Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would you do?

Posted by chellamaral (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 12:27

Due to some tile spacing issues, it was better to extend the tile to butt up against the door jamb on the left. The right end on the adjacent wall with open shelving will be bull-nosed right to the edge of the wall.

question #1...should I extend the tile on the left wall down to the baseboard along the lower cabinet?

question # 2...should I extend the tile on the left side up the side of the cabinet to the same height as the tile under the shelf?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would you do?

Yes to both questions. Looks kind of unfinished the way it is now.

o

I would match the lines of the backsplash. If you go to the baseboard elsewhere in the kitchen, you should here too. If your lowest tiling point is the counter, I would stop at the counter.

On the upper end, yes definitely match the upper level line.

o

OK! Sort of the same question...

Do I stop the tile right to the edge of counter-top, or extend it past to match the other, and extend up and down? This wall has a curved edge, so I really can't bullnose right to the edge.

o

Are you going to put tile on the other side of the lower shelf bracket? If so, then I'd add more tile on the left side of the cabinet (to match the tile under the shelf). If not, then I'd just add the last tile and leave paint showing against left side of cabinet and right side of shelf brackets.

If you don't add the tile on the left side of the cabinet, then I wouldn't add tile down to the baseboard. Personally, with a backsplash, I wouldn't want tile along the edge of the lower cabinets...unless you're trying to recreate an older vintage kitchen, with the tile walls. Just my two cents :)

o

I agree with you, but HD doesn't see it my way! I've never seen tile down to the floor, so I wasn't sure if it was acceptable. The tile will also be applied in the new beverage area in the left of this photo at the same height

o

Yes, the tile will be on the right of the shelf brackets. Phew, I'm glad you see it the way I do....I will be showing your answers to DH! Thanks!

While I'm asking....I originally planned on painting the new banquette seating white and the shelving in that area as well. Thought if everything was cherry, it would be overkill. Family now says stain the seating so it wears better. Can't decide!The shelving in the kitchen will be stained now that I see them up...had also planned to paint be changed my mind again! BTW, countertop in beverage area will be white marble of some sort

o

didn't we just recently (last few wks) have someone tile on down the little strip (like yours) by a doorway and cabinet/counter? I think everyone gave that a thumbs up.

didn't they?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here