Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjhockeyfan325

Backsplash dilemma I never thought I'd have!

sjhockeyfan325
10 years ago

I thought I could pick easily and quickly. After all, we had a backsplash we loved in our old kitchen (but that one was traditional and this one is totally modern). The kitchen is very neutral color (glossy white upper cabinets, taupe-ish wood look laminate lower cabinets, fridge panels and "frame", white Ceasarstone countertops (not in yet). We only need about 20 sf (one wall) of tile. Why can't I just walk into a store and pick something?

The kitchen consists of a wall of cabinets and appliances about 11 ft long, and a 10'x3' island. It's part of a large living room, measuring about 40' x 22' in all. Kitchen and dining room share one half and living room is the other half.

Note that the dining chairs that you see in the picture will be going. We already gave away the table and sideboard, but needed to keep the chairs until we get new ones. Also, the Pottery Barn stools will either have to go or be refinished - the color of the stain doesn't work at all, but the stools are incredibly comfortable and we love them. We will have a sisal rug under the dining table (reclaimed wood with iron base). The main sectuinal and chair in the living room will be taupe leather.

Suggestions?

Comments (18)

• NashvilleBuild42
    10 years ago

What about forgetting tiles instead opting for a simple sheet glass backsplash?

This post was edited by NashvilleBuild42 on Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 13:19

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

I think the tile I used would look fantastic in your kitchen. It's Casa Roma Glass Vogue, a variegated glass tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: Casa Roma Glass Vogue tiles

• romy718
    10 years ago

Do you want to incorporate a specific color or are you trying to stay neutral?

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I think I would skip the tile and go for sheet glass as well.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Agree, sheet glass. I wouldn't let anything detract from those cabinets!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Since there is a lot of movement in your wood grain cabs, I would do a simple stacked tile...glass or matte....with matching grout color so it doesn't look busy and compete with the cabs....something like this but in a color to coordinate with either the cabs or counter...this is from Houzz..

"\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
    "\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 .HelveticaNeueInterface-M3;>
    "\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red153\green153\blue153;\red241\green241\blue241;>
    \deftab720
    \pard\pardeftab720\sl400\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs20 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
    \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2

[Contemporary Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103)>

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Followup - those of you who suggest sheet glass, are you talking about clear glass, and if so, what kind of glass do you use for a backsplash?

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also love both of the tiles suggested - I'll share with DH this weekend, when we have time to look/order (says she very hopefully!)

• cawaps
    10 years ago

Google back-painted glass. This is just sheet glass that has been painted on the back side (with special glass paint). Since the glass is smoother and flatter than the wall, this usually gives a better effect than clear glass over a painted wall. My understand is that if it runs behind a range the glass needs to be tempered.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

You'd use backpainted glass.

Here is a link that might be useful: [backpainted glass backsplash[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/back-painted-glass-phbr0lbl-bl~l_1907)

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

sjhockey - I really wanted back painted glass for my backsplash but my kitchen could not make friends with it. My kitchen turned out more transitional than modern and it didn't work for us but I think it would be great in yours,
    Be ready for sticker shock.
    Starphire glass is best as it doesn't look like a green coke bottle,
    There are many companies that do this - one was called Bear glass - I managed to get on their mailing list, so easy to remember the name.
    So exciting!

• LE
    10 years ago

I second the vote for a stacked glass tile with same color grout. Not too small, maybe 6 x 12 or 9 x something. It's going to be great, whatever you do!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I'm in a fairly high priced part of the country. Friends of mine had a backpainted glass BS installed about 2 years ago. They found it both very easy to clean and surprisingly affordable. Not sure what kind of tile they had considered, but the glass was not more expensive than a tiled backsplash. I could find out where they got it if you're interested

• Gracie
    10 years ago

If you have to use a tile, I'd go with the large format like lori suggested. I don't know how large glass subways come, but the goal is to minimize the lines. You want the eye to go to the unique cabinets and not shift between the cabs and BS.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again, and Happy New Year! (I'm sitting at my [plywood] island - templating is tomorrow - having a cup of coffee while DH cleans up from dinner guests last night, and I am just so pleased! You know how some kitchens and or living spaces are just conducive to "sitting" - we'll, this is one of them!)

Lori, how's the bathroom project coming? The linear drain works fantastically!

• LE
    10 years ago

Glad to hear the drain is great. Ours is still sitting in the garage. We had to get it WAY early because it goes in a slab and it's a curbless installation, so the GC had to calculate everything backwards from that to get all the planes to match up. Or something like that. Look for pix in the old drain thread. In March!

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

I echo the back-painted glass backsplash whole-heartedly!

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

I love the glass backspash idea, though I would take note of what looks like an industrial type vibe and suggest wire mesh safety glass.

http://img.diynetwork.com/DIY/2009/05/13/KB-2469121_hbbox107-CostCutKitchens-Tip10_lg.jpg

someone can remind me how to embed the photo in my post?