Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dilly_ny_gw

Wusthof Gourmet Knife Set

dilly_ny
9 years ago

I do not have a good knife set and I am thinking of upgrading. I do not want to spend more than $250 and I would like heavy steak knives as well as prep knives.

I was looking at the Wusthof Gourmet knife set currently on sale for $199.99 at Crate and BArrel and an additional 15% off. Does anyone have these? Are they good quality?

Or is there another set you could recommend in this price range... or less.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wusthof 18 pc set at C&B

Comments (16)

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

Hi dilly - I own several wustof knives and would say yes, they are very high quality. Between those and one Cutco, they're all I use.

That's a great price too - I say go for it!

• Mags438
    9 years ago

We have a couple knives from the gourmet and classic lines. IMHO, The gourmet line is really cheesy compared to the classic line. I was disappointed but they are sharp, so cheap me, will continue to use until they dull. I suggest you look at both lines. They feel quite different too! We tried a couple of the top chef brand (Amazon sale) and would go with top chef brand over the Wusthof gourmet line in a heartbeat.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

What mags says, get the classics, forget the gourmets. Don't waste your money!
    I would start with two or three classics over a whole set of cheap knives.
    You can always add to your collection as needed... chris

Edit to add: I cook a lot, and here's what I would suggest from the classic line... (prices from cutlery and more.com)
    1. 8" chefs knife (anniversary edition on sale now for $90 great price!
    2. 3.5" parer - $40
    3. 9" bread - $80
    You're only $10 bucks over your budget, but you will have knives that last you a lifetime.
    The gourmets are stamped, not forged.
    Good knives are like pots and pans, better to spend more once up front, for a few, rather than a whole set of carp you'll end up replacing down the line...

Here is a link that might be useful: Wusthof Classic

This post was edited by ctycdm on Mon, Dec 1, 14 at 15:11

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

Oh jeez I didn't even notice Classic vs Gourmet! What they said - I can't really speak to the gourmet mine are classic. Sorry!

• Lars
    9 years ago

I would rather buy individual knives rather than a set, but I would buy a set of steak knives, as I need multiples of those. I looked at chef's knives last week at Sur La Table and decided I liked the Shun knife best. I also liked the Henckels chef knife - but it cost $100 more.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful: Wusthof classic set

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    9 years ago

Do not buy a knife set. They are often filled with little used knives that will just collect dust.

By individual knives and a block or some other knife storage solution.

By a really good, big, heavy, chef's knife ( I have two to avoid having to wash while cutting both meat and veg), a serrated bread knife, a couple of smaller paring knives, a honing steel, and set of kitchen shears.

Wusthof are great knives and will last a life time with proper care (always hand wash). I have Wustof Grand Prix knives that hold their edge really well and look as good as the day I got them as a wedding present more than 12 years ago.

• Mistman
    9 years ago

I have Wusthof Classics, Henkel Classics (and a couple cheapo's) and Shun (?, from W&S). The Wusthof's tend to be my go-to knives, just feel right, always sharp and very well built. My least fav so far is the Shun chef knive, it's really light, not real well built and has a very brittle edge. The Wusthof tends to hold it's edge a bit longer than the Henkel. My wife is a butcher and we have a whole slew of Victorinox knives which are pretty good knives at a decent price.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

My Wusthof Classics are 35 years old. They have been in the DW hundreds of times, but I don't put them in any more after seeing how much it'd cost to replace them. I use the 6" Chef for almost everything. I have the 8" too.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I have the Wustof Classic 8" chef, bread, and paring, and will get more soon. They are a great product and worth the extra.

jossandmain.com is having 30% on Cyber Monday. They have the three piece set: 8" chef, 6" utility, and paring for $140. CYBER30 is the code.

• eandhl
    9 years ago

I strongly suggest you find a shop that handles different brand knives. Then you can handle them & find the most comfortable in you hand! Then as stated above start with a chef knife & paring knife , then you can add what is important to you. You can often find the 2 mentioned knives in a set on special.

• ssdarb
    9 years ago

I have 3 Wusthof Classics: a large chef knive, a long serrated bread knife, and another long knive that is like a chef's knife, but it's not as wide; it might be called a carving knife. Sorry, I don't know the exact names or mesaurements.

I also have a serrated knife that was given to me. It says Wustof Grand Prix on it. It's smaller than a bread knife (about 6" long blade), and so useful for just about everything. I use it every day.

In addition to those, I have 3 Henkles paring knives that were very inexpensive. They have colored handles (red, yellow and green), go in the DW and are sold in a set of 3. I use those a lot too.

I agree with not getting a whole set. If I had to choose only a few knives to start with I'd get a Wustof Classic chef's knife and bread knife, and then a cheaper set of paring knives like the set I mentioned. I do love that serrated knife, so if you are buying 3 of the Wustof's I'd go for that too.

Also, if you want a knife block you can find them in thrift stores. I just brought one to our local thrift because I store my knives in a drawer now - and I found my drawer block at the same thrift store.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

FYI a, if you don't live too far from their warehouse/facility in Norwalk CT, Wusthoff is having their holiday sale event this coming weekend. They sent me a postcard which would give an add'l 20% (?) off already discounted prices. We've been to their sale/events and prices are excellent. Most of our knives are Grand Prix's (original and GP II's???) as well as one knife with a Classic handle (not available in Grand Prix). I still have/use a few of my old Henckles knives (incl steak knives), but the Wusthoff chefs and bread knives are definitely better.

• function_first
    9 years ago

Homegoods in plainville, MA, had a set of the Grand Prix knives for $250 (might have been a little less) last Friday. I see the Grand Prix and Classic sets there (and at Marshalls and TJMaxx, as well) from time to time. If you're just starting to get them, the set is not a bad way to go - it's not every knife you'll ever need, but a really good way to start.

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

I also have Classic and when researching years ago, learned that Classic was the way to go and Gourmet was not good. Having said that - HOW DO I SHARPEN THEM??? I hate dull knives. I've tried multiple things to sharpen and just can't get it right (steel, electric sharpener, hand sharpener).

• Huntingflower
    9 years ago

deb - I take mine to a kitchen supply store and they do it for me. My MIL has a knife sharpener thing that she just slides the knives back and forth on and it seems to work very well.

• dilly_ny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all these suggestions. I didn't buy the set and I'll try to get to a store that sells several brands so I can compare them.

Thanks cat_mom - after the holidays, I might be able to head up to Norwalk. And thanks to Kris_ma, my homegoods trip will be more focused to look for knives. Thank you all for this valuable feedback.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz