Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Update: Protecting my Counters

beekeeperswife
11 years ago

Had a cocktail party on Friday night, 24 neighbors, most of whom we have not met. It was for all the "newbies" on the street.

I did not use the vitafilm/saran wrap idea (although it was tempting), but I went to HD and bought a couple of large (36x48) sheets of plexiglass. Bought some of those almost flat clear bumpers, used them to secure the plexiglass to each other as well as to provide a way for the sheets not to slide.

People did not notice it was there!!! It was one big coaster. I used cutting boards on the ends of the plexiglass, this worked as a visual clue to not go past that point because that was "worker-only" space.

And an unforeseen benefit besides not fretting about people putting their glasses on the island...it prevented a wine glass from breaking! Yes, that's right. A woman knocked over her wine glass and it did not break. I would still be cleaning up glass pieces today if that had hit the stone.

Even my dh became a believer!

And I was sitting at the island yesterday morning, and I realized, it was making sitting there more pleasant--it was warm(er) than sitting with arms on the stone.

We are not leaving it on there (although it is tempting!), but I wanted to share.

~Bee

Comments (52)

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Good idea!
    Make sense, too.

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

Could you take a pic? Curious to see what the 'bumper' is.
    Glad you had fun!!

• carp123
    11 years ago

i second the pic. :)

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, ok I'll snap a picture. But it's one of those little plastic things that you use to keep glass from sitting directly on a surface, or to put on a cabinet door so they don't "bang" when you close them. The package I got had various types with varying thicknesses. The ones I used under the plexiglass were very thin so as not to hold it up much from the counter.

I'll try to grab a photo.

Bee

• Donaleen Kohn
    11 years ago

i think she means these

Here is a link that might be useful: bumpers

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It was closer to the edge for the party, we have moved it a bit

This is the bumper that I put between the pieces to "join" them. When I just messed with the sheets for the photo, I see that I didn't "join" them tightly like they were before.

this is a close up of another smaller bumper in the corner. The plexiglass did lay flat, but I lifted it up to take the picture and I just now see it didn't lay flat before I snapped the photo!

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Yay! So glad that worked for you!

• secondhalf
    11 years ago

bee- are the edges of the plexi sharpish? Did you have to use gloves while handling? Looks great amd I may steal your idea to protect my marble island....

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Plexiglass isn't sharp like glass could be. You would not need to use gloves to protect your hands while handling.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nope, the edges aren't sharp. We did toy with the idea of rounding off the corners, but no need.

• heidia
    11 years ago

Ahhhh that is really a great idea!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Looks great! What a practical solution. I have some furniture glass that came with those, and the glass place just calls them buttons.

• Donaleen Kohn
    11 years ago

it sure is beautiful....i am glad you are still happy with it.

we saw some seagrass limestone that would have looked beautiful as our sink counter. but we didn't get it because we want that counter to be easy care. i still think about how pretty that limestone was.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Great idea and of course, always love seeing pictures of your island. (More pictures of the party/KIA please?) Best, oldbat2be

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Tricky - did you survive the kids?

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

I love your idea Bee and it looks good too! I considered copying it for my honed marble at Thanksgiving, but I haven't had any stains (sealed), and I'm making little etches all over the place, so I just stopped being concerned. I have to strain and bend in the light to see the etches, and as far as I know, DH doesn't notice them unless I point them out, so I'm just leaving mine as is and will forego the plexiglass. It's a great idea though!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forgot to take photos!!!! Nothing looked all that great until the food and beverages were out. And by the time I put the food out, guests were starting to arrive!

The non-English speaking woman and her 2 little kids did not come back this week. Perhaps she didn't understand my husband's explanation that she was a week early and she thought she was just not allowed in. And then when he returned the tray of food to her (really, it was wrong to keep 50 home made spring rolls) perhaps he totally insulted her. We don't know. Hopefully, they just were not available on the night of the party.

Only one family brought a kid. The mother told my next door neighbor that the kid was excited to see his new friends at the party. My neighbor told her that they weren't bringing kids, they had a babysitter. Poor little boy, every time the door bell rang, he ran to see if a little kid was there. He was good since he was alone and his mother watched him like a hawk.

Here's a picture of the table, 2 days before the party. There is only one bottle of red and one of white--they are holding the spots for the bottles. Nothing in the big drink jug (mistletoe martini were going there).

I did hang some really pretty wreaths on the windows after this photo too. But look at that sunset! That's why I snapped that photo. And this one too:

I cannot believe I don't have any pictures of the table after it was set up.

ugh

• pcweary
    11 years ago

You are one clever and resourceful woman! Hats off to you and thank for sharing.

• Lorenza5064
    11 years ago

Please to restate what that "species" of marble is. Grazie

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lorenza, It's Super White, formerly known as a Quartzite here on GW and at stone yards, but corrected by Karin, our resident geologist.

=)

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

You're that organized, two days before? (Silly me, of course you are, because it's you). I focus on food and cook, cook, cook, overcook like crazy. Then, I'm a whirlwind right before, cleaning like mad (and shouting out orders to everyone else) for the few hours before. Just as cars are pulling up, I dash off to slap on some makeup and change clothes. Then, I spend the next 30 minutes worrying I won't have enough food, and finally the rest of the evening trying to remember to put everything out. When everyone's in the kitchen, it's hard to escape. People keep trying to talk to you....

Best, oldbat2be. P.S. - beautiful sunset, lucky you!

• kateskouros
    11 years ago

beautiful!!!

• kateskouros
    11 years ago

beautiful!!!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oldbat2be, you crack me up....no matter how much planning, the end of my story is pretty similar to the one you describe anyway. This was the first party we have had since I quit my full time job. So, I embraced every single moment by trying to be prepared as possible. If you look closely at that picture, there are lots of sticky notes. The dining room was worse...lots of platters with sticky notes! And no matter how organized I thought I was, surely something would not go as planned....I had a tray of pita chips sitting on the table with no dip...for hours. Why in the world would someone put out a tray of dry crispy pieces of pita bread? Because I forgot the Tzatziki sauce...and not just once either. I saw it, went to go get it, got distracted. Several times! That's ok, I wouldn't want the new neighbors to think I am too organized.

But I did love getting all the glasses and platters out ahead of time and washed. It was a very calm way to get it organized ahead of time. But the last minute crunch was still very much there...obviously since there are NO photos!

thanks kateskouros.

• Mags438
    11 years ago

Fabulous idea!

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

I think the plexiglass looks great! It is a wonderful idea and hopefully you were able to be a bit more relaxed at the party ( as relaxed as one can be at their own party)-. I may have to remember that for our island if we have a party. It will be Walnut but you never know what can happen at a party when someone has too much to drink! Do you mind my asking if the plexiglass was expensive?

We just picked out our slab of soapstone today. Our cabinets are due to be installed on the 27th! So excited to finally be seeing the vision come to life! Now I have to figure out how to post pictures on GW so that I can share.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Very clever! My grandmother used to put plastic slipcovers over her furniture to protect it when people came over. She had that furniture for years, and it looked just as good as new when she died.

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

Awesome - can't tell it's there! What a great idea. I may have to get some...caught my father-in-law as he was about to cut fruit directly on my soapstone. Grrr...

• aloha2009
    11 years ago

My favorite look for counters by far is marble but I've been very reluctant about getting it.

Throwing a piece of plexiglass on for major social gatherings though would ease a lot of anxiety. My DB had a dinette table made from small shells that was worse then marble (water etched it). He ended up getting a glass for it (after it was refinished) so they could actually use the table. I could see using the plexiglass as needed and storing it away at other times. Hmmmm, I'll have to run it by my DH....he too loves marble, but he prefers counters more shiny.

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

bkw, sorry to be off topic, but would you mind sharing where you got those beautiful cream dining chairs? thanks for the plexiglass idea too!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mich....Overstock...search for "sloping creme chair". Should lead you to them. Safavieh makes them.

Bee

• sabjimata
    11 years ago

Bee! Looks gorgeous! Merry Christmas to you and your fam!

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

thank you Bee! merry christmas to you and yours!!

• GenerosiTea
    11 years ago

totally awesome.
    we are going to be forced into having a housewarming party so i think i'll be having it out in the backyard because we are pouring every cents of saving into the reno and I can't stand to imagine kids, heels, broken glass and whatnot.

My biggest problem now is how to handle the bathroom traffic bc they'd have to walk through the entire main house before getting to the bathroom... any ideas?

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Funny I thought of you and the original plastic wrap thread when I saw an add in a Bed Bath and Beyond flyer for plastic tablecloth protectors. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/search/search.aspx/tablecloth-protector/?sstr=tablecloth+protector&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=tablecloth%20protectors&creative=19285486118&adpos=1t2

Your solution is barely noticable, but wondering is this something you think you'll use every time you have a gathering? Did you cover your perimeter counters or only the island?

GenerosiTea. How about a Porta-Potty. Kidding, but why have a party if you're that worried about people having to walk thru the "entire" main house? Isn't that a bit extreme? No one can force you to have a housewarming party so my suggestion is skip it because it doesn't sound very warming.

• sofibebe
    8 years ago

Currently experiencing the same anxiety Bee had over my superwhite, which was sold to me as a quartzite/granite and i none the wiser took everyones word- its also more of a hey, i wasnt expecting etching and scratches on this stone, more than an unwilling to accept it. Love the plexi idea- we too have a 6x3ft island i am super paranoid about using for anything. How bad would it be to keep the plexi on full time?

• sofibebe
    8 years ago

Also Bee, are your tops honed? Mine have a super glossy finish, so more terrifying yet! It looks like yours arent as glossy but pics can be decieving

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

Are you really asking for opinions? To me, keeping plexi on superwhite full time would be like plastic slipcovers on my furniture. Both would be non-starters.

• sofibebe
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I am simply asking whether Bee does or how often she uses them, since it has eased her anxiety over this stone. Mine are a polished finish and I don't want to ruin them. I too was unawares of what the stone really was and what that implied, so like Bee I was caught off guard.

Forgive my ignorance, but I wasn't looking for an attack, I came in search of suggestions on what to do. If it makes or anyone else feel better, why would that be a problem for anyone who opposes it, it's not in their kitchen. We can all play nice in the sandbox.

Also, I am curious if anyone has had their stone honed from a polished finish onsite, and how they like it as this was recently suggested to me as an option for the super white. Since her original post was a few years old, I wanted to see how she was holding up and if she's done anything since, or has any suggestions as to its care from a personal perspective.

• designsaavy
    8 years ago

I don't believe SJHockeyfan was attacking, just answering their opinion to the question that was asked: How bad would it be to leave the plexiglass on all the time?

IMO, if you like the idea of it, go ahead and do it and don't worry about what anyone thinks. At least you could still see the stone through it. :)

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

What designsavvy said. I don't know how you could read it as an attack, when you yourself asked the question.

• sofibebe
    8 years ago

i apologize for jumping to conclusions, i am just looking for advice on how to treat my new stone- and am teetering on the edge of this upsetting realization, and I figured it would be best to ask someone who's been living with it in her kitchen for a few years! If there was a private messaging feature it would make it easier, not trying to clog up the feed.

• romy718
    8 years ago

Sofibebe - here is one of the solutions I use to protect my marble when I'm cooking with known "etchers".

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2540520/how-i-am-protecting-my-marble-and-wood-countertops

The silver mats are lightweight & easy to pull out of my vertical storage. I have enough to cover my 3ft x 5ft island for major cooking/prepping projects. These are easier to manuever than plexiglass. I do have lipped plexiglass cutting boards. I use these on my walnut island when I'm entertaining a large group & using the wood island for buffet style serving. I purchased the lipped plexiglass cutting boards at Improvements.com.

My daughter, son in-law & 1 y/o spent a large part if this summer at my house - no major etching accidents.

• romy718
    8 years ago

Here's a pic of the plexiglass cutting board (I don't cut on them). Message me if you have any other questions.

• sofibebe
    8 years ago

Romy! Thanks for your suggestions, i was just looking at those pads since i came across your previous posting of them laid out across your counter (or someone else's by your suggestion or vice versa!), was just about to order on amazon, but was reading some comments about scratchy bent corners. Im glad you replied and that they are working out for you! I previously had ordered some silicone mats to put alongside my oven sides but im waiting for them to come in to see their functionality, they are wide enough that theyd catch any straying grease pops! The plexi glass edge trays are interesting too!

• sofibebe
    8 years ago

Romy- how do i message you? I was trying to find a messaging button but im a little houzz stupid it seems.

• romy718
    8 years ago

Go to your profile, advanced settings & then privacy settings. Allow messages to be sent to you. I have mine set up to receive messages.

• oldbat2be
    8 years ago

sjhockeyfan - down girl, down! (Waving to Bee if she's reading. Hope the 'new' business is going swimmingly).

• romy718
    8 years ago

Sofibebe - order the pads from Home Depot, free shipping with a $35 purchase. That's assuming you have a Home Depot nearby that you can return them to, if they arrive damaged - scratchy bent edges. There are several complaints on Amazon regarding the pads arriving damaged. One of the sizes I ordered from Kitchen & Co., I believe.

Sign up Improvements.com emails & you'll receive a coupon for the acrylic (plexi-glass) lipped cutting board.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!