Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Request for 2LittleFishies

Posted by babushka_cat (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 12:51

Hi Fishie,
Hoping you can help me out. I am designing a light rail for my cabinets as when seated in the livingroom I can see too much of the undercab lights and it is driving me batty. I am considering an approach that I think may be similar to your's. Can you take some close up pics of your installed lightrail -front on, profile and underneath and post here? Any details you think would be helpful. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Request for 2LittleFishies

Hi Babushka!
I don't know much about light rails, but here are some photos : ) I hope they help you. Let me know if you need anything else!

IMG_1656

IMG_1657

IMG_1658

IMG_1659

IMG_1660

IMG_1661

IMG_1662

o

thank you so much, this is very helpful!

o

And my thanks, too, 2LittleFishies. Your excellent and generous pics helped me clarify what I wanted as well!

L.

o

Ours is very similar but not as ornate.
One thing to consider is your under cabinet light placement.
We used LED light bars mounted on the front but had to move them back about an inch as the trim only allowed the light to shine on the back half of the counter. Now they are perfect.
Fishy used a different style light, so was able to front mount.
I will try to post a picture tonight

o

One approach to light rails I've seen in a kitchen lighting guide that makes a lot of sense is this: especially with directional lighting like LED (we're using LED strip lights), to point the light toward the back splash. This will ensure that lights are not shining in anyone's eyes from almost NO angle, and that you'll get even, glare-free indirect light that bathes the whole area. This will work best with a light-colored counter, back splash, and cabinet bottoms so they reflect the light rather than absorb it. Our counter is white, our back splash is a light gray glass tile, and our cabinet undersides are natural birch, so I'm optimistic for a nice even light.

I can't vouch for it yet, this is all just theory. My kitchen is being installed right now, and the under-cabinet lighting will come last after all the cabinets and appliances are in, but it makes a lot of sense. We have full overlay slab doors (Danish modern esthetic) and almost no upper cabinets, but where there are uppers, our light rails are about 2" high and are integrated into the bottom of the cabinets (no visible light rail with the doors closed, opening the door reveals a partial face frame at the bottom, the bottom shelf of the upper cabinet sits 2" higher than a plain box).

I'll try to remember to report back in a couple of weeks when I get it installed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here