Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
se_me

Tips for transporting a kitchen - cabinets / granite

se_me
9 years ago

I can't believe we are going to do this, but we're moving our kitchen with us to our new house. It's a long story, but in the end the primary driver was that the two additional cabinets we needed from our custom guy was going to cost almost as much as what our contractor quoted for the entire thing in his stock cabinets. So....

What are the best practices for transporting cabinets? We are moving in two phases, taking personal stuff now in a 27' Penske but leaving most of the furniture for staging. We can make room in the truck, but I was uncomfortable with stacking anything on top of the cabinets. Another option is a trailer behind our Tahoe, but my husband thinks a trailer is too light and will bounce too much. Final option is a Pod just for the cabinets. Moving from DC to Atlanta, about 10 hour drive.

Does anyone have any experience / words of wisdom they can share? Which transport method is safest? Do we shrink wrap and use blankets? Can the cabinets stack on top of each other? Or light boxes on top?

Getting the cabinets moved safely with the least amount of damage is the primary concern, but we also have some granite. The guys removed it yesterday, the longest piece is about 4' long. Do we need to build an A-frame for the granite? Or can we just lay it in the back of the Tahoe on a really plush comforter? And yes, we're clueless and probably shouldn't be doing any of this. But too late now.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

We moved cabinets on an open trailer and in the back of our van, but it was only an hour long trip. Wrapping the cabinets in cardboard and stretchy plastic wrap helped keep them from being damaged. We were able to nest some of the smaller uppers inside the lowers to conserve space.

Also, use tie down straps to secure them well. I think I'd be more comfortable transporting them in an enclosed trailer for a 10 hour drive. If that is not possible, tarp them extremely well in case of bad weather and to protect them from road debris. Having moved things on open trailers, I am amazed at how dusty things can get even in a short drive.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

No open trailer. You need an enclosed trailer or box truck, with places to attach rigging straps. Lots and lots of moving blankets and carboard and tiedowns. Not bungee cords. Real tiedowns. You'll spend a LOT of money at Harbor Freight just getting those materials, but you cannot do this without them.

Yes, you need to do an A frame for the granite. With it strapped down securely. With more moving blankets and tiedowns. If it moves at all, it will not survive that well.

The biggest thing you need is lots of muscle. This is all very heavy stuff, and it needs to be carefully placed with precision. If you're not strong enough to do that, hire labor.

I'm not even going to ask how you are going to fit those puzzle pieces into an all new space that they weren't designed to fit.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

Building an A-frame is probably your best bet but it takes up a lot of space. I would consider building a wooden slatted box for the granite to sit in . I would wrap the granite in moving blankets and strap the box tightly to the side of the truck with moving straps. A piece of foam between the granite and the side of the truck for cushioning. Important: the granite needs to ride upright on its edges - do not ride it flat. It needs to be well cushioned and not move.

As far as the cabinets go, wrap them in moving blankets and you should be perfectly okay. They should all ride upright also (not on their sides). Make sure they are secured in a way that prevents them from moving around I don't think it would be a problem to stack light boxes on top of the cabinets.

Make sure you rent an air ride truck.

This post was edited by jerzeegirl on Wed, Dec 31, 14 at 16:41

• ajc71
    9 years ago

POD will work fine, we have had a POD dropped at a manufacturer in Ohio that they loaded and we had it shipped to Boston without any trouble

Included in the POD was a very large hand polished lacquered kitchen and many aluminum framed glass door uppers...all shipped without any problem.

The cabinets were wrapped in foam, cardboard corners and tightly wrapped in shrink-wrap...the cabinets were packed in the pod floor to ceiling.

As for the counters I would also securely strap them to the side of the pod or truck and not use the A-Frame if I did not have the room for it

We have shipped very expensive kitchens for many years in our own trucks...some were shipped in open rack body type trucks and some shipped in box trucks without ever having major problems, little common sense and you will be fine

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

Protect edges of cabinets , either cardboard corners or furniture glides on bottom of bases and top of walls (walls travel upside down or on backs.)

Pack shelves separately or get plastic X things (source from a cabinet hardware supply or ask a local kitchen dealer) to secure in place.

No hand truck, dolly or hand carry.

Source cardboard from a kitchen dealer be worth trip to a job site.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

You don't have to have an "A" frame, but your stone must be transported on edge, not flat. Face to face and back to back only. Preferably in the truck or as far forward in the trailer as possible.

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

My sis moved my old kitchen (white thermofoil cabinets, a Kitchenaid range, a Bosch DW and several slabs of granite). We wrapped it all in quilts, slipping the granite slabs between the cabs. Four hours in a Ford 350 pickup, arrived with nary a crack or scratch. It's now her basement canning kitchen. Good luck!

• se_me
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the tips everyone, sounds like we just need to buy some more supplies. We do have a moving crew to help with prep and loading. And bizarrely enough, the old cabinets fit in the new kitchen perfectly, we will only need 1 new piece. Now I will say lots and prayers and keep fingers crossed that we can pull this off!
    Thanks all, happy new year