Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwtamara

Testing social media share bar

gwtamara
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

We are currently testing a social media share bar that will allow you to share posts to your favorite social media sites as well as sharing it via email. You will find it at the beginning of all threads and also at the top of the main forum page.

This is only being tested on this forum, so I would appreciate any feedback that you might have. If you are seeing any problems or having issues using the bar, post to this thread. Please indicate what browser and version you are using as well -- this is very helpful!

Any questions, please let me know.

Best,

Tamara

Comments (150)

• marcolo
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yeah, well, how would you like me to post your mortgage balance in this thread? Since you've already posted enough to reveal your identity, and your mortgage information is public record, why not? And maybe tweet it out with your name attached?

Or maybe there is actually a difference between having information technically available to someone who really digs for it, versus collecting all information about every part of a person's life and unexpectedly displaying it in one place.

I am sick of Web-based and social media businesses talking out of both sides of their mouth. If everyone truly withheld all personal information of every sort from online businesses, they would all collapse by end of day today. They constantly bait and switch, encouraging interaction and then turning around and changing the rules long after the fact--sometimes years after the fact--and telling you too bad, you "should've known."

I find most social media businesses ethically repulsive. I want no part of them.

• oceangirl67
    11 years ago

I've been saying for a long time that something exactly like this is needed for gardenweb to keep up with the competition. Thank you for doing this.

• peoniesandposies
    11 years ago

NO!!!!! If I wanted to post something to FacebookWe would lose what makes this forum nice.

• cynic
    11 years ago

hollysprings put it well. At least give an opt-out if you force it in.

New does NOT equal better.

Put more simply:
    NO!

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Oceangirl67--I don't think there is one person here who enjoys your trolling or posting rude-ish comments to people as you have been doing for so long. I'm surprised no one has called you out on your behavior in the past.

You're free, of course, to offer your opinions, but only seem to do so when it causes the most ire in posts where your well-positioned dissension causes the most perceived disruption.

This post was edited by breezygirl on Sat, Dec 8, 12 at 17:02

• athomeinvagw
    11 years ago

I am not for the bar, I was only stating that people should be careful with what they post here no matter if the bar is here or not. You, Marcolo, are careful. And you are right, I do not want my name directly connected even if someone could search and find it and I would absolutely not use any feature of the bar, ever.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

What makes this forum unique is the confidentiality and the ability to post and share with friends. I want it to stay that way. Please keep the forum the way it's been. I value the forum because of the way it's been run and I'd like to continue to value it. I would be reluctant to post my feelings or advice on any site that is contemplating going viral.

• HomeMaker
    11 years ago

I don't post at GW much any more, but this will push me out the door.

No thanks!

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

I second breezygirl - definitely have noticed the very same thing with that poster.

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    11 years ago

I don't believe it's really gone. It will be back in some other form. As others have said it so well:

I have no social media accounts (from choice, I've looked at the poss. and decided I wasn't interested). So I realize that makes me an odd duck. But the idea that others have accounts and might repost my commentary (or much worse) my images is a real turn-off.

NO! cynic, how did you make that a big red NO?

Another no vote here. If I wanted my comments on FB or other social media sites, I will put it there and no one else please.

NO! I don't do Facebook, I don't do Pinterest, or anything like that. I would not even visit GW if it became like all the rest of those sites.

ritaweeda, please point me to the quilting forum!

I don't post at GW much any more, but this will push me out the door. But first, a quick trip to photobucket to move photos around.

• gardenamy
    11 years ago

No! Hope that GW heard the voice of the masses!

• gardenamy
    11 years ago

No! Glad GW has heard the voice of the masses!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

drbeanie, take a breath. You're a day late .. and did I mention a dollar short? If someone came across your pics and pinned or linked, or even saved, they just out there.

I would enjoy the ability to pin a post under my user name or something. The clip thing is fine, but as someone mentioned, if the photo is taken down, it's no longer in that clip.

I am fascinated by the overwhelming nos.

Lov_mkitchen, it's basic html (web design code). I agree this has the look of the 90s, but I also don't like boards where it's tough to see a whole thread on one page. Or there is so much crap in and around the text box it's hard t figure out where the Send button is.

This isn't the best -- by far. It is still a primitive board. But it does work and serves the members well. Let's start with eliminating the Internal Error thing before we jump 2 decades.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

If this happens I will not be participating and I do a lot of helping on the Computer Help forum, I am pretty sure a lot of the other helpers there feel the same way.
    That will be very unfortunate, we love to help those that need help but I will not, NEVER, be connected in any way to Facebook and other forms of social media.

This is a HUGE MISTAKE and will cause the loss of a multitude of members that have been here with GW as LOYAL friends. PLEASE don't do this if you do actually care about what WE think.

NO NO NO NO NO!!!

• hounds_x_two
    11 years ago

Nooooooo!

• phoggie
    11 years ago

Please keep what is posted on GW staying on GW. If I want something posted on FB, I will post it on FB!

• annettacm
    11 years ago

I will say I LOVE Facebook... for what FB is. A place for me to talk to my friends (not strangers) and share stuff about my life and my family. If a post on here were relevant to that, I could copy the url and share it as a link. But mainly, I just post funny, sarcastic, goofy things that my friends and I can laugh at.

I love Twitter, as a way to hear from my favorite talk radio personalities, keep up on the local high school football scores and have some instant news links. I don't see GW being a part of that.

I love Pinterest. I go there when I'm looking for visual inspiration, not technical layout or appliance advice. That's my HGTV in picture form. Plus I find good recipes there. Quick, easy, pretty.

I love GW when I want to get into the nitty gritty of remodeling talk. John Bridge gets too technical for me for tile. Plumbing forums are in a foreign language to me. This is just the right mix of quality information, fun banter and knowledgeable lay-people with a few experts thrown in for good measure. When someone says, "What gray is not too gray but just gray enough?" I get what they are asking. My FB friends would say, "What the heck are you talking about?"

There is a place for all of them. Making it too easy to mix them all up will confuse the masses. Too many buttons. No need.

I know I've said my peace a few times, but I wanted to come to the defense of social media, which is here to stay and can be used with very positive results. Not sure why I felt the need. LOL... those who hate FB will not be persuaded, I know. I actually see GW as kind of a cross between all of those. Pretty pictures, sharing with "friends", joking, helping, sometimes even sharing news-worthy articles. But my FB friends wouldn't know what a GW even was. They are not TKO'd in the slightest.

• leela4
    11 years ago

So, are we going to find out-for sure-whether or not this idea has been tossed out? Tamara?

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

No. If that happens, I am through. Gone, finished, through.
    The world is too distracting already, and privacy aside, part of the beauty of the GW forums is that they function like genuine conversations among self-selected people. The advice is good because it is thoughtful, unlike most social media, which is tossed at you from a moving train.

Already, spammers are creeping in regularly, and it's only because we know each other and know our norms and vocabularies that we can spot them and root them out.

Finally, here are some examples of antiquated things:

The Parthenon
    Venice
    an 18th century table
    a hand-knotted pure wool naturally dyed rug
    Maggie Smith

Not everything needs to be made as new as everything else.

• drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

CEFreeman - I was afraid of that. Oh well.

• Irish2
    11 years ago

"No" vote from me!

• kswl2
    11 years ago

If this plan is realized I will have to change the gallery locations of all my photos so the links to them will be broken.
    I DO NOT WANT PHOTOS OF MY HOME ON FACEBOOK.

Perhaps if everyone changes the online location of their photos (by renaming them, changing the gallery locations, etc.) and thereby REMOVES THE CONTENT, GW will rethink this decision. Because when content goes, so do advertisers...

• cawaps
    11 years ago

Well, it seems like a no vote from me is unnecessary, but that is what it would have been. I used to be on Facebook and dropped it. I guess I'm an old fogey, but I just don't "get it." It's not social networking--because these boards are a form of social networking. It's the fact that I'm a private person and don't want to engage everyone in my life publicly. I want to control what I say to whom and when. I used Facebook so infrequently that it seemed to have its own private life that had nothing to do with me.

The other things I hate about social media task bars (based on experience with other sites; the bar didn't stay up here long enough for me to notice) are the fact that they slow down site functionality because they can be slow to load and also I find that often the back button on my browser no longer works right--I end up having to use the drop down on the back button or I get hung up on something related to Facebook. I've never seen this issue brought up, so maybe it's just me, but it's super irritating.

• iroll_gw
    11 years ago

Another huge no. This is one of the now rare places where one can ask a question, and have patient, knowledgeable people THINK, do research and post helpful information. Unlike the way most of the "real" world is today, where most people are walking around with their eyes glued to an electronic device, oblivious to their immediate surroundings.
    I feel even more attached to this forum now that it is revealed how many of us are not on the social media bandwagon (in the real world, I feel like the only one).
    But I would fade away if the FB linking does become permanent.

• 1929Spanish
    11 years ago

I easily adapt to change in general.

However, I don't adapt to loosing control over my information. I keep limited exposure on FB - I don't rant, I don't air dirty laundry and I don't keep posts up for long. I'm also very careful to keep work-related contacts only on LinkedIn. As for Twitter - if I'm not having a discussion of some kind, I don't give a shedoodle about random stupid thoughts.

So if I happen to post a moronic statement on GW, I don't need to see that sent anywhere. GWers were very helpful when we were under construction, and I felt comfortable asking what I thought might be silly questions.

However, I'm guessing you'll do what you want.

I'll remove my photos from photobucket, close out of this site and go on to something else.

You'll find someone new to join and maybe, just maybe, they will respond to some of your advertising.

• lolauren
    11 years ago

I third what Breezy said... (I mentioned something on another thread yesterday.) I can't tell if it's just some immature person who thinks it's fun or is someone on this board with a second username. Either way, it's getting old.

• denali2007
    11 years ago

Absolutely, positively NO NO NO

• gwtamara
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi folks,

As I said in my original post, we wanted to TEST this functionality. We do appreciate your thoughts and input and we always take them into consideration when making decisions that affect our site. As some of you have noticed, we have removed the sharebar from the site and won't be launching it at this time.

I think that what has been most interesting about this discussion is the wide range of perception about the Internet in general. While this forum may feel like your own bubble, it is, in fact, a very open, public place. What you post here is viewed by far more people than anything that might be shared to a Facebook page. It never hurts to be reminded that everyone should post with care and caution and that once you post, your words and pictures may be forever recorded. I also think that there are a lot of misconceptions about how social media works and exactly what it means to 'share' posts. I hope that this discussion will also lead to further clarifications and a better understanding.

We are continuing to work on new enhancements and improvements to the site. As you know, we recently launched the ability to edit your posts and we are continuing to work on things like an improved search engine and mobile applications. Please continue to offer your suggestions!

Best,

Tamara

This post was edited by gwTamara on Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 20:49

• shannonaz
    11 years ago

Just FYI, this would change absolutely nothing. I can post a link to Facebook quite easily and I pin stuff to Pinterest from GW all the time. This would not make it easier for people to find GW.

Maybe there is some confusion because those of you opposed to social media aren't using that social media??

What do you perceive would be different after this change/enhancement??

Right now I use my "pin it" button on my browser toolbar. After the change I would use the pin it button on my GW toolbar. It really isn't even that much easier, just cleaner and up to date. If someone shares something on Facebook it shows up on that individual's newsfeed and is seen by a pretty limited number of people. Yes, they can share it but it doesn't automatically go to all of Facebook or thousands of people. It's reasonable for you not to like that, but we have already been able link GW posts to Facebook for years. All that doesn't mean you have to like it or be enthusiastic but nothing at all has changed in the way the site "links" to social media. Nada.

Google searches completely obliterate any obscurity we may have thought we had. Social media is not encroaching on our privacy one iota more. Not even the slightest, tiniest bit. Any sense of privacy we might feel in our little GW community is a total illusion.

• kswl2
    11 years ago

"This would not make it easier for people to find GW."

People "finding" GW is not the problem. Obviously, it is people who haven't bothered to "find" it through affinity or interest but will have the posts and photos brought to their doors anyway.

• shannonaz
    11 years ago

Also, this would not automatically let your Facebook friends see your GW posts! It does not work that way unless you purposely link your GW account with your FB account. I am on most social media and I choose not to link any of them together.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Shannonaz--I understand your points. Yes, of course, everything we do and say here is out in the world for all to see. BUT! I wholeheartedly disagree with the statement that social media is not encroaching on our privacy. I have a FB page to connect with some old friends from school and family that live out of the area. I like being able to read about what my Dad's first cousins once removed kids are up to these days. I don't keep in touch with them regularly by any other means. I do not post very much on my own page; don't post any personal info like my bday or kids' names; and I don't put up photos of me or my children. But I routinely see my IRL friends post on FB about "checking in" to restaurants and other public places with me and post that info. It highly irritates me that people can see which day and the specific time that I had Mexican food at the local joint because SOMEONE else posted it socially WITHOUT my knowledge or permission. My privacy is violated by social media. Well, one could make the argrument that its violated by my friends, but you get the point. That's just one example. I'll stop now because I need to get the family fed and can feel my blood pressure rise.

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

Thanks for the update Tamara. I'm glad to hear it won't be added at this time.

I think we all understand that this site isn't private, however one wrong tap on an iPhone and all privacy with Facebook friends and family goes out the window.

• lolauren
    11 years ago

breezy: you can block people's ability to check you in places... and/or require your permission to approve them. (I'm not trying to take away from your point... just helping :))

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Applause to Tamara and GW for listening to us.

However, enough with the apologetics. Yes I know other GW members steal our images without our permission to post on Pinterest or whatnot. But to argue that a bar wouldn't increase such intrusion is absurd. That's what it's there for. That's why sites add it. Make something easier and it happens more frequently.

As bee's post makes clear, it's become a full time job to keep up with privacy settings and new features that allow our privacy to be continuously violated. Enough.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Marcolo, do you mean me?

• theultimatebikerchic
    11 years ago

Amen to the NOs.

• seniorgal_gw
    11 years ago

I have chosen not to take part in Facebook, etc. Have enjoyed Garden Web just as it is. Please don't change it. I see no reason to invite the whole world to read my comments.

• shannonaz
    11 years ago

I am pretty sure Marcolo is talking about me :) Hopefully there will some day be a way to not see the posts of certain users (I am on message boards that have this option) and Marcolo won't have to be annoyed by my posts any more. (I feel like many things I post get a an unpleasant and negative response from him)

I'm not an apologetic I was just pointing out the facts. The share bar or whatever only makes it easier for those of us on GW (you may have even needed to be signed on the see the bar?? I don't know that for sure) to share. It would NOT make it even the slightest bit easier for those outside GW or on social media to share. That is a fact.

If you don't want pictures of your home easily shared on Facebook or Pinterest, you cannot post them on Gardenweb, that's all. I love looking at all the pictures and I enjoyed posting mine 7 years ago. But those are the facts.

Since I don't link Facebook to anything simply clicking "share to Facebook" on my phone is not enough to post something to my Facebook. I have to then enter my user name and password. I guess that is what is making me less worried. I use social media on my phone constantly and accidentally posting something to Facebook has never happened....I think it is an issue if you link SOME stuff because the connection is set up. In that case I can certainly understand being stressed about the ability to accidentally post your Gardenweb posts to Facebook etc. I would be mortified to have my Facebook friends see my GW posts but since it isn't something that can happen accidentally at this time, I am not worried at all. As things change I will reassess...(edit my Photobucket etc.)

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I don't like this idea at all either. It's not just that I don't want pictures passed on to pinterest, but it seems that those websites that cater to FB and Pinterest do it to the exclusion of those who aren't members. If I like something, I DO NOT want it to show up on my FB page. I don't friend everyone I know, but I still don't want everyone on FB knowing the websites I visit every day.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

"I do NOT want my images propagated to the planet. "

I agree. I don't do FB. don't do twitter.

glad it's not happening here. I would have stopped posting pics if it did.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Thanks Tamara

• jannie
    11 years ago

No thanks!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Just because I don't use them, doesn't mean I don't understand them. I have all the capabilities just like everyone else, and I make certain to understand what's offered simply to block high school idiots I moved away from in the first place (for example).

I'm now interested to hear that if you link you're contacts (WHY!?!) they're all over the place. Another "it's only private if YOU don't share it" thing.

• peegee
    11 years ago

I am amazed at how many other GWers are also not involved in social networking. My adult daughter and I are both professionals in separate professions and chose to avoid social networking for a multitude of reasons, including the importance to us of keeping clients etc. removed from our personal lives, along with little faith that what may be posted privately now will always remain that way. Clearly the rug of rules that may seem comfortably woven in place can at any time be yanked from under.

I believe GW appeals to a diverse but like minded set that seek out/stumble into GW and stay due to the different type of social and informational connection IT provides - like falling down the well and discovering a new land, or joining a secret club or society - some above refer to GW as a treasure; a treasure is something valuable and special - something you may not want to share even....I imagine part of the distress that the idea of FB linkage creates for some people, including myself, is that whether fears are real or perceived, pointing highway signs and creating easy access usually does ruin what is special....think new turnpike exits to quaint towns, or bigger roads and hotels in formerly remote and pristine parks. Precisely why GW *IS* treasured by so many is reason enough that it should not be recklessly or greedily manipulated as it will likely cease to maintain it's attraction and specialness.
    Thank you Tamara for this reprieve - hopefully it will not be temporary.

This post was edited by peegee on Sat, Dec 8, 12 at 15:44

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I completely overlooked this thread until just now. It sounded uninteresting. Look what I was missing!!!

I use Facebook, but prudently. I have friends who click on everything and look like idiots. I'm careful about who I "friend" and require permission for someone to tag me. I get theirs as well. I carefully consider what I post, since it reaches old friends as well as church people. Yowzer!

As careful as I am with FB, I say NO EFFING WAY do I want somebody--anybody--to just share whatever strikes them in the Newsfeed, reaching all their low-life FB friends. C'mon, we all have a few of those. ;-)

I realize that whatever you post on the internet can be found if one is determined enough. Just Google something kitchen-ish and guess what all the hits are? However, there is a difference between a search for something and having it just delivered into your lap without effort.

I'm not a Luddite or conspiracy theorist. I love tech. I just think it's a bad idea.

And Breezy, totally agree with you about the person making juvenile comments.

• ghostlyvision
    11 years ago

Thanks, Tamara.

• NowImTexan
    11 years ago

For years, I've had much enjoyment from seeing others achieve their dreams in their new kitchens. I recently had a fire destroy my home and have been in the process of rebuilding for the last 14 months. I was prompted to FINALLY register here on GW so that I could respond to this thread and relay my experience.

Posting on facebook of photos of the progress of my construction prompted some unwelcome visitors to my new home. They knew the house was empty and decided that any tools belonging to the contractors and anything else not nailed down would be better suited in their possession. All my appliances, cabinets, and light fixtures disappeared in a matter of hours. There have also been several occurrences of trespassers coming to my property and helping themselves to a swim in my pool or a party in my poolhouse because they know the house is unoccupied. This has all started only days after posting a pic on facebook.

So I would implore all here not to share anything you don't want the ENTIRE world to know about on facebook. Even if they are not linked to you as your personal friends, friends of friends of friends are able to see your stuff and where you live and act on it...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Thanks for responding and listening, Tamara. It's wonderful to know that the folks who operate this place listen to the wants and needs of the participants. Much appreciated!

• Buehl
    11 years ago

I'm in "the business" (IT) and agree that anything that's posted here or anywhere on the internet - or even emailed - is not "secure". Businesses do their best, but the hackers out there are usually several steps ahead.

However, that does not mean you should make it easy for them! It's like locking your car - if someone really wants your car, locking it, using alarm systems, etc. won't stop them - but it will probably stop a "casual" thief b/c they'd rather find an easier car to steal.

As to FB, Twitter, etc. I do have a FB account - more to keep track of what my kids are doing and what's being posted out here (as best I can), but I also have the max security, don't use a picture of myself, etc. Social Media in general has become a 3-ring circus - but let's not join the circus! If it's not as easy to "share", etc., maybe they'll go somewhere else. :-)

BTW...I also think it's ridiculous the stuff my friends post...I don't care what your dinner looks like (well maybe that would be of interest on the Cooking Forum!) or that you're at the grocery store shopping or sitting in traffic (why are they posting if they're driving???), etc. TMI!

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource