Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Update: Protecting my Counters

Posted by beekeeperswife (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 12:28

Had a cocktail party on Friday night, 24 neighbors, most of whom we have not met. It was for all the "newbies" on the street.

I did not use the vitafilm/saran wrap idea (although it was tempting), but I went to HD and bought a couple of large (36x48) sheets of plexiglass. Bought some of those almost flat clear bumpers, used them to secure the plexiglass to each other as well as to provide a way for the sheets not to slide.

People did not notice it was there!!! It was one big coaster. I used cutting boards on the ends of the plexiglass, this worked as a visual clue to not go past that point because that was "worker-only" space.

And an unforeseen benefit besides not fretting about people putting their glasses on the island...it prevented a wine glass from breaking! Yes, that's right. A woman knocked over her wine glass and it did not break. I would still be cleaning up glass pieces today if that had hit the stone.

Even my dh became a believer!

And I was sitting at the island yesterday morning, and I realized, it was making sitting there more pleasant--it was warm(er) than sitting with arms on the stone.

We are not leaving it on there (although it is tempting!), but I wanted to share.

~Bee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Update: Protecting my Counters

so glad you found a workable solution...

that is a lot of new neighbors. is this a newly built street?

have to ask...knowing what you know now, would you still choose that countertop?

o

donaleen, yes in a heartbeat. I may have gone with a honed finish though. That was my plan if I went with a "known" marble.

o

Good idea!
Make sense, too.

o

Could you take a pic? Curious to see what the 'bumper' is.
Glad you had fun!!

o

i second the pic. :)

o

Oh, ok I'll snap a picture. But it's one of those little plastic things that you use to keep glass from sitting directly on a surface, or to put on a cabinet door so they don't "bang" when you close them. The package I got had various types with varying thicknesses. The ones I used under the plexiglass were very thin so as not to hold it up much from the counter.

I'll try to grab a photo.

Bee

o

i think she means these

Here is a link that might be useful: bumpers

o

It was closer to the edge for the party, we have moved it a bit

Photobucket

This is the bumper that I put between the pieces to "join" them. When I just messed with the sheets for the photo, I see that I didn't "join" them tightly like they were before.

Photobucket

this is a close up of another smaller bumper in the corner. The plexiglass did lay flat, but I lifted it up to take the picture and I just now see it didn't lay flat before I snapped the photo!

Photobucket

o

Yay! So glad that worked for you!

o

bee- are the edges of the plexi sharpish? Did you have to use gloves while handling? Looks great amd I may steal your idea to protect my marble island....

o

Plexiglass isn't sharp like glass could be. You would not need to use gloves to protect your hands while handling.

o

Nope, the edges aren't sharp. We did toy with the idea of rounding off the corners, but no need.

o

Ahhhh that is really a great idea!

o

Looks great! What a practical solution. I have some furniture glass that came with those, and the glass place just calls them buttons.

o

it sure is beautiful....i am glad you are still happy with it.

we saw some seagrass limestone that would have looked beautiful as our sink counter. but we didn't get it because we want that counter to be easy care. i still think about how pretty that limestone was.

o

Great idea and of course, always love seeing pictures of your island. (More pictures of the party/KIA please?) Best, oldbat2be

o

Tricky - did you survive the kids?

o

I love your idea Bee and it looks good too! I considered copying it for my honed marble at Thanksgiving, but I haven't had any stains (sealed), and I'm making little etches all over the place, so I just stopped being concerned. I have to strain and bend in the light to see the etches, and as far as I know, DH doesn't notice them unless I point them out, so I'm just leaving mine as is and will forego the plexiglass. It's a great idea though!

o

I forgot to take photos!!!! Nothing looked all that great until the food and beverages were out. And by the time I put the food out, guests were starting to arrive!

The non-English speaking woman and her 2 little kids did not come back this week. Perhaps she didn't understand my husband's explanation that she was a week early and she thought she was just not allowed in. And then when he returned the tray of food to her (really, it was wrong to keep 50 home made spring rolls) perhaps he totally insulted her. We don't know. Hopefully, they just were not available on the night of the party.

Only one family brought a kid. The mother told my next door neighbor that the kid was excited to see his new friends at the party. My neighbor told her that they weren't bringing kids, they had a babysitter. Poor little boy, every time the door bell rang, he ran to see if a little kid was there. He was good since he was alone and his mother watched him like a hawk.

Here's a picture of the table, 2 days before the party. There is only one bottle of red and one of white--they are holding the spots for the bottles. Nothing in the big drink jug (mistletoe martini were going there).

Photobucket

I did hang some really pretty wreaths on the windows after this photo too. But look at that sunset! That's why I snapped that photo. And this one too:

Photobucket

I cannot believe I don't have any pictures of the table after it was set up.

ugh

o

You are one clever and resourceful woman! Hats off to you and thank for sharing.

o

Please to restate what that "species" of marble is. Grazie

o

Lorenza, It's Super White, formerly known as a Quartzite here on GW and at stone yards, but corrected by Karin, our resident geologist.

=)

o

You're that organized, two days before? (Silly me, of course you are, because it's you). I focus on food and cook, cook, cook, overcook like crazy. Then, I'm a whirlwind right before, cleaning like mad (and shouting out orders to everyone else) for the few hours before. Just as cars are pulling up, I dash off to slap on some makeup and change clothes. Then, I spend the next 30 minutes worrying I won't have enough food, and finally the rest of the evening trying to remember to put everything out. When everyone's in the kitchen, it's hard to escape. People keep trying to talk to you....

Best, oldbat2be. P.S. - beautiful sunset, lucky you!

o

beautiful!!!

o

beautiful!!!

o

oldbat2be, you crack me up....no matter how much planning, the end of my story is pretty similar to the one you describe anyway. This was the first party we have had since I quit my full time job. So, I embraced every single moment by trying to be prepared as possible. If you look closely at that picture, there are lots of sticky notes. The dining room was worse...lots of platters with sticky notes! And no matter how organized I thought I was, surely something would not go as planned....I had a tray of pita chips sitting on the table with no dip...for hours. Why in the world would someone put out a tray of dry crispy pieces of pita bread? Because I forgot the Tzatziki sauce...and not just once either. I saw it, went to go get it, got distracted. Several times! That's ok, I wouldn't want the new neighbors to think I am too organized.

But I did love getting all the glasses and platters out ahead of time and washed. It was a very calm way to get it organized ahead of time. But the last minute crunch was still very much there...obviously since there are NO photos!

thanks kateskouros.

o

Fabulous idea!

o

I think the plexiglass looks great! It is a wonderful idea and hopefully you were able to be a bit more relaxed at the party ( as relaxed as one can be at their own party)-. I may have to remember that for our island if we have a party. It will be Walnut but you never know what can happen at a party when someone has too much to drink! Do you mind my asking if the plexiglass was expensive?

We just picked out our slab of soapstone today. Our cabinets are due to be installed on the 27th! So excited to finally be seeing the vision come to life! Now I have to figure out how to post pictures on GW so that I can share.

o

Very clever! My grandmother used to put plastic slipcovers over her furniture to protect it when people came over. She had that furniture for years, and it looked just as good as new when she died.

o

Awesome - can't tell it's there! What a great idea. I may have to get some...caught my father-in-law as he was about to cut fruit directly on my soapstone. Grrr...

o

My favorite look for counters by far is marble but I've been very reluctant about getting it.

Throwing a piece of plexiglass on for major social gatherings though would ease a lot of anxiety. My DB had a dinette table made from small shells that was worse then marble (water etched it). He ended up getting a glass for it (after it was refinished) so they could actually use the table. I could see using the plexiglass as needed and storing it away at other times. Hmmmm, I'll have to run it by my DH....he too loves marble, but he prefers counters more shiny.

o

bkw, sorry to be off topic, but would you mind sharing where you got those beautiful cream dining chairs? thanks for the plexiglass idea too!

o

Mich....Overstock...search for "sloping creme chair". Should lead you to them. Safavieh makes them.

Bee

o

Bee! Looks gorgeous! Merry Christmas to you and your fam!

o

thank you Bee! merry christmas to you and yours!!

o

totally awesome.
we are going to be forced into having a housewarming party so i think i'll be having it out in the backyard because we are pouring every cents of saving into the reno and I can't stand to imagine kids, heels, broken glass and whatnot.

My biggest problem now is how to handle the bathroom traffic bc they'd have to walk through the entire main house before getting to the bathroom... any ideas?

o

Funny I thought of you and the original plastic wrap thread when I saw an add in a Bed Bath and Beyond flyer for plastic tablecloth protectors. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/search/search.aspx/tablecloth-protector/?sstr=tablecloth+protector&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=tablecloth protectors&creative=19285486118&adpos=1t2

Your solution is barely noticable, but wondering is this something you think you'll use every time you have a gathering? Did you cover your perimeter counters or only the island?

GenerosiTea. How about a Porta-Potty. Kidding, but why have a party if you're that worried about people having to walk thru the "entire" main house? Isn't that a bit extreme? No one can force you to have a housewarming party so my suggestion is skip it because it doesn't sound very warming.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here