Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
Testing social media share bar

Posted by gwTamara (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 12:27

Hi everyone,

We are currently testing a social media share bar that will allow you to share posts to your favorite social media sites as well as sharing it via email. You will find it at the beginning of all threads and also at the top of the main forum page.

This is only being tested on this forum, so I would appreciate any feedback that you might have. If you are seeing any problems or having issues using the bar, post to this thread. Please indicate what browser and version you are using as well -- this is very helpful!

Any questions, please let me know.

Best,

Tamara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Testing social media share bar

I tested email.. sent and received.. Why is there a import contacts link for gmail and yahoo. what is the functionality there.. Why would I import my contacts to gardenweb. Also looks like I do not need to be logged in to share.

o

I tested Pinterest.

As the original poster of a thread, is there a way to opt out of social media? I would prefer that my photos remain here on GW and not be propagated to Facebook, Pinterest, Google plus, etc. I know that anyone can steal a photo from just about anywhere online so perhaps I'm tilting at windmills, but the ability to keep some photos private on GardenWeb would be appreciated.

o

HATE the idea! HATE.

o

I HATE it as well.

I do NOT want my images propagated to the planet.

I do NOT want the great unwashed to come barging into GW in response to a tweet announcing to us the new communication styles, community norms, and rules that THEY will impose on US because none of them bothered to learn about the forum before posting in it.

I am not on FB or any other social media BS and I do not want to have my contributions sent through them without my permission.

o

Not a fan of this myself.

o

I think we'd talked about being able to "like" a post INTERNALLY, not to all GW members and their friends and their friends of friends.

I suppose there's nothing to stop anyone coming to this forum and grabbing our pictures or text already. But why help them?!

o

Agree with the above. While I appreciate being up with the newest internet social connectivity, I'm finding things get more convoluted the more sites the same stuff is posted on. For example, if I'm on Pinterest, I like pinning something on there, but I see no need to share it with a whole different group of people on Facebook or Twitter. I like GW because it is a home away from all the other craziness of faceless interactions. KISS... Keep It Simple, Stu--- I mean... Tamara. :)

o

Agree with everyone else.

EDIT It definitely makes me feel leery of posting pics here in future.

This post was edited by writersblock on Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 15:36

o

I agree with everyone above.....don't want posts floating/tagged/pinned all over in the cyber world unless someone specifically 'searches' for it.......

I choose not to participate in most of those already - don't need to mess up a good thing here by blasting it all over the place. :( Can we keep a little bit of cyber-privacy/anonymity and not connect everything???

This post was edited by Autumn.4 on Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 15:46

o

I agree with the above. No one I know has seen my kitchen pics and won't see it until it's done and I want them to. It's fun that this is one place I can share, etc. somewhat anonymously. Obviously GW isn't private but having someone share my whole discussion on Facebook is REALLY PUBLIC and not something I want.

o

Put me down as another HATER.

o

I too like to keep everything separate and simple. It gives me the illusion that I have some control over my social media. Facebook is only to keep in touch with my nieces and nephews, GW is only for fellow TKO and Hot Topic political junkies and I don't share my e-mail. Please NO.

o

Not a fan

o

Please don't do this!

o

I just thought I'd point out something else. I know that in at least one of the gardening forums I read here, a sizable bunch of folks left and started a forum on facebook when GW was having so many performance problems. Those folks aren't coming back no matter what you do, and for sure the ones that stayed here stayed because we did not want our posting to be on facebook et al.

o

Another very strong no.

o

No, also.

It would take up way too much real estate on a forum that's already space-challenged. I'd recommend putting your efforts into something like incorporating tinymce (WYSIWYG) before I'd add the social media.

o

Another HATER here! HATE. HATE. HATE.

I've said it before. One of the reasons I like (well, love) GW is because it is visually simple. No little flags, or birdie symbols, or little boxes everywhere to "share". I do NOT like all those little boxes on top of your OP. Seeing those on every post and on every page will be a huge turn off for this long-time user. Yes, I was here in Spike's days.

I also feel the same about the privacy, sharing, barging in issues brought up by others before me.

Please, please, please do NOT mess with a good thing!

o

Not a fan. Count me in with the haters as well.

Please spend your time improving the Search function instead.

Or enabling multiple image uploads in the same post.

Or just fire the research monkeys and get rid of some of the ads that are paying their salaries.

Don't make something complicated that has based it's success on being simple. That's tinkering with the wrong thing.

o

Tamara,

This is awful news, at least, in my opinion.

And, I think it's the death knell for an unusual, and much-treasured, site as it is now.

Plus as soon as a site starts with all this linkiness to social media it seems to load much more slowly due to all the underlying code stuff that is necessary. It's already slowed down a good deal when people use the GW photo linkage - to further slow it will make it much less inviting.

Like others, I would be reluctant to ever post any personally-generated image because anybody can start sending it out far and wide with a click. One of the greatest existing strengths of the KF is the willingness of users to post pictures of their whole kitchens, or even just vignettes showing important details. Perfect strangers can ask what is essentially a crowd-sourced question and get fast, generous, on-point pics showing otherwise private spaces. I've seen the undersides of people's sink drains, seen inside their garage cans, and seen where they keep their sterling flatware in response to specific queries. No one in their right mind would post that kind of in-depth detail once it becomes so easily -and widely - personally identifiable.

I find the broad category of social networking options to result in (hyper)quantity vs. quality of info or data.

I have no social media accounts (from choice, I've looked at the poss. and decided I wasn't interested). So I realize that makes me an odd duck. But the idea that others have accounts and might repost my commentary (or much worse) my images is a real turn-off.

Sorry to be so unenthusiastic, but as you can see almost everyone else of the same mind, as well. Many of us have been active here for more than a decade. (I've had several user names, once having to retire one having been sent to Disney by Spike.)

While simple longevity can result in staleness, in it also resides the shared core of an evolved, longstanding and stable community.

If this goes forward, and remains permanent, I would re-think my participation on this site entirely. I think I might continue to read for awhile, but wouldn't post anything going forward.

If I was advising one of my business clients about a significant proposed website change I would urge a great deal of caution if as many, nearly unanimous, long-time users were so dismayed.

I call particular attention to Writersblock's comment above regarding migration from this site entirely to Facebook of a whole chunk of (former) GW participants. That has already happened on two other (non-GW) sites I used to participate on. Why would you want to facilitate that vampirization of your existing base of users?

Could you be sure that enough new clicks generated by the social media linkage would offset the ones who left permanently to go to another site (such as FB itself)? Or can you be confident that you can withstand the loss of the free content now provided by users who either decline to add it in the future, or elect to leave the community in response to the increased exposure to the downsides of social media linkage?

Maybe you might wish to rethink this plan?

Liriodendron

o

Please, no. For all the same reasons already stated.

o

Hate to say it, but I think this was already a done deal before Tamara posted this. Our comments won't change anything.

o

I ditto all the haters. Especially for the reasons so well-stated by Liriodendron.

o

I am also among the naysayers here. One of the most serious problems that has not yet been listed is that the social media sites make changes to their sites that will exert control over both what is posted and how it is posted. For instance, about a year or so ago, FB gave the OPTION to change to their new Timeline. Now, there is no choice, FB changed everyone's pages to the Timeline whether the change was wanted or not. Please also consider that as little privacy as there is when posting online, with FB there is even less, well, actually none.

This is a very bad idea. While I understand that many if not most sites are linking to FB et al that does not mean that GW must do so as well.

Terrible idea!

o

Another vote NO. Please, please donot make this available.

o

No!!! This would spell the end of my participation at GW after over ten years. I am not on board becoming part of GWs content-producing machine. I already quit that inane Facebook with its fake privacy.

Tell the corporate powers-that-be that this is like taxation without representation and I won't pay that tax.

o

Hate, Hate, Hate.

This:
I do NOT want my images propagated to the planet.

I do NOT want the great unwashed to come barging into GW in response to a tweet announcing to us the new communication styles, community norms, and rules that THEY will impose on US because none of them bothered to learn about the forum before posting in it.

o

Another no vote here. If I wanted my comments on FB or other social media sites, I will put it there and no one else please.

But others have also made the point that this is a done deal, comin from iVillage I am sure. But I hope that I am wrong.

o

Someone already said it, but I'm betting that it's already decided on, regardless of our feedback.

List me in the NO WAY column.

o

The beauty of this site is that it is simple, I know the web address, and I come to it purposefully. I'm interested in hearing about and seeing peoples kitchens and learning from their experiences.

I do use FB to stay connected with family and friends. However, I'm very selective about what I post and the pictures I upload. Can't say that alot of people are and I am amazed at what people "share", either intentionally or unintentionally.

o

I'm with the others. HATE the idea as it conflicts with what I like about this forum.

o

• Posted by lalitha Z8B/ Sunset15 CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 23:09

The SPAM-A-LOT strategy is not appropriate for this forum.. What we communicate in this community is only for the members of this community. We are a self selected group of people who come here for a very very specific and niche purpose.. In the 10+ years that I have been here I haven't felt the need to share something from here more than a handful of times. If needed, I will take the effort to do so without any personally identifying information. This is a terrible and inappropriate idea for this forum.. I have professional experience in web communities and have taught college level courses on the topic... You are poisoning the well!

This post was edited by lalitha on Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 1:44

o

No, no, no. Hate, too.

o

Ditto all of the above.

o

Everything said above....NO!

o

I agree with the overwhelming majority and say NO! If this goes through, I will stop posting on any GW forum.

o

NO here also. I don't do Facebook, I don't do Pinterest, or anything like that. I would probably opt out of GW if it became like all the rest of those sites.

o

NO for all of the reasons already stated. Please don't taint something that works so well for so many of us. I do FB but only have 6 friends...family only. I don't want my posts spread far and wide unless I choose to do so. c

o

Please do not do this. Do not combine or link our forums with Facebook or any of the social media sites.
I agree with the others who say this is a done deal and nothing we say will make a bit of difference. Seems I remember on several of the forums I frequent, GW asked for our feedback on some proposed changes....I never saw one response that said "OH YES LETS PUT EVERYTHING ON FACEBOOK". Why ask our opinion if you are just gonna do it anyway?
I will miss the people, this website and the forums that have added so much to my life.
Sad day. sigh

o

Dittos on all the above. I have voiced my opinion on the GW quilting forum about this, and have asked how it works with no reply. From the first notice about this subject I have stopped posting photos of my projects but I have still read and added posts. I might have to just become a lurker and finally might even bail out completely. I have really enjoyed this site but I'm not a part of FB and never intend to be, and if GW continues to ignore our protests over this I hope I and all who feel the same will be able to find another site to meet our needs.

o

I am so sad that this forum will be ruined by these changes. It will permanently change the culture in a negative way.

Most will leave. Who will be here? No one will post anything meaningful or with photos.

o

I'm with the rest...please don't...Hate it! Just terrible.

o

No, no, no. Please.

o

No. A definite no. Sad if this changes everything. I value GW as it is. Please leave it alone.

o

I am really an disappointed in this development. I was a lurker for a long time before I joined. I lurked because I wasn't ready to trust the community, to ask questions publicly, to share ideas with the world.
That this community engenders trust and feels safe, small, and secure is one of its greatest assets. This feeling is what enables people to learn and to grow here. If you allow people to blast private conversations, and I say private because we all opted to join and agreed to the terms of service, with the world at large, you are violating our trust, and in essence destroying what makes this forum a "community".

o

Another emphatic no here. I got OFF facebook r/t all the surveillance garbage. This little forum is a treasure that will be irretrievably ruined if this move is made. It's like internet Mayberry and so few things are anymore. How sad this will be. Coming here is like a safe haven populated overwhelming with nice, friendly people.

It's either about money or control or both. It certainly isn't about what the users want.

o

Aghast at the idea here.

In addition to sharing the insides of their private homes, people have anonymously posted things about their contractors (who in my case is a friend of a friend on FB), their mothers in law, their DH's, etc. etc. etc. The problems that could be created for people personally by having these decades worth of posts available and identifiable to anybody who was curious (or malicious) could be substantial and maybe devastating to certain relationships.

Please don't do this.

o

ABSOLUTELY NO. Not on Facebook, or Pinterest, or ANY social media for ALL the above reasons, and do not wish to be ther by default, either.

Sorry, I like the simple GW.

Nancy

o

Also another NO vote. I don't use FB or Pinterest, FB espeically because I do not agree with their policies, and my Twitter account is a work-related one, so I don't think my colleagues want to see my kitchen.

o

That will be the ruin of this free exchange of ideas.

I don't want to be across the universe, nor do I want the ideas of the whole wide world diluting this forum.

o

Please please No.

o

I think it's a terrible idea too. Please don't do it.

o

NO,NO,NO......Why alienate all the members who hate the idea...that would be the end of a great web site as far as I'm concerned...time to move on.

o

Absolutely NOT!!!

o

Google does more than it's own job to list GW posts when running a search. We have had many new posters due to easy search results. I know you want this to expand exposure to GW. But anyone can already copy anything on here, and without recognition. I see no sense in adding more to the pot. I quit posting personal info a long time ago due to the Google searches, far too easy to read about my life. Am not part of any social network, which means checking what was garnered from GW would be an issue.

I'd say I was too old to be part of social media, but my background is IT from the beginning of refrigerator size computers and networking. Obviously age has little to do with all the responses.

Why does GW see this as a positive other than sharing with the world that we exist. It is understood that you want to grow, but isn't there another way.....

o

Another huge NO from here. I don't need every friend I have on Facebook being able to access details of how much we spent on cabinets, the misery we went through with contractor or that we're struggling to find funds to finish the bathroom.

I actually love Fecebook and use it a lot, probably because I live so far from friends and family and it's a great way of keeping in touch. However I think combining the two is a seriously horrible idea.

Another website I go on very occassionally tried doing this and lost a huge number of posters who had been using the site for YEARS. They took it away months ago, but the posters haven't come back.

Don't do it. It's unnecessary, annoying and a violation of privacy.

o

Nope

o

Hoboken: I think you had a Freudian slip with your 'fece(s)book' mis-spelling :)

Tamara: is it true that this is a done deal?

o

I have been at GW for thirteen years and hope and pray that you do not go ahead with this plan. You will lose a great amount of members.

o

Let's keep our forum as private as possible. There is enough "social" stuff out there already. We like the old ways!
Thank you.

o

Another vote for no!

o

One thing that distinguishes gardenweb from social media sites is the astounding generosity of spirit of the members. I fear this will shrivel up and die because many of these kind people don't support the change, and for very valid reasons.

o

Say goodbye to people posting actual budget numbers or names of contractors and suppliers.

Also, I will now not be posting my finished kitchen here, even though I've been looking forward to doing that for several years. Do you think I want the kitchen that I have worked so damn hard to plan and create plastered all over Pinterest so it can earn money from my work while morons type laughably inane commentary below it? Not happening, sorry.

o

Please NO!

Besides the callous disregard for personal privacy, a mass exodus of contributors will leave only an archive of past posts/discussions for those of us in need of help to dig through.

NO! NO! NO!

o

I'm not sure how your privacy would be compromised if you don't use this? I mean if you don't click on the buttons then nothing to worry about. If somebody else shares a thread to their pinterest, facebook, etc then it will still be with you anonymous as your user name isn't linked to your Facebook accoun the way I understand it.

It will likely bring in new people though which I'm guessing iVillage wants. This can be a good and bad thing.

BTW interest and Facebook etc. will be similar probably to what you can find with a google search already. The difference is others have to do a search to find it.

Personally I could do without this feature. I would like the ability to like a post, but not have it linked to any social media.

o

Hate this idea, very sorry. I have to do enough Twitting and FBing for business purposes. GardenWeb is my respite.

o

Dear Tamara,
Thank you for the head's up about testing the share bar on this site. I might not have realized all its effects but for the comments and pleas of other users. My first question is whether there is even any option to remove this from this forum?

If so, then my strong recommmendation is that you remove it.

Having been a GW member since 2004, I have seen firsthand the damage done to earlier forums (such as the giant loss in one of the gardening forums when all the active posters left together and set up elsewhere, and again here on the kitchen forum when a former member copied huge amounts of content and moved it to another site that is still an active competitor to GW's kitchen forum). Please do not destroy this forum from the inside, as I firmly believe this share bar will do.

If it is already a done deal, then I add my loud caution to all other members. Not everyone realizes that their photos are geo-tagged, and so when you post pictures of your home, your children, or anything else, your location can be easily determined. (Remember the poor teenager on facebook who recently posted about her family's good fortune to have some new valuables at home, only to have them stolen before the next day's sunset.)

If the new share bar is producing a new revenue stream, perhaps you could ask an additional question about how members here might propose alternative revenue that would still preserve the truly special nature of this forum.

It is said that all good things must end, but I cannot tell you how personally painful it is to watch iVillage deliberately kill one of the most special spots on the net.

If possible, please reconsider. Thanks for listening.

o

No! This would ruin the forums for many of us.

o
Tamara, is this a done deal?

Well said, everyone.

Surely the accumulating comments are convincing if the deal is not irrevocable.

If it is, I am certain that I will come here less and less.

Oh, Bah, Humbug.

o

I am definitely in the minority here, but I like the idea of being able to share ideas. I would share with my DHand family members who are not part of GW. I also like Facebook.

o

If this is a done deal, I'm afraid that it will be the end of our GW as we know it.

Marcolo, (and others), remember Starpooh has the new Finished Kitchens Blog up and running. It will need to serve as a safe haven for our kitchen reveals.

I suppose if we don't want photos shared we just need to move the files around in our photobucket (or other) accounts so as to break the links and have the photos removed from GW.

This is sad. If it all goes down as I hope it won't, I will miss all of you

Bee

o

I'm another who ***HATES*** the idea!!!!!!!!! It will definitely chase me away from GW!!!

o

Please do NOT do this. I choose not to participate in FB and Twitter, etc. You will remove the best source of learning about kitchens and practical guidelines and help that is available online from people who actually speak from experience and are generous in sharing.

Please, please No!

o

NO! I hate this idea. Change should be for the better and this would not be an improvement. It would be such a terrible downgrade to this site. I have already been reluctant to post photos of my home and I certainly will NOT be posting any photos of the finished kitchen now.

Tamara, you asked if we had questions - my question: is this a done deal?

I would go elsewhere.

o

I would prefer not to have the social media bar. I don't use social media much--I've tried it and it simply has no great value for me. I suspect that there are many other posters here at GW who feel the same way.

I also suspect that the main reason GW wants to use social media is not to assist us, the current posters, but to gain a larger audience. One that may change the shape of the forums here, if it arrives in large enough numbers. We've got a good thing going; why would we want to change it?

And this is just a warning for those who post pictures here:

I'm on Pinterest. I can pin any picture you post here. I don't. But I could. I can also copy them and paste them into my own document. Again, I don't. But there is nothing to stop someone from doing so.

But the ability is there now, without the social media bar. If you are worried about privacy, you should not be posting pictures here.

o

I love Facebook and use it daily to keep in touch with people in my life with whom I don't get to see often.

I would never in a billion years want to cross pollinate, or cross post what I do here with what I do there. I have absolutely no need for my friends and family to be in on the angst about where I want my sink drain.....

Now, here's the reality.... I am a destination expert on the trip advisor forums, who have linked to Facebook. Really, it only impacts you if you opt in to allow that cross posting. I do not, as a matter of fact I use different email addresses, for each site so they don't accidentally (or I don't accidentally) link them up.

Tamara, please be sure that our members can opt out, or conversely need to opt in for cross post purposes.

o

I was taken aback yesterday when I saw the new task bar! Yes, please remove it, GW is a great refuge from that type of social media.

o

Hi Tamara. The cooking forum has some unenthusiastic (understatement of the year) reactions to this idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: cooking forum thread

o

you would get many "other-motivated" individuals coming onto this site. the value of this site would essentially evaporate overnite.

o

NO!!!!!!! NO!!! and NO!!!!!

I will be leaving GW -- or simply not posting if this occurs. I do no do Facebook, Twitter or any so-called Social Media ((it is not social to simply allow corporations to track your every move))

o

A member also since 2004, I experienced the MidAtlantic Gardening board's exodus when iVillage claimed copyrights to all posted photos. Several professional journalists and photographers said, "Hell no! That's my income!" and crusied. I'm still active on both old and new boards, and our twice annual get togethers are very popular. Too bad iVillage chose not to listen then, too. Traffic on that board went from one of the most active (iVillage stats) tand ground to a horrifying halt.

II'm a nay-sayer. I don't social media, although I've had accounts on MySpace and Facebook for an 8 year old niece since 2006 and 8.

I don't want to deal with that mentality. I am willing to share with this somewhat isolated part of the world, but not on the blithering sites that insist that the world "connect". There are some people I wouldn't sit next to on a bus; why would I want to share with them? I'm not into instant intimacy.

If you could share within the membership, that would be fantastic. Just not clicking the buttons (is just stupid) doesn't work, given there are (sorry guys: nitwits) people who click/share every effing thing. That's still a link.

In this thread there is one who isn't opposed, (yet doesn't care) who clearly stated her family can see her stuff via Facebook.

I am hoping, if you're really just testing this here (Quilting forum!?!) you'll let a board opt out. Obviously this isn't a welcome "addition".

Please. God no.

P.S. I forgot to say that if you're concerned about listing your contractor's name here, folks, you're a day late and a dollar short. It's ONLINE ALREADY. Any search/google search will turn up that thread. Take a lesson that from what is preached to kids: If you don't want it seen online, do not post personal information. If you want it a secret: don't tell. Think, people. Don't be stupid and take a breath. You get caught in the moment and must learn to live with the consequences. THINK This sharing thing doesn't make diddly squat bit of difference if you've already posted it. Sorry. This sends me off with its stupidity. I've been online since '86 (no, that's not a typo) and cannot tell you how dumb it is to think anything online is a secret.

This post was edited by CEFreeman on Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 9:56

o

I use FB, Twitter, and LinedIn routinely for many purposes. I have no desire at all to share anything from this site on a regular basis. The information here is fantastic and very specialized. The average person has no desire to see most of it, but to us on the forum the multitude of details discussed really matter. My friends would simply not understand most of what goes on here without having first decided to seek out that information or spending some time on the forum.

The very few threads I felt a friend would need to see, and I don't think any were from this specific forum, I manually sent an email link. In this case it was a friend building a home, and the one thread I specifically remember was about things to include in a new build, and things to check at final walk through. General stuff.

This is the only place I have found anywhere that people are generous enough to share their personal experience, pretty anonymously, and intimate photos of their private spaces to help others in need of advice.

I found this place through google searches. Whatever I was looking for related to appliances or the bath we were remodeling, this site had the most helpful information. Now I post mostly in kitchens for my current project. Opening up the flood gates for people not looking for this specific information will cause issues. The sense of community here is very strong. There is much less negativity here than other places I post. Bringing in masses of people not invested in the content will significantly change that.

I use most of these social media sites on a daily basis. Please don't do this, it is not in the best interest of the forum. Just like professional subject forums, when exposure to those without an interest in the topic at hand, and without any understanding of what they are reading (like regarding privacy, confidentiality of information, or context), occurs, the candid replies and details go away. And without those, this site will die.

o

No, please no.

o

Un-like, Dislike the idea completely.

For all the reasons posted.

o

Another vote for NO social media linking. It's not necessary. If I really want to share a thread with someone, I can email a link.

o

Williamsem makes several good points:
o The sense of community here is very strong.
o There is much less negativity here than other places.
o Bringing in masses of people not invested in the content will significantly change that.

I've been reading here for almost a decade, and been posting here since for at least 7 years. I originally came here for the helpful, useful, non-commercial information to help with a kitchen remodel, Ive stayed and contributed long after the project was finished to give back to the community.

I'll likely stay a short while and lurk but if the tone of the forum changes as I expect it will and if an exodus of the usual thoughtful caring members begins, and they are replaced by the snarky, snipey, flame-prone nutjobs that are so common in the rest of the interwebs, I'm gone.

To put it in gardening terms (`cause you know: GardenWeb) you have a delicate flower here and what you are proposing will likely bury it beneath a truckload of manure.

o

I did not think this would ever happen here. What is the point of asking us if it is a done deal? (which it appears to be). If the people who control this actually care about what we, the GW community think, than I add my huge NO THANK YOU to the vote.

o

Ahem. Is it just me, or is the social media bar gone already?

If so, that would be pretty d*mn impressive.

o

No no and no.

o

I agree with all the haters. Please NO!

o

not just you marcolo....

And I was just going in to my Photobucket to start organizing it, which in turn would break all my links. But I thought I'd check in to see if our voices were heard.

A victory for GW members?

o

I'm a web developer and I've worked on public websites before. People hate change, and they get very overworked and upset any time you do anything. But then they get used to it. Some leave, but you get new users, too. The fact is, GardenWeb looks like it is stuck in the 90's, and it could use some reworking.

As far as the social media sharing bar (which I did not get a chance to see), they're practically on every website and blog out there. They're just an easier way of doing what's already really easy. I can already use my pinterest browser button to pin someone's pretty kitchen picture on GardenWeb as inspiration for my future remodel. I can already copy the URL to a GardenWeb post and paste it into a Facebook status update if I wanted (though I don't really see any reason I would). Any privacy you think you have here is an illusion. You can still remain pretty much anonymous if you don't share with your own social network, anyway.

o

What's wrong with leaving something alone that isn't broken?

How does one un-geo whatever their pics?

o

Its gone! Never coming back?

Not all change is good... Remember how the customer won against Netflix when they changed for the worse???? I wonder if Netflix ever recovered from the members they lost that will never return.

o

HATE IT.

Interesting that so many of us here have decided not to participate or to keep a low profile in social media.

o

Wow, I was just going to post to observe that the bar is gone, but I refreshed to see if it was truly gone! (And now I see that others have noted its disappearance.) Yay!!!!

o

There is a difference between photos/info being publicly available if it is sought out vs being actively distributed by others. I know it's a small distinction, but it matters.

o

I had thought I would search for my own threads and edit all the posts that contained any kind of personal information, but it seems that 'edit this post' doesn't work on the old posts. If anyone else can figure out how to do it, let me - all of us - know.

I would then save all my posts/threads that have pictures using the instructions in the 'please keep on page 1' post, and make all those pictures private on photobucket so they wouldn't appear in the posts online, there would be a gigantic question mark.

I have already followed the instructions on facecrooks.com that show how to achieve maximum privacy and to opt out of all the automatic changes they have made without telling us.

Then I'd rejoin with a totally different user name. I'd only use google search to search for specific topics, I wouldn't browse the board.

Don't know if this would be enough but I'm off to do what I can right now.

PLEASE let us know if there is a way to edit all posts, even our older ones - yes, I know they are already 'out there' but hopefully this would make them harder to find?

tia - ur @11 gr8, btw

o

This is a bit away from the original post but in response to a lot of statements made regarding privacy, be aware that many of you have posted enough personal information that if so desired your name, address, etc could be found without too much work. I believe that this may be the case for myself as well as I have become much more lax over the past 3 years in info that I post because of the (unfortunately false) sense of security gained by this community.

As well many searches lead to GW and friends and family may stumble upon your posts without links on FB. Just last week I was googling for Roman Shades and the 2nd pic that came up was a blog created by a girl I went to HS with, so not GW but still weird stuff happens.

I strongly believe that if you have something that you do not want to share with the world then you have little business posting it on an open online forum, or at least be realistic that everyone, everyone, everyone can see it and can possibly connect your identity as well.

o
RE::Testing social media share bar

I would agree, athomeinva... copy and pasting a url to FB is very easy. And having the "pin it" button on my bookmarks bar makes posting a pic to pinterest easy even without the media bar on GW. I just didn't like the encouragement to share what's on GW with everyone else. Not that it couldn't be easily done a billion different ways. Plus it looked cluttered and unnecessary. Something else to load. To potentially cause issues in loading. Just not needed. Savvy internet people know how to share without the little button. And most of us choose not to. But no place on the 'net is private and secure. You got that right exactly and it's worth a reminder!

o

Yeah, well, how would you like me to post your mortgage balance in this thread? Since you've already posted enough to reveal your identity, and your mortgage information is public record, why not? And maybe tweet it out with your name attached?

Or maybe there is actually a difference between having information technically available to someone who really digs for it, versus collecting all information about every part of a person's life and unexpectedly displaying it in one place.

I am sick of Web-based and social media businesses talking out of both sides of their mouth. If everyone truly withheld all personal information of every sort from online businesses, they would all collapse by end of day today. They constantly bait and switch, encouraging interaction and then turning around and changing the rules long after the fact--sometimes years after the fact--and telling you too bad, you "should've known."

I find most social media businesses ethically repulsive. I want no part of them.

o

I've been saying for a long time that something exactly like this is needed for gardenweb to keep up with the competition. Thank you for doing this.

o

NO!!!!! If I wanted to post something to Facebook< I'd just go there directly.

We would lose what makes this forum nice.

o

hollysprings put it well. At least give an opt-out if you force it in.

New does NOT equal better.

Put more simply:
NO!

o

Oceangirl67--I don't think there is one person here who enjoys your trolling or posting rude-ish comments to people as you have been doing for so long. I'm surprised no one has called you out on your behavior in the past.

You're free, of course, to offer your opinions, but only seem to do so when it causes the most ire in posts where your well-positioned dissension causes the most perceived disruption.

This post was edited by breezygirl on Sat, Dec 8, 12 at 17:02

o

I am not for the bar, I was only stating that people should be careful with what they post here no matter if the bar is here or not. You, Marcolo, are careful. And you are right, I do not want my name directly connected even if someone could search and find it and I would absolutely not use any feature of the bar, ever.

o

What makes this forum unique is the confidentiality and the ability to post and share with friends. I want it to stay that way. Please keep the forum the way it's been. I value the forum because of the way it's been run and I'd like to continue to value it. I would be reluctant to post my feelings or advice on any site that is contemplating going viral.

o

I don't post at GW much any more, but this will push me out the door.

No thanks!

o

I second breezygirl - definitely have noticed the very same thing with that poster.

o

I don't believe it's really gone. It will be back in some other form. As others have said it so well:

I have no social media accounts (from choice, I've looked at the poss. and decided I wasn't interested). So I realize that makes me an odd duck. But the idea that others have accounts and might repost my commentary (or much worse) my images is a real turn-off.

NO! cynic, how did you make that a big red NO?

Another no vote here. If I wanted my comments on FB or other social media sites, I will put it there and no one else please.

NO! I don't do Facebook, I don't do Pinterest, or anything like that. I would not even visit GW if it became like all the rest of those sites.

ritaweeda, please point me to the quilting forum!

I don't post at GW much any more, but this will push me out the door. But first, a quick trip to photobucket to move photos around.

o

No! Hope that GW heard the voice of the masses!

o

No! Glad GW has heard the voice of the masses!

o

drbeanie, take a breath. You're a day late .. and did I mention a dollar short? If someone came across your pics and pinned or linked, or even saved, they just out there.

I would enjoy the ability to pin a post under my user name or something. The clip thing is fine, but as someone mentioned, if the photo is taken down, it's no longer in that clip.

I am fascinated by the overwhelming nos.

Lov_mkitchen, it's basic html (web design code). I agree this has the look of the 90s, but I also don't like boards where it's tough to see a whole thread on one page. Or there is so much crap in and around the text box it's hard t figure out where the Send button is.

This isn't the best -- by far. It is still a primitive board. But it does work and serves the members well. Let's start with eliminating the Internal Error thing before we jump 2 decades.

o

If this happens I will not be participating and I do a lot of helping on the Computer Help forum, I am pretty sure a lot of the other helpers there feel the same way.
That will be very unfortunate, we love to help those that need help but I will not, NEVER, be connected in any way to Facebook and other forms of social media.

This is a HUGE MISTAKE and will cause the loss of a multitude of members that have been here with GW as LOYAL friends. PLEASE don't do this if you do actually care about what WE think.

NO NO NO NO NO!!!

o

Nooooooo!

o

Please keep what is posted on GW staying on GW. If I want something posted on FB, I will post it on FB!

o
RE::: Testing social media share bar

I will say I LOVE Facebook... for what FB is. A place for me to talk to my friends (not strangers) and share stuff about my life and my family. If a post on here were relevant to that, I could copy the url and share it as a link. But mainly, I just post funny, sarcastic, goofy things that my friends and I can laugh at.

I love Twitter, as a way to hear from my favorite talk radio personalities, keep up on the local high school football scores and have some instant news links. I don't see GW being a part of that.

I love Pinterest. I go there when I'm looking for visual inspiration, not technical layout or appliance advice. That's my HGTV in picture form. Plus I find good recipes there. Quick, easy, pretty.

I love GW when I want to get into the nitty gritty of remodeling talk. John Bridge gets too technical for me for tile. Plumbing forums are in a foreign language to me. This is just the right mix of quality information, fun banter and knowledgeable lay-people with a few experts thrown in for good measure. When someone says, "What gray is not too gray but just gray enough?" I get what they are asking. My FB friends would say, "What the heck are you talking about?"

There is a place for all of them. Making it too easy to mix them all up will confuse the masses. Too many buttons. No need.

I know I've said my peace a few times, but I wanted to come to the defense of social media, which is here to stay and can be used with very positive results. Not sure why I felt the need. LOL... those who hate FB will not be persuaded, I know. I actually see GW as kind of a cross between all of those. Pretty pictures, sharing with "friends", joking, helping, sometimes even sharing news-worthy articles. But my FB friends wouldn't know what a GW even was. They are not TKO'd in the slightest.

o

So, are we going to find out-for sure-whether or not this idea has been tossed out? Tamara?

o

No. If that happens, I am through. Gone, finished, through.
The world is too distracting already, and privacy aside, part of the beauty of the GW forums is that they function like genuine conversations among self-selected people. The advice is good because it is thoughtful, unlike most social media, which is tossed at you from a moving train.

Already, spammers are creeping in regularly, and it's only because we know each other and know our norms and vocabularies that we can spot them and root them out.

Finally, here are some examples of antiquated things:

The Parthenon
Venice
an 18th century table
a hand-knotted pure wool naturally dyed rug
Maggie Smith

Not everything needs to be made as new as everything else.

o

CEFreeman - I was afraid of that. Oh well.

o

"No" vote from me!

o

If this plan is realized I will have to change the gallery locations of all my photos so the links to them will be broken.
I DO NOT WANT PHOTOS OF MY HOME ON FACEBOOK.

Perhaps if everyone changes the online location of their photos (by renaming them, changing the gallery locations, etc.) and thereby REMOVES THE CONTENT, GW will rethink this decision. Because when content goes, so do advertisers...

o

Well, it seems like a no vote from me is unnecessary, but that is what it would have been. I used to be on Facebook and dropped it. I guess I'm an old fogey, but I just don't "get it." It's not social networking--because these boards are a form of social networking. It's the fact that I'm a private person and don't want to engage everyone in my life publicly. I want to control what I say to whom and when. I used Facebook so infrequently that it seemed to have its own private life that had nothing to do with me.

The other things I hate about social media task bars (based on experience with other sites; the bar didn't stay up here long enough for me to notice) are the fact that they slow down site functionality because they can be slow to load and also I find that often the back button on my browser no longer works right--I end up having to use the drop down on the back button or I get hung up on something related to Facebook. I've never seen this issue brought up, so maybe it's just me, but it's super irritating.

o

Another huge no. This is one of the now rare places where one can ask a question, and have patient, knowledgeable people THINK, do research and post helpful information. Unlike the way most of the "real" world is today, where most people are walking around with their eyes glued to an electronic device, oblivious to their immediate surroundings.
I feel even more attached to this forum now that it is revealed how many of us are not on the social media bandwagon (in the real world, I feel like the only one).
But I would fade away if the FB linking does become permanent.

o

I easily adapt to change in general.

However, I don't adapt to loosing control over my information. I keep limited exposure on FB - I don't rant, I don't air dirty laundry and I don't keep posts up for long. I'm also very careful to keep work-related contacts only on LinkedIn. As for Twitter - if I'm not having a discussion of some kind, I don't give a shedoodle about random stupid thoughts.

So if I happen to post a moronic statement on GW, I don't need to see that sent anywhere. GWers were very helpful when we were under construction, and I felt comfortable asking what I thought might be silly questions.

However, I'm guessing you'll do what you want.

I'll remove my photos from photobucket, close out of this site and go on to something else.

You'll find someone new to join and maybe, just maybe, they will respond to some of your advertising.

o

I third what Breezy said... (I mentioned something on another thread yesterday.) I can't tell if it's just some immature person who thinks it's fun or is someone on this board with a second username. Either way, it's getting old.

o

Absolutely, positively NO NO NO

o

Hi folks,

As I said in my original post, we wanted to TEST this functionality. We do appreciate your thoughts and input and we always take them into consideration when making decisions that affect our site. As some of you have noticed, we have removed the sharebar from the site and won't be launching it at this time.

I think that what has been most interesting about this discussion is the wide range of perception about the Internet in general. While this forum may feel like your own bubble, it is, in fact, a very open, public place. What you post here is viewed by far more people than anything that might be shared to a Facebook page. It never hurts to be reminded that everyone should post with care and caution and that once you post, your words and pictures may be forever recorded. I also think that there are a lot of misconceptions about how social media works and exactly what it means to 'share' posts. I hope that this discussion will also lead to further clarifications and a better understanding.

We are continuing to work on new enhancements and improvements to the site. As you know, we recently launched the ability to edit your posts and we are continuing to work on things like an improved search engine and mobile applications. Please continue to offer your suggestions!

Best,

Tamara

This post was edited by gwTamara on Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 20:49

o

Just FYI, this would change absolutely nothing. I can post a link to Facebook quite easily and I pin stuff to Pinterest from GW all the time. This would not make it easier for people to find GW.

Maybe there is some confusion because those of you opposed to social media aren't using that social media??

What do you perceive would be different after this change/enhancement??

Right now I use my "pin it" button on my browser toolbar. After the change I would use the pin it button on my GW toolbar. It really isn't even that much easier, just cleaner and up to date. If someone shares something on Facebook it shows up on that individual's newsfeed and is seen by a pretty limited number of people. Yes, they can share it but it doesn't automatically go to all of Facebook or thousands of people. It's reasonable for you not to like that, but we have already been able link GW posts to Facebook for years. All that doesn't mean you have to like it or be enthusiastic but nothing at all has changed in the way the site "links" to social media. Nada.

Google searches completely obliterate any obscurity we may have thought we had. Social media is not encroaching on our privacy one iota more. Not even the slightest, tiniest bit. Any sense of privacy we might feel in our little GW community is a total illusion.

o

"This would not make it easier for people to find GW."

People "finding" GW is not the problem. Obviously, it is people who haven't bothered to "find" it through affinity or interest but will have the posts and photos brought to their doors anyway.

o

Also, this would not automatically let your Facebook friends see your GW posts! It does not work that way unless you purposely link your GW account with your FB account. I am on most social media and I choose not to link any of them together.

o

Shannonaz--I understand your points. Yes, of course, everything we do and say here is out in the world for all to see. BUT! I wholeheartedly disagree with the statement that social media is not encroaching on our privacy. I have a FB page to connect with some old friends from school and family that live out of the area. I like being able to read about what my Dad's first cousins once removed kids are up to these days. I don't keep in touch with them regularly by any other means. I do not post very much on my own page; don't post any personal info like my bday or kids' names; and I don't put up photos of me or my children. But I routinely see my IRL friends post on FB about "checking in" to restaurants and other public places with me and post that info. It highly irritates me that people can see which day and the specific time that I had Mexican food at the local joint because SOMEONE else posted it socially WITHOUT my knowledge or permission. My privacy is violated by social media. Well, one could make the argrument that its violated by my friends, but you get the point. That's just one example. I'll stop now because I need to get the family fed and can feel my blood pressure rise.

o

Thanks for the update Tamara. I'm glad to hear it won't be added at this time.

I think we all understand that this site isn't private, however one wrong tap on an iPhone and all privacy with Facebook friends and family goes out the window.

o

breezy: you can block people's ability to check you in places... and/or require your permission to approve them. (I'm not trying to take away from your point... just helping :))

o

Applause to Tamara and GW for listening to us.

However, enough with the apologetics. Yes I know other GW members steal our images without our permission to post on Pinterest or whatnot. But to argue that a bar wouldn't increase such intrusion is absurd. That's what it's there for. That's why sites add it. Make something easier and it happens more frequently.

As bee's post makes clear, it's become a full time job to keep up with privacy settings and new features that allow our privacy to be continuously violated. Enough.

o

Marcolo, do you mean me?

o

Amen to the NOs.

o

I have chosen not to take part in Facebook, etc. Have enjoyed Garden Web just as it is. Please don't change it. I see no reason to invite the whole world to read my comments.

o

I am pretty sure Marcolo is talking about me :) Hopefully there will some day be a way to not see the posts of certain users (I am on message boards that have this option) and Marcolo won't have to be annoyed by my posts any more. (I feel like many things I post get a an unpleasant and negative response from him)

I'm not an apologetic I was just pointing out the facts. The share bar or whatever only makes it easier for those of us on GW (you may have even needed to be signed on the see the bar?? I don't know that for sure) to share. It would NOT make it even the slightest bit easier for those outside GW or on social media to share. That is a fact.

If you don't want pictures of your home easily shared on Facebook or Pinterest, you cannot post them on Gardenweb, that's all. I love looking at all the pictures and I enjoyed posting mine 7 years ago. But those are the facts.

Since I don't link Facebook to anything simply clicking "share to Facebook" on my phone is not enough to post something to my Facebook. I have to then enter my user name and password. I guess that is what is making me less worried. I use social media on my phone constantly and accidentally posting something to Facebook has never happened....I think it is an issue if you link SOME stuff because the connection is set up. In that case I can certainly understand being stressed about the ability to accidentally post your Gardenweb posts to Facebook etc. I would be mortified to have my Facebook friends see my GW posts but since it isn't something that can happen accidentally at this time, I am not worried at all. As things change I will reassess...(edit my Photobucket etc.)

o

I don't like this idea at all either. It's not just that I don't want pictures passed on to pinterest, but it seems that those websites that cater to FB and Pinterest do it to the exclusion of those who aren't members. If I like something, I DO NOT want it to show up on my FB page. I don't friend everyone I know, but I still don't want everyone on FB knowing the websites I visit every day.

o

"I do NOT want my images propagated to the planet. "

I agree. I don't do FB. don't do twitter.

glad it's not happening here. I would have stopped posting pics if it did.

o

Thanks Tamara

o

No thanks!

o

Just because I don't use them, doesn't mean I don't understand them. I have all the capabilities just like everyone else, and I make certain to understand what's offered simply to block high school idiots I moved away from in the first place (for example).

I'm now interested to hear that if you link you're contacts (WHY!?!) they're all over the place. Another "it's only private if YOU don't share it" thing.

o

I am amazed at how many other GWers are also not involved in social networking. My adult daughter and I are both professionals in separate professions and chose to avoid social networking for a multitude of reasons, including the importance to us of keeping clients etc. removed from our personal lives, along with little faith that what may be posted privately now will always remain that way. Clearly the rug of rules that may seem comfortably woven in place can at any time be yanked from under.

I believe GW appeals to a diverse but like minded set that seek out/stumble into GW and stay due to the different type of social and informational connection IT provides - like falling down the well and discovering a new land, or joining a secret club or society - some above refer to GW as a treasure; a treasure is something valuable and special - something you may not want to share even....I imagine part of the distress that the idea of FB linkage creates for some people, including myself, is that whether fears are real or perceived, pointing highway signs and creating easy access usually does ruin what is special....think new turnpike exits to quaint towns, or bigger roads and hotels in formerly remote and pristine parks. Precisely why GW *IS* treasured by so many is reason enough that it should not be recklessly or greedily manipulated as it will likely cease to maintain it's attraction and specialness.
Thank you Tamara for this reprieve - hopefully it will not be temporary.

This post was edited by peegee on Sat, Dec 8, 12 at 15:44

o

I completely overlooked this thread until just now. It sounded uninteresting. Look what I was missing!!!

I use Facebook, but prudently. I have friends who click on everything and look like idiots. I'm careful about who I "friend" and require permission for someone to tag me. I get theirs as well. I carefully consider what I post, since it reaches old friends as well as church people. Yowzer!

As careful as I am with FB, I say NO EFFING WAY do I want somebody--anybody--to just share whatever strikes them in the Newsfeed, reaching all their low-life FB friends. C'mon, we all have a few of those. ;-)

I realize that whatever you post on the internet can be found if one is determined enough. Just Google something kitchen-ish and guess what all the hits are? However, there is a difference between a search for something and having it just delivered into your lap without effort.

I'm not a Luddite or conspiracy theorist. I love tech. I just think it's a bad idea.

And Breezy, totally agree with you about the person making juvenile comments.

o

Thanks, Tamara.

o

For years, I've had much enjoyment from seeing others achieve their dreams in their new kitchens. I recently had a fire destroy my home and have been in the process of rebuilding for the last 14 months. I was prompted to FINALLY register here on GW so that I could respond to this thread and relay my experience.

Posting on facebook of photos of the progress of my construction prompted some unwelcome visitors to my new home. They knew the house was empty and decided that any tools belonging to the contractors and anything else not nailed down would be better suited in their possession. All my appliances, cabinets, and light fixtures disappeared in a matter of hours. There have also been several occurrences of trespassers coming to my property and helping themselves to a swim in my pool or a party in my poolhouse because they know the house is unoccupied. This has all started only days after posting a pic on facebook.

So I would implore all here not to share anything you don't want the ENTIRE world to know about on facebook. Even if they are not linked to you as your personal friends, friends of friends of friends are able to see your stuff and where you live and act on it...

o

Thanks for responding and listening, Tamara. It's wonderful to know that the folks who operate this place listen to the wants and needs of the participants. Much appreciated!

o

I'm in "the business" (IT) and agree that anything that's posted here or anywhere on the internet - or even emailed - is not "secure". Businesses do their best, but the hackers out there are usually several steps ahead.

However, that does not mean you should make it easy for them! It's like locking your car - if someone really wants your car, locking it, using alarm systems, etc. won't stop them - but it will probably stop a "casual" thief b/c they'd rather find an easier car to steal.

As to FB, Twitter, etc. I do have a FB account - more to keep track of what my kids are doing and what's being posted out here (as best I can), but I also have the max security, don't use a picture of myself, etc. Social Media in general has become a 3-ring circus - but let's not join the circus! If it's not as easy to "share", etc., maybe they'll go somewhere else. :-)

BTW...I also think it's ridiculous the stuff my friends post...I don't care what your dinner looks like (well maybe that would be of interest on the Cooking Forum!) or that you're at the grocery store shopping or sitting in traffic (why are they posting if they're driving???), etc. TMI!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here