Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjmtr

Farrow & Ball Cornforth White kitchen

sjmtr
13 years ago

Hi all- am new to GW from the UK so bear with me as I am learning the GW ropes! I have been very inspired by this fab site as I am currently in the midst of a kitchen reno but sadly on a tiny budget-my husband is making everything himself at the weekends! So things are taking a LONG time to get there but I can be patient!

Painted in F&B eggshell Cornforth White, gray granite bought on Ebay and fitted by hubbie, as were all the handles and pulls. Dark wooden floor still to go in, Butlers sink (farmhouse/apron in the USA?)unit to be finished, rest of the beaded wooden inset cabinets to be made, little 24" wide black Aga range cooker to go in.....

Special thanks for the help to rococogurl and Allison for tech support!!-your kitchen is absolutely beautiful-puts our little homemade one to shame!!! I LOVE the colours you used and the layout, it's wonderful!! Without your help I never would have figured this all out!!!

">

">

">

">

">

">

">

Feel free to ask any more questions, as I'm always lurking here!!!

Thanks again to all the kind GWebbers too!

Comments (26)

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Hats off to your DH!

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

Send hubbie to me when you tire of him. Mine doesn't do cabinets and yours is very talented. ;>)

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Very pretty! Love the cabinet color. Is that a tiled niche behind cooktop? Would love to see some shots taken from a distance to get my bearings. Are all the doors in your home pine? Ours are too, but new and stained dark.

The flowers are beautiful too! Lucky you (and what a nice DH!)

• sjmtr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone, thanks for your kind words of encouragement through the mayhem! Yes, inside the chimney breast it is brick-tiled, think you call them subway tiles in the States? The little black range stove will fit in there-it's actually a false chimney breast that we built to hide the extractor fan! A larder cupboard sits to the left of it with fold back doors on piano hinges. As you can see, all the cabinet doors and things still need to be adjusted on their hinges-and everything will need another coat of paint-it's still very much a work in progress!

Our house is a typical Victorian home, so all the pine doors are original with brass rim locks. I will take some better photos from a distance when I can as these are very fuzzy!
    Can't wait for it to be finished-poor hubby with his hand-saw!!!
    Thanks again everyone for all the inspiration and help!

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

It's so wonderful to see a real DIY and all GW kitchens are like children -- beautiful and loved. Looking forward to pix of the little Aga when you get it.

Haven't seen Cornforth used before and it's quite fabulous -- that perfect tilt between gray and white. You're quite right, I think, when you called it Georgian. It reminds me of a Robert Adam ceiling color but wonderful for cabinets.

See you got the hang of the photos quickly -- those are what really makes it fun around here and why some of us hang around for so long.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Thanks for the beautiful pics! FB paint is so yummy. I'm jealous! That paint is so expensive here. Hats off to your DH and to you being patient. It will definetly be worth it in the end. Please post more when you're done.

Oh, and those roses and peonies are beautiful in your kitchen!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Your pictures are quite pretty and no one would ever guess they were DIY. It all flows so smoothly.
    Is it a UK thing, but I notice your knobs are very high up? It took me a while to figure out what looked different....

• ella-2010
    13 years ago

Hi smjtr,

Love the kitchen! You and your husband have done a terrific job!

Thanks for posting the pictures. I am still undecided on wall color for my kitchen and have been shamelessly fickle about color for cabinets as well. The Cornforth White is quite stunning!

ella

• mindstorm
    13 years ago

I spotted your thread about Cornforth White a few hours ago just as I was to pop out. Couldn't post then as I was leaving. Thank you so much for sharing your pictures - not only is your kitchen ever so charming and a proper labour of love (!) but it is painted in one of the colours I've long been so curious about. Cornforth White has regularly been one of the colours I've stopped at no matter *what* shade I was looking for. Thank you so much for sharing - this is a brilliant colour as another very nice greyish off-white - and looks splendid on the cupboards!

What colour do you fancy painting the walls with Cornforth White on the carpentry?

PS: I love your flowers. You've got me hungering for spring already when my roses come back to life. ;-) And they've only just gone for hte season!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Wow, I don't think you have to be too sad about your budget, because from what I see you're getting a fabulous kitchen! I completely understand a dh-built kitchen, because I have one, too, and after almost 3 yrs in our new house, the kitchen is still getting finished, little bits at a time. But the custom things we can ask our hubbies for are worth the wait.

Like others, I LOVE that color! Ebay granite you were able to fit...How fortunate. THe backsplashes look wonderful, too.

I'm not sure if I'm seeing all the pics...Are there any with a wider view of the space? I'm only seeing detail shots. Can't wait to see the rest.

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous -- the Cornforth White cabinets are so charming. I'm just now trying to decide which F & B white paint to use on my cabinets. I love Pointing, Wimborne White and White Tie. Now I have another off white to consider!

• sjmtr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everybody-thanks for your kind messages! Sorry I haven't posted any better wider shots-these are all old photos, but when I get a better camera and there's more progress to report, I will add some more!
    I also forgot to say that all the cabinets and woodwork are in F&B Cornforth White eggshell paint, and the walls in Cath Kidston emulsion-Antique White. The closest F&B equivalents are probably James White and Slipper Satin.
    Dianalo made a really interesting comment about the cabinet knob placing-this is one of the things that fascinates me about this site-finding differences in the way things are done, and popular items! In the UK it's really common on custom cabinets (we call them bespoke here) to place cabinet knobs midway up and have exposed cabinet hinges, but not so common in the States! Also, I love all the stainless steel ranges and oven appliance towers you have-in the UK (probably because the average kitchen is tiny compared to States-side ones) we only tend to have one oven/range and a microwave! My new little black range cooker looks tiny but is actually in one of our most popular oven widths-60cm or 24"!
    Also, as you can see in the very fuzzy photo, everyone in the UK-well, 99.9% of the population has an electric kettle for making tea, which is used all day long!! Hardly, anyone here has a stovetop gas one, just plug-in ones! Mine is a cordless electric one, but I'm always dying to know if people in the States use electric kettles, and if they are popular, as I don't often see them in the photos I look at on here!! Sounds very odd I know, to be interested in that but I am! They are probably the most essential kitchen item for most of us here in the UK!!
    We are also going to replace our fridge-freezer with a stainless steel one, at some stage, so all our appliances match. Just our range oven will be different being black-it also came in a cream colour too. By the way, you can see that our dining-room has become the DH's second workshop, and our poor oven is sitting waiting patiently to be installed!! The flooring is right beside it, and matches the colour of the windowsill. The range oven is a gas model, with 4 gas rings on top, and a removable griddle plate. It has two little ovens, a grill and is just right for our little kitchen!
    Hope that helps, enjoy your day!

">

">

">

">

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Wonderful, wonderful photos! Will look forward to seeing more as the project unfolds. I am also auditioning F&B whites for some uppers, so this is quite interesting to me.

I do have a cordless electric kettle. I think that once an American has been exposed to "the technology" of electric kettles, it is hard to go back to heating water on the stove. :-)

Your door and lock set and absolutely gorgeous, as are the flowers. Would love to see photos of your garden if you have them. (We are a greedy bunch aren't we?! More pics more pics more pics....)

• ladyamity
    13 years ago

Oh...this is wonderful, wonderful!

Your countertops are beautiful but subtle.....subtle enough not to distract from those beautiful cabs!

A two thumbs up for your Hubby and You!

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting more photos. Love the Aga. I wanted a European range but was worried about getting repairs. Maybe in my next life.

From your pine doors, floors and FP your home looks like it has a lot of character. Your accessories are also interesting (in a good way). Tell me more about the glass dome - what is that inside? A local antique store has a dealer that goes to England twice a year on buying trips. I buy a lot from her and from several dealers online in France.

I recently visited a friend in Louisiana, she had an electric teapot. It did heat up the water quickly! I use the microwave at home, and usually have two large cups a day.

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

amy is so right, we are photo-greedy. I love to see different ideas so I am enjoying your photos immensely. First, the pine doors in English kitchens are total heartthrobs for me as are the lovely brass latches like yours. We rarely see anything like that here unless it's custom -- only in UK photos or on TV.

That Aga is sensational. I love the black with the Cornforth and walls. Again, we are so doped on "restaurant style" and oven size here, not that it's bad but just that it gets to be a bit like everyone owning the same color and make of car. Agas are way under appreciated and there are other ranges in the UK like Britannia, Mercury etc with a style I also love but they don't tend to sell here. We have another favorite poster here -- marthavilla -- who has a stunning red Aga 6/4. Hope she appears.

To answer your question, I have a Braun electric kettle and use it every day both for morning coffee (drip) and tons of tea we drink through the day. We like Taylors of Harrogate tea which is several cuts above other commercial brands though I've no idea how if it's considered in GB. Do you know it by chance?

Also want to comment on the contrast of your window sill -- it went ping! for me because I instantly saw it as relating to the way Christopher Peacock uses walnut drip rails under his sinks. That sill is very instructive for me. So glad we found you!

• sjmtr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

How interesting! We actually have a matching walnut drip tray under our Butlers/farmhouse sink-they are very popular here in the UK!! I know your brand of tea, it's definitely considered one of our best brands!
    Thanks so much for your posts-I'm so glad to have my kettle question answered!! I will try and post a link to some of my home and garden photos on Photobucket-hope that's allowed on here!!

• dee850
    13 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! I love the hinge details on the cabinets. Would love to see more pics.

We have an electric kettle, too, but they are definitely not very common in my experience.

• sjmtr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone, thanks again for your all nice comments!
    The glass dome is an antique French marriage globe-they were popular in Victorian times, brides used to place their bouquets and things inside to preserve them. It's actually got a brass ormolu red velvet cushioned little chair inside that holds the bouquet!
    I'll try and post a link to my photobucket album that has more photos of my house and garden for those who were asking about the doors and things-most of the walls and furniture are painted in different F&B colours. The bathroom woodwork panelling is in Blackened, the big green dresser is in Arsenic, the dining room walls are in White Tie!! You can tell I'm a F&B fan!!

Here is a link that might be useful: My home and garden album

• allison0704
    13 years ago

I thought it might be a wedding globe, but couldn't tell what was in it. I adore vintage wax bridal head pieces.

Gosh, where do I start? I see so many things in your home I love - the chandeliers, the cupboards, your mirrors. The ceiling medallions - Gorgeous! Thank you for sharing.

I have a fondness for Shabby Chic, and have a SC bedroom in my home. DD1 went to college in San Francisco, then worked for Rachel. Needless to say, her entire apartment started out floral and pink, but has matured into a more grown-up Shabby. She needs a DD of her own one day to use all her pretty floral fabrics again.

Lovely home. Thanks again for sharing. Hope you'll continue to post progress photos of the kitchen.

• sjmtr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi again everyone-thanks for answering my kettle query! I've always wondered why I don't see more electric kettles on display on this site, so now I know!!!!
    Thanks Allison for your kind comments too-how lovely for your DD1 that she worked for Rachel!! I bet she learned a lot!
    I will post more photos as we slowly progress with our project-my DH is making 8 drawers for a bank of Butchers shop-style drawers which will take ages to make! 5 bits of wood per drawer to be measured, cut, joined , sanded , prepped, painted....argh!!!! Might be finished next Christmas!!!!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

sjmtr, everything is so lovely! I love the paint, cabs, and your Aga is just beautiful! I hope you'll continue to post pics as your kitchen progresses. Your garden is charming--I'd love to sit there on a sunny day sipping a cup of tea! Your chandys and beds are beautiful! Kudos to DH and you for such a wonderful job! Almost forgot to add that I have an electric kettle--love it!

• corgi_mom
    13 years ago

I love this site! Feels like we are sitting around the kitchen table sharing our thoughts and lives. We visited the UK in '04. I hated to leave! Your kitchen is lovely. Thanks for letting us take a peek. If I had an Aga I'd feel so English, it would be heaven. Tell DH he is amazing. Good Show!

• oldhouse1
    13 years ago

cjmtr, What a charming home and beautiful kitchen. Did you mention what part of the UK you live in? I absolutely love the charming way that the British decorate. My absolutely favorite British shows are Location, Location, Escape to the Country, Build a new Life in the Country and of course for my son, Top Gear. The beauty of the English countryside and villages are beyond compare. What a treat it is to read your post. My DD is going to school at the University of Westminster in London in January and I envy her living in your beautiful country.

Sue

• sjmtr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi again everyone-thanks for your kind comments. I find it so interesting hearing your responses! I've always thought I would love an American stove like a Viking or a Wolf range-the grass is always greener on the other side of the world lol!!
    I really like Location,Location too, but I didn't know you got that in the States! I live in Hampshire, which is Jane Austin country, and it's very cold here at the moment!
    Sue, I'm sure your DD will LOVE her time in London and you'll be able to visit too and do lots of shopping and sight-seeing!
    I'll post some more photos soon of any progress-here's hoping anyhow!

• allison0704
    13 years ago

How is your kitchen coming along? Hope you'll come back and post more photos.