Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackchamois

Drawer boxes - chipped edges

blackchamois
11 years ago

My cabinet install began yesterday. After examining the drawer boxes a few are chipped. Others have rough edges.

I' sure they can sand the rough edges, but is it unreasonable to ask that the chipped drawers be replaced? The chips I have found are on the top of the side pieces so it's not like it will be covered by a drawer front.

The boxes are 1/2" plywood, not dove tailed and the doors/drawer fronts will be solid wood (painted white).

Comments (14)

• sixtyohno
    11 years ago

I'm sorry this happened. I don't think it is acceptable.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I agree that is not acceptable.

Here is a possible cheap/easy solution. I wouldn't like unfinished plywood edges, anyway. How about finding a wood-tone plastic U-channel to go over the edges of all your drawer boxes? I think they would not interfere with anything.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

How 'bout they just replace them with drawers that have edge banding?

The former is imperative to me, the latter is an option to have the look better and have a little stronger edge on the plywood.

The thing I don't get is why they're plywood?

• selphydeg
    11 years ago

I can't wait to see your kitchen BlackChamois. Did you finally decide on a color for the countertop?

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Angie - thanks that could be an option.

CEF - I've been told that plywood is stronger than solid as it will not contract/expand as solid wood would. Also, I may not have the best cabinet guy ... in fact I am sure of it. If I could start over I would do things much MUCH differently. What are others made from? Also, do you think the edge banding would eventually peel off? I think they put banding on the cabinet frames.

Lilymila - It is looking like Caesarstone Raven. Although now that I am coming into the home stretch I am getting really stressed out and second guessing all my decisions. I have a vision of what it will look like but fear that I will miss the mark!

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

We're building all of our drawer boxes out of 1/2'' plywood. We're using a mostly frameless/ hybrid system...and plywood is more stable than solid wood as well as being stronger. The stability is important because we live in an area of weather/ humidity extremes.

I'm not banding the plywood edges on the drawers because I don't have much confidence in the banding staying stuck. Just sanding and carefully easing the edges and then quickly getting finish on them.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Often, drawer boxes are made of solid hardwood.

To improve the plywood edge, you could also glue on a solid wood strip (rather a band), like this:

(It doesn't have to be tongue-and-grooved like that; glues are strong nowadays.)

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Angie - Thank you for the tip!!

• Donaleen Kohn
    11 years ago

my dh makes drawers from plywood and puts a mahogony wood strip at the top of each drawer.

and, no, i would not say your chipped drawers are acceptable.

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    11 years ago

donaleen - Those are lovely! Is that strip just glued down? Can those strips be purchased at the big box stores and cut to size?

• Donaleen Kohn
    11 years ago

my dh thanks you. he says they are ripped slightly wider, then glued and pin nailed, sanded flush, then he uses 1/16" roundover router. then a coat of finish, then fill the holes with a wax filler, melted on, then rubbed flush, then 2 more coats of finish...yes, it is time consuming but it looks so nice. everybody loves those edges.

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    11 years ago

donaleen - Wow! Yes, time consuming but love that attention to detail! I think that process is a bit beyond my skill set but they look fantastic! You are very fortunate to have someone so handy and talented! Does he have a brother? :)

BTW ... the cabinet guy came and took the drawer that was chipped and will be replacing it. I take care with all my things, I just hope that is not a sign of things to come.

• cluelessincolorado
    11 years ago

This is how ours turned out. I'd be afraid of splinters!!!

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Clueless - Thanks. I think mine will look much like that once the drawer fronts are on. They said they will sand all the edges so that they are smooth. Yours look very nicely done!