Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muffinqueen

undercabinet television

muffinqueen
12 years ago

I love my new kitchen, but one change will have to be made before I can really feel at home there. I simply HAVE to have AM/FM radio and a CD player in the kitchen. I used to have an under cabinet unit, but now I have fancy schmancy undercabinet lighting. I think I will have to remove one of these lights to put a sound system. I could just put the old one there. But since it's Christmas, and Santa is rather insistent that I put SOMETHING on my list, I have a chance to upgrade and put up a unit with a flip-down TV under the microwave shelf. I'm coming here because almost all the reviews on amazon for such things are pretty horrible. If I have a television in the kitchen. it will have to be a flip down because all of my wall space is far,far away from my prep area. I would really rather not use my precious counter space. I'm OK with putting up the old unit. But I find it hard to believe the an electronics industry that gave us the iphone can't make a radio/television for the kitchen. I welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Comments (5)

• antss
    12 years ago

Those undercounter flip units ALL stink, quality wise.

You'd be better served in my opinion getting a flatscreen /DVD combo tv and mounting that to the backsplash.

You will get better quality and will be able to keep you lights most likely . Bigger and sharper picture is a bonus. They'll play CDs , but the radio could be tricky.

Some may have a radio tuner - panasonic TVs used to, and others might too. Other new models now come with WiFi and or Ethernet which would allow you access to many radio stations' streams as well as Pandora and iTunes.

The reason you don't find much of what you want is demand. Not a lot of people want what you're after. The vast majority get separate TVs and Music systems because the sound and picture quality on those all in ones is pretty bad.

• muffinqueen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I may just keep my old unit, then. The radio function is very important to me, since I often switch between AM talk radio and FM public radio while in the kitchen. Many of the reviews cited poor sound quality, which would just annoy me. I would probably rather listen to music, etc in the kitchen than try to focus on a little bitty TV screen. Thanks for your input.

• Tim
    12 years ago

Skip the TV (which will require cables to provide the signal) and get yourself a nice iPhone dock (I'm guessing you have one based on your earlier reference) with a radio built in.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

I would say to get an iPad and use pandora radio or one of the many other streaming radio programs. You can also watch TV on the iPad using one of the cable company or satellite aps (Direct TV has an ap I know) and there are lots of iPad docks out there. You can put recipes on it too or look them up when cooking.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

We found a Venturer unit online. It is a fold-up undercabinet t.v. plus DVD/CD player and radio and clock.

The thing doesn't have very loud sound in the CD mode (I listen to recorded books) and it refuses to remember where I left off on CDs but in general we're satisfied. It's very important to our way of life here in Floranthaworld and it's the best I could find at the time although not the cheapest. Has a wide screen on a pivot so we can aim it into cook's kitchen or along sightlines to eating areas. It has a remote control with a magnet in it; the remote controler usually is stuck to the side of the range hood for cook to manhandle. It has pre-set radio settings so I can flip stations from a button on the unit or by using the remote control. The "change mode" button is infuriatingly slow compared to our old undercab unit which went west.

We plug the thing into a plug outlet inside a closeby cabinet and we've put a cable outlet into the back of the cabinet too. This prevents the t.v. cord from hanging down in an unsightly way and keeps the outlets along the counters open for more kitcheny activities.

This photo was taken to illustrate something else but you can see the backside of the screen. Peninsula is to the right, with stools along that hallway-walkway facing into the kitchen. Screen folds up when I want it out of the way.