrad

Under cabinet light option - feedback requested

sksgrad
10 years ago

We are still struggling to find the right UCL option for us. We were looking for dimmable,plug-in, LED lights without a transformer. We are also limited in that we have one cabinet that only has a 10.5" space underneath. We thought we'd settled on light bars from Lowes that had a hi-lo option (not dimmable, but at least some ability to control the light) but they are not as low profile as I'd hoped and are really visible to me (my husband is not bothered by it, but he is also a foot taller than I am and doesn't have the same angle). So, long question short, I found a light strip option from The Lighting Solutions but can't find any reviews and the website says that they are not returnable (see link below). Has anyone out there had experience with this company or these light strips?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Lighting Solutions

Comments (8)

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

sks-I am not familiar with them. Are you sure you can't house a transformer? We are planning on housing ours in a 12" cabinet. I have included a link to the one that I believe (dh has it with him so I can't compare the part number exactly but if you need me to I will ask him for it) is identical to what we just bought and have used before with no problems - dimmable also. The switch we purchased is a paddle with a thin lever that runs along side of the paddle that you move up and down to control the brightness. They are now stock from the place we bought them from the first time whereas originally they were special order so I think they are pretty mainstream ?

Scroll down on the link and you'll see the dimensions on the transformer are (you need the low voltage or else the led's will flicker):
    3 1/2" L x 1 1/2" W x 1 1/4" H.

I hope someone else can help with what you are looking at. I really think the WAC is a viable option for you though. It was about $250 for the transformer, switch and LED tape for our new kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: WAC lighting transformer

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

A driver/transformer is just a fact of life with LED. They don't run on line voltage. The fixture will have one integrated into it, or it will be a separate piece. Withe the separate piece, if it fails, you can replace it and not worry about the lighting. With it integrated, not only is it less versatile, but it's also more problematic over time, and when it does have an issue, you have to replace the entire fixture, not just the driver.

Get the kind with the drivers. And go for good quality, like Hafele.

• katy-lou
    10 years ago

Have you looked at the Philips color kinetics epowercore? I think they fit all of your requirements. They are very low profile, line voltage (integrated driver), dimmable, nicely built and come in short length as well as longer. Not inexpensive, but so far we have been happy with ours.

• bermudafire
    10 years ago

I saw these in an email I received this morning.

Here is a link that might be useful: Environmental Lights Dimmable Plug-In LED Strip

• plumberry
    10 years ago

I like the Kichler brand 2700 led strips. we're going to use these and put toward the back of the cabinet. we have recessed lights above the counters in front of the cabinets so we don't need a whole lot of light. the 2700 is a nice soft warm light.

• plumberry
    10 years ago

here's a link to the led strips (tape)

Here is a link that might be useful: kichler tape light

• sksgrad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all! Unfortunately, I'm in an all day meeting today so I can't follow up on all of these leads right now (crazy that they are making me do work at work!)...but I really appreciate all the feedback and do promise to check everything out when I get the chance! If there are any more suggestions, keep 'em coming (please).

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

(crazy that they are making me do work at work!)

ROTF