Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cliq Studios Cabinets-Quality issue

Posted by lambsear1 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 12:57

Hello,

Anyone have issues with the quality of the finish on Cliq studio cabinets in white?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cliq Studios Cabinets-Quality issue

I would also like to know more about Cliq Studio Cabinets as I love the sample of the Dayton White cabinets that I have here in a small piece.

o

Ask them where they are made. And how long it takes to get replacement pieces on that literal slow boat from China if something comes in wrong or damaged.

o

Their website says they are made in the "Midwest heartland." Is that not the case??

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: cliq studios 'about us'

o

I will be more specific. I have the Dayton door in white and today when I tried to clean something off the door, with a little rubbing ,the finish started to come off. The stain still remains. Also I noticed oil stains from touching the cabinets that don't come off. I don't have small children and am a neat cook. Anyone else out there that has these issues.

o

Labsear1, thank you for letting us know. I am looking forward to reviews from others that have the cabinets. I wonder if the doors need a sealer if this is the case. I do love the look and the pricing but this is definitely something to consider that the doors may need an added cost of a sealer if the paint comes off.

o

I was also considering them so would be interested in comments. Someone a month ago or so was singing their praises. I usually take that with a grain of salt when someone is that 'enthusiastic.'

I'm also considering Ikea, possibly with custom doors (Scherrs, Barkers, etc).

Bonnie

o

I have these cabinets in Dayton White. Have had them almost two months. My husband used one of those Mr. Eraser sponges on one of the doors a few days ago and no paint came off at all (and believe me, I was cringing while he was doing it since the doors are clearly PAINTED white - and he was rubbing pretty hard).

I'm very pleased.

o

I just tried the Mr. Eraser and that didn't help. I'm now know that I wouldn't purchase cabinets again from an internet company. It's a tricky process for such a big investment.

o

This is scary. They were on my short list, but now I'm not sure. I did order a stained and painted sample that should be coming any day now so I'll test those.

Maybe Bons is on to something-boxes from Ikea and then doors from a reputable and (tested like crazy on GW).

o

Thank you everyone so far for letting us know about your results. It looks like to get stains out, a magic eraser has to be used only. I may use the sample I have here to stain it and see how easily I can remove the stain. I wish I had more than one sample of the white door. It is a little whiter than I wanted but very close to BM Cloud White in color so it is not a stark white and looks definitely off-white next to white copy paper.

Hoping others with this cabinet can give their input.

o

NEVER use a magic eraser on cabinets! It's actually a very fine abrasive, and you can rub paint or the clearcoat off of your cabinets. You might as well be using sandpaper!

o

Clique Cabinets does give cleaning and maintenance instructions on their website (pretty much soft cloth and water or a little soap if needed). For long term maintenance they suggest a revitalizing oil (I'm guessing they sell that or at least have suggestions).

I was going to test my samples (the painted linen and strait grain oak) when my toddler found them with her sticky candy cane fingers. Pretty good test huh? I cleaned them off with a soft cloth with just water. I rubbed hard since they were just test pieces, and I didn't see any paint come off. I used a white and dark cloth to help notice any rub off but still didn't notice any.

o

IowaCommute, thank you so much for your input as I think I will test my samples also. I want sturdy cabinets but price is a consideration and so is style and I love the style. Maybe blueberry stains will stain any cabinet no matter if it was stained or painted and they would be difficult to clean? I want another sample to test so I may buy one as they sent me two already and I prefer the white over the Linen as the white looks better with the tiles I already purchased.

o

You're welcome Lynn2006. I also did a test with olive oil and bbq sauce. I let them sit for a half an hour, and then washed them off using soap. I scrubbed until I couldn't smell the sauce on the door anymore, and I didn't notice any paint or damage to the cabinet.

I have banged the samples into each other, and dented them. They dent like normal cabinets (at least like the cabinets I have now anyway). I love blueberries and blackberries so maybe I'll make something in the morning. Maybe some gooey fingerprints will find their way onto the samples. This makes me miss chemistry.

o

Thank you IowaCommute! I can't wait to hear about your blueberry testing! I will do tests also when I get another sample.

o
Stains on White Furniture- RE: Cliq Studios Cabinets-Quality issu

By the way, I have solid maple Durham Furniture (made in Canada) in my bedroom that I bought in 2007 that has held up great but since it has a rubbed out sand white finish (off-white), I found it does stain and I have not been able to remove yellow highlighter and an ink spot from cleaning out my purse on top of the bureau before an seminar at 5:30 AM so I was not thinking logically being so tired. I now am so careful not to put anything on the top of the furniture without a dolly or something underneath. But in all the furniture looks new and other stains have come right out.

o

I didn't do alot of shopping around when it comes to cabinets, but I do have two samples of the Cliq Studio doors. I can tell that the paint isn't as slick as my Durasupreme, so its easier to get dirt stuck on the surface.

o

That is a good point Lilymila. My next step was actually going to be to order samples from other RTA companies for comparison.

I let some blueberries and blackberries thaw on my Cliq painted linen sample. I wipe them off with a damp cloth (no soap) and did not see any stain.

That being said I'm pretty happy with the quality of their samples. I think I have a pretty builder basic kitchen know (the outsides look nice even though they're not my style-golden oak cathedral cabs), but the cabinet itself is all mdf. It's the mdf that really gets me. I can deal with the center of the door being that because of expansion concerns and such, but not the outside sides.

I have been thinking more about Barkers (I do like the idea of the quarter sewn oak cabinets in a clear finish). I know when it comes to building the house I'm going to try to do some things myself, and I have stained cabinets before. Although I have the feeling I will not have the time to do it once we start actually building because I will be the GC. So I think those may be the next ones I give a try, and there are many people on these boards that love their Barker cabs with amazing kitchens.

I am pretty impressed in my Cliq cab samples, and when I come up with a new test I'll be sure to post it here. I know someone did their kitchen with all painted Cliq-I think in September so it may be worth seeing if they're still on here.

o

MDF box is pretty standard nowadays even if you choose a much more expensive brand. The particle board box almost always require an upgrade charge. I have all mdf box except for the sink cabinet, which is particle board box. I think a good mdf is plenty strong for cabinet box, the main difference is aesthetic, with mdf, you will get veneered interior instead of the more natural looking particle board interior.

o

I have 4 samples of the cabinets here (as my friend decided to go with Ikea and gave me his two samples). Two are stained (his samples) and the two I ordered are the painted ones: Linen and White. The Linen looks like it is a sturdier color but I like the white better. The cherry stained cabinet is too dark since I like Cherry but a little lighter. The Caramel stained sample does not go with my Brazilian Cherry Floors. I will try to do some testing tomorrow and post my results.

I just wish I had an installer in mind and someone to measure my cabinets again since my paid measurements from Home Depot were not allowed to be given to me unless I bought their cabinets.

P.S. The White sample does have a little chip in it but it is a sample so I was not worried.

o

its just cheapo Chinese 4 square cabinets pretending to be USA made; how can they be honest when they start lying from the beginning. look up 6 square cabinets and you'll see. all bs.

how are they cheaper: lower quality products, shipped in boxes, and no long term warranty support.

o

Any updates on this post for actual owners of Cliq Studios Cabinets? I really like the sample but now I am not sure....

o

I was seriously considering Cliq. Until the linen sample came with paint runs. I did call and they said that if a cabinet front went out with drips they would replace it. . . Didn't end up ordering from them.

jen

o

Jen, what did you end up ordering?

o

I am a contractor installing cabinets that a customer bought from cliq studios. They purchased the linen colored cabinets and the construction is terrible, no quality in these cabinets at all. There are no mounting boards on the cabinets to screw through, big problem, the screws will eventually pull through the plywood causing cabinets to fall. Many of the parts didn't show up on the order causing a long delay in installation. The customer ordered the missing parts three days ago, still no parts. One of the cabinets was for a peninsula in the kitchen, the one we received was a standard wall cabinet. The company said to close up the toe kick on the other peninsula cabinet and use them that way, Really, that would leave unfinished cabinet in plain view. Not sure what we are going to do with it yet, but the extra installation cost will far exceed the savings on these inferior cabinets. Do not waste your money or time on these cabinets, I wouldn't put them in my garage!!!

o

Roger613, thank you so much for letting all of us know how terrible these cabinets are to install. I bought samples of other cabinets that are made much better than the samples I got from Clique. I love the pictures but I am going to pass. Your post reinforces this. We all appreciate you for sharing.

o

Lynn~
So sorry! Just noticed this. We are building new and found cabinets in ReStore that we adjusted the plans for. Cliq studios quote was between 12-15,000 depending on pantry spaces and different options. We spent 800 on solid wood cabinets. We have to finish out the backside of the island and build one shelf area on end of island (my dad built all of his oak cabinets/trim-so I have some help) and we are going to paint all of the cabinets to get the painted cabinet look I was wanting for a farmhouse kitchen. My sink is an old crane 42" wide double basin, cast, freestanding sink so it was easy to work it around. At this point I could spend 9,000 on painting them and still come out ahead. Hope to post pics ... One day!
Jen

o

Jen, thank you so much for letting me know. I definitely will not be looking at Cliq Studio Cabinets anymore. I live near three of these stores. I know it is a hit or miss if they have what you need in stock. I may stop in. Your kitchen sounds like it will be beautiful and have the look that you like and you created it with love. I can't wait to see pictures.

o

I am writing a review of my recent experience with Cliq Studios. I just wanted to warn people to do their homework before buying kitchen cabinets online. If I had to do it all over again, I would have ordered them from Lowe's or Home Depot. I think the prices are comparable and I would have paid to have them installed. I know they would stand behind their products and any issues would be dealt with locally instead of having to be shipped.
We installed the cabinets ourselves & have had issue after issue. We are not new to home improvements, have been doing them for 23 years but this has been a thorn in our side. First off..don't be fooled by their website. It is very nice and their reviews are very good on their website but I somehow doubt that they post any negative reviews they may have received. I ordered the white Dayton cabinets. Here are some things to consider. The finish on these cabinets are something between flat and eggshell. I have tested on sample piece after I purchased them and started having issues ( I wish I had tested them before I purchased) I have noticed that mustard will definitely soak into the cabinets & permanently stain as well as oily things. They are not so easy to clean. Do not use magic erasers as they will scratch the surface. If you do decide to use Cliq Studios, communicate via email on major decisions you make. I didn't think anything of phone conversations and decisions that were made over the phone. When you make decisions on the phone with your designer, then there is no documentation. If you try to tell them that you said you wanted something, they will just tell you that you signed off on the order and should have reviewed your order sheet more carefully. Not very good stall instructions on fillers and crown molding. We ended up having to modify and create our own molding because what they sent looked horrible. I lost out on $400. They charge a 25% restocking fee and you have to pay for shipping. Just be aware and order locally if you can. I hope they hold up well....we shall see.

o

Purchased white kitchen cabinets from CliqStudios 2 months ago for a rental unit mainly because their pricing was the lowest. The old adage goes, "you get what you paid for." This definitely applies here. I will be very surprised if this product lasts any more than 3-5 years. It did have a nice painted finished appearance. And the structural box of the cabinet appeared to be of suitable quality. However, the components inside the cabinet (drawers, hinges, rails, srews, etc) appear sub-par. The craftsmanship needed to properly install all of these components to make for a quailty cabinet was also lacking. Several door fronts and drawer rails were crooked. If you purchase through CliqStudios be prepared to make some tweaks once your shipment arrives. Speaking of which, the shipment process was an absolute nightmare. These folks outsource all of their shipping to third party freight companies. These third parties in turn hand off the product to other third parties. I learned first hand how inefficient this process can be. Arranging a delivery then not receiving the product on agreed date. Parts of the shipment being lost for weeks and no one knowing where the missing pallets are. For this reason alone, to save myself the hassle, I did not want to return any damaged product for exchanges. I just fixed them myself. I will add CliquStudios design rep was helpful and friendly. And when I encountered numerous shipping issues with third party freight companies (of whom even CliquStudios couldn't keep track of) their customer service department was friendly enough but just not very helpful. Overall, I would not purchase from CliquStudios again and could not recommend their product or services to friends or family in fear they may also experience what I have. Hopefully for this company's sake my experience was an isolated one because I like the concept of ordering cabinets to your specifications online. The pricing was also what originally drew me in but I'll give this stronger consideration next time around. Good luck folks! It's always a gamble trying something new. Sometimes it works to your advantage and sometimes you live and learn.

o

Thank you so much for sharing! I will not be using Cliq Studios Cabinets due to this thread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here