Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjzucker7

Knob pull decision for stacked cabinets. Input please?

szruns
9 years ago

My new cabinets are shaker style inset cabinets in a medium cherry.

I have picked Amerock Revitalize 96 mm pulls as my basic pull, and will use that on most doors/drawers.

Here is that pull:

The main upper cabinets are very large (10 ft ceilings, cabinetry going to ceiling with a modest crown molding). The main upper cabinet doors will have the 96 mm Revitalize pulls.

Most of the lower cabinetry will also use the same pulls, with a few of the largest drawers (over 30") using either the 160mm Revitalize pull OR two of the 96 mm. Any opinions on that? There are four sets of larger drawers -- widths of 31, 33, and two 36 stacks. For those sizes, what do you think of doing a single 96, single 160, or two 96mm pulls? Votes?

My main confusion is that I am trying to decide what to do for the upper stacked cabinets. The stacked cabinets will be about 15 inches tall, seedy glass fronts. My cabinet designer thinks the 96mm pulls would look heavy up there, especially since they project pretty far. I was thinking of a coordinating Revitalize knob -- they either have a rectangular one that complements the pulls best, or a round one. OR, I am tempted to do a glass pull as I rather like that look.

Here are some options.

Revitalize round:

Revitalize rectangular:

Glass knobs.

Thoughts?
I will follow up with more pictures, as I can't seem to do multiples in one post.

Comments (14)

• szruns
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Main 96 mm pull.

• szruns
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rectangular knob option

• szruns
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Glass knob option (feel free to suggest others)

This one has 1 3/8 width and 1 1/8 inch projection.

• szruns
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ps. In my dining room, I have a buffet and hutch thing that has the same cabinets.

It has seedy glass front doors on all the doors. In that room, the ceilings are only 8 ft, so they are not stacked cabinets. Just single glass doors. The glass doored cabinets are 27 inches wide, so each door is 13 1/2 inches wide. They are 54 1/4 tall cabinets, but the bottom 18 inches are three little drawers. Do you think the knobs (either glass or nickel, whatever we pick for the stacked cabinets in the kitchen) would be better in here, for either just the small drawers or for everything on the upper levels? (The lower cabinets in there are modestly proportioned doors and drawers, so I think the 96 mm pulls should be fine on the lower level there. Just wondering if maybe I should go with all knobs there instead of pulls.)

• emmers_m
    9 years ago

I'm not generally a knob liker, but I think the square knob looks good with your pulls (which are really nice!)

Knobs in the dining room might be cute for more of a built-in feeling.

~emmers

• flying_c
    9 years ago

Not from personal experience, but I've read on here that some people find square/rectangular/oval knobs frustrating because they need to be straightened all the time, otherwise they get off-kilter. Would that bother you?

• szruns
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback!

In general, I would avoid squared knobs because of the out-of-alignment issue, as, yes, it would get on my nerves!

I don't think that would be an issue on the top level stacked cabinets, because they are so high up and just for decorate items that the knobs would get very little use, so once I get them squared up, we'd be all good. :)

It might be an issue on any other smaller places that are more frequently used, like small drawers in the dining room, etc. What do you guys think about the glass knobs? Are they awful?

• szruns
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Holy smokes! Great minds think alike! I love that! Thanks for sharing! Are those Amerock glass knobs or another vendor?

• rebunky
    9 years ago

Yes, the glass ones are amerock too. I ordered all my pulls and knobs from ahturf.com. Two of the glass knobs were on back order, but they sent them a weeks or so later no problem. I like the glass especially at night cuz they shine, but not too much bling, if you know what I mean. :)

Oh and forgot to add that I major fretted over doing one or two pulls on my 36" drawers. I went with one of the biggest pull available in revitalize (not the appliance size that was big bucks!). I forget the exact size mm but you should see it if go to website.

This post was edited by rebunky on Sun, Dec 7, 14 at 21:10

• szruns
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, rebunky, for the ahturf mention! They have a bit better pricing than anywhere else I'd found these items.

I wonder if it is the 160mm pull that you used for the larger pulls. Those are the ones I'd picked out, as they are a lot larger than the 96 but still quite inexpensive relative to the huge bump in price for the even larger ones. That's what I'm leaning towards doing -- 96s for most, and 160s (just one) for the larger (30+) drawers . . . and now those Amerock glass ones for the upper stacked, and possibly for some of the dining room cabinetry. The cabinetry is being delivered Monday morning, so once I see it in person in the space, I guess I can make some final choices. I've got to do some counting and ordering!

Thanks!

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

It really depends on the proportion of the stacked cabinets.

• szruns
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@GreenDesigns, for most of the kitchen, the lowers are 39" high doors and the upper stacked cabinets are 15" high. Then there is 6" of simple crown molding above (going to a 10 ft ceiling). Does that help? In some of the lower half of upper stacks, there are smaller doors due to the fridge cabinet and oven cabinet, so on those two areas, the lower doors are not much larger than the top doors. . . but in all cases, the top doors are glass, so they look lighter than the wood doors. The glass doors will have interior lighting as well. What do you think?

• Pinkie8
    9 years ago

I bet you will not want a square knob- not even on the top cabinets. When I was kitchen planning a few months back, I had no idea regarding this. But my kitchen planning team from Missiissauga ,Ridgeway Design Centre helped me put up with it. I would prefer the round one or the lengthier pulling handle knob. Sharp edged ones like the rectangular one might look good to some of you but they are too dangerous if you have small kids at home. If you want more considerations, I can give you a link :

Here is a link that might be useful: A few considerations here