Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homebuyer23

Cooking question...pulled pork. New pot & Bosch oven. help!

homebuyer23
10 years ago

I know I should go find a cooking forum somewhere, but Im in a hurry & trust you guys! Is this allowed? sorry if not...

So, I want to make pulled pork. I just did a dry rub on an 8lb pork shoulder, bone in.

I have brand new 8qt cast iron dutch oven (martha stewart brand from Macys ($60 on black Friday), not le creuset unfortunately!).

Should I sear it first?

And recipes say cook in oven low & slow basically, but Im wondering which setting I should put my oven on...

bake, roast, convection bake, convection bake, conv roast, true convection, speed convection....???

Ill try to post a KAW photo if this works out! thanks!!

Comments (8)

• suzyqtexas
    10 years ago

I use Tyler Florence's pulled pork recipe

Here is a link that might be useful: Pulled Pork

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

The only real way to do proper pulled pork is in a smoker or a rig designed to use indirect heat. Low and slow is the key.

For the second best way, just rub it with spice, put it on a rack that will allow the fat to drain away into a reservoir, and put the oven on about 250. 6-10 hours later, it will be done. Baste with the melted fat during the last half of cooking if you want to.

What you don't want is the meat sitting there in it's melted fat. No Dutch oven unless you have a rack to sit the meat up in it.

• chesters_house_gw
    10 years ago

Unless I'm using a smoker, I start mine hot (400) to crisp the skin, leaving it there for about 20 minutes. Then I drop the oven to 200, leaving it there until the roast (fresh ham, shoulder) reaches about 170.
    You won't need a convection setting.
    I usually set roasts on a rack in a sheet pan, lined with foil for easier cleanup.
    I'd guess that bake or roast would be fine. Do those setting refer to which heating element is in use (top or bottom)?

• homebuyer23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Darn, I got impatient and just took a guess, though I should've waited for your good advice bc I don't think this'll be ready for tonights dinner anyway.

lwo, thanks! I bet a smoker would make it perfect. I don't have one though, and I'm not trying to win any contests tonight just feed hungry mouths! And most recipes I found online said to use a dutch oven & said nothing about a rack. I just got this new pot & wanted to try it out.

I ended up searing it, pouring some apple cider vinegar and 1/2 a beer over it, choosing "convection roast" on 275, and now its def sitting in all its fat slowly roasting away. I guess itll be fatty but it does smell good!

Next time I'll do a rack on a sheet pan. So you don't cover it when you do that?

My real question that I need to explore is what the difference is between all those settings on my Bosch oven...
    topic for another thread or someday finding the time & desire to sit down with the oven manual...

thanks!

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

Here's mine: Pork shoulder, bone in preferably, set in a dutch oven or crock pot, pour one can of root beer over, and I add 1 yellow onion sliced (optional). I simmer mine very low on the stovetop, but in the oven or a slow cooker on low would be fine. After about 6 hrs., drain off liquid, add your favorite bottle of BBQ sauce, (or home made). Simmer again for another hour or two.
    I serve on rolls with fresh cole slaw, and home made cast iron skillet cornbread...:)

• Fori
    10 years ago

...and...in case you didn't know it already, for next time, Gardenweb has an excellent cooking forum so you won't even have to look very hard!

• cparlf
    10 years ago

I do essentially he same as ctycdm, but I use pork tenderloin because it has less fat. I am one of those heart conscious folk, and to me, the taste is great and its almost heart heart healthy.

Not a fanatic, but I make substitutions along the path so I can still enjoy my favorites. I have a killer non dairy lasagne recipe if your curious............and even a zucchini version.

Long live us with heart disease.......

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

Non-dairy lasagne? I'd love to see that! About 8 years ago it became apparent that I'd become lactose intolerant. Sucks big time.