Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lanugget_gw

Kitchen Finished Pics-need backsplash advice

lanugget
15 years ago

My kitchen is finished except for a backsplash, and I need a few ideas. I have been a longtime lurker-sometime poster over the last few months. I have gotten a lot of great ideas and tips here, the best one being to look into having the cabinets made by a local cabinet maker. The start to finish time of this project was 8 weeks, with just a few hiccups along the way. Here is a before and after photo from the same view. I think if you click on them they will take you to some more shots.

Comments (58)

• edlakin
    15 years ago

subways w/ dark grout. like this:

love the kitchen!

• sergeantcuff
    15 years ago

I think it's beautiful just the way it is. Do you need a backsplash?

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful !!!!
    Backsplash?? I agree with edlakin completely.

• bkinsey
    15 years ago

BEAUTIFUL...i love the wall color! can you tell my what kind of cooktop you have and if you like it? i'm looking for a cooktop style like yours and just wanted some feedback.
    Thanks

• nwpepper
    15 years ago

Gosh that's gorgeous! How about stainless behind range and then just a short backsplash around the rest (up to the bottom of window) - your countertop material would be great for that. Or go extravagant and do marble subway from countertop to ceiling from one end of the sink-range L to the other!

• amck2
    15 years ago

I love the colors, materials and fixtures in your kitchen. If it were mine, I would probably just go with stainless behind the range. At most, I would do what pepper07 above suggested and just do a short backsplash. I think that yours is one of the best transformations I've seen. That kitchen looks timeless and like it really belongs in your home. Congrats & Enjoy!

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

Wow!!!! That is one gorgeous kitchen! Have to agree with most of above--if you have to have a backsplash something very simple like white subway tile.

• cheri127
    15 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!!!! I like it without a backsplash.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    15 years ago

I vote no backsplash too.

If you feel you want something to protect the wall from splashes and stuff, I'd put up beadboard painted the same colour as the wall, in a scrubbable paint.

That's a really, really lovely kitchen.

• lanugget
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the great feedback.

eks6426 - the cabinet paint is BM Lancaster Whitewash, the wall paint is SW Milk Pail, it is a discontinued Martha Stewart color, but they still have the formula.

Daniell00 - my cabinetmaker and I designed the shelves, and he built them.

mgkinz - the rangetop is a Wolf, and I think it's great.

As far as the backsplash goes, apparently because of the griddle in the rangetop, we have to put something non-combustible behind it. So I wasn't sure if it would look funny to put something only behind the rangetop, or should it be carried under the windows also? thanks again.

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

sweet... honed marble subways. definitely. nice job!

• gglks
    15 years ago

looks amazing. i also vote for no backsplash......maybe just under your hood, something simple.....

• hcf1
    15 years ago

Beautiful & perfect kitchen - do you need a back splash? You might want to consider a quilted stainless steal panel for behind the stove-top to help with easy clean up. Check out vwhippiechick's Kitchen in the finished kitchen's blog. She does not have a back splash either but wanted something behind her stove top to protect the wall.

By the way, would you please share with me your kitchen's dimension, size of your island and lower cabs? Love your layout & the fact that you kept it so open with no uppers.

Thanks in advance, H

• redroze
    15 years ago

Holy cow that's a gorgeous kitchen. I like the marble and what an amazing shade of blue for the walls...and great tiles and I'm not usually fond of floor tiles.

I feel like your small window above the sink is sort of floating in that sea of gorgeous blue, and you need something to visually ground them and connect them to the rest of kitchen. If I were you, I would be inclined to do a off-white 3x6 subway tile, perhaps a crackle finish, but definitely glossy. Height-wise, because you don't have any uppers, I would keep it fairly low on most of your walls. So I'd take it all the way under the range hood, then everywhere else I would take it up to the height of your top open shelf with the brackets. I think it would create a beautiful, dramatic look and make everything connect.

But that's just me!

Or you could leave it as is...and it would still look beautiful.

• redroze
    15 years ago

By the way, I was going to write that you should do a short backsplash up to the same height as the horizontal lines of your windows, then realized it would look weird if only the bottom open shelf had subway under it. So I don't think that qualifies as "fairly low" as I posted above.

Also, I like the other posters' advice to do ss under the cooktop as a focal point, and practical too.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

I think it's just beautiful... if anything I would do a simple 3x6 carerra subway tile just behind the stove.

• mojua
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! What do you think of your d/w? I just ordered the same one...

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Oh my GOSH. It's gorgeous. I thought so even before I noticed the drool-worthy marble top on the beautiful dark island. I am also not a 'blue person' but it's the perfect wall color for this room.

Judging by the original windows, I'm betting your whole house is happier because of having a kitchen that fits its character. :-)

I am torn on the backsplash issue, appreciating the easier cleanup of tile over paint. But where to end it is a dilemma. I don't think a short backsplash would be right. I would either do Edlakin's excellent idea (or the small honed marble subways) up to the bottom of the first shelf, or just do the stainless behind the range. It's perfectly situated for that with the windows limiting the area.

• sailormann
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen !!! Well Done ! I second Pepper's suggestion of using a 6" (or so) slab of counter material ending so that it butts the bottom of the window trim and running the entire length of the counter. It would look perfect; and to show that you're a 'serious' chef in a 'serious' kitchen the stainless piece behind the cooktop up to the hood, as suggested by hcfl, is an excellent finisher.

• positano
    15 years ago

Not sure if this would work for you, but here is one of my favorite cottage kitchens. This pictures makes me wish I had done these gray cabs and marble.

I love your kitchen too Lanugget! I got a sample of your floor in the green and the color was all wrong for my mudroom. Thanks again for the help.

This

Here is a link that might be useful: jrdip's cottage kitchen

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

I would not make too big a ripple in that pool of serenity. In your case, less is more. I would go with a stainless backsplash over your range and leave the rest as is. It is perfect.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I'm seeing subway tiles or bead board in your beautiful kitchen. Great job.

• lanugget
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks for all the suggestions. I am deciding between either just a piece of diamond quilted stainless behind the rangetop, or a small format off-white subway with dark gray grout up to the bottom of the windows (taking the bottom trim off) and behind the rangetop, possibly with a black 3/4 round outline.

hcf1 - the kitchen is approx 13.5 x 14. the island is 36 x 60 which includes a 12" overhang.

mojua - love the d/w. Had it in my old house and waited 5 years to get it again hoping that they still made it!

• petra_granite
    15 years ago

maybe one row: 1/2 x 1/2" glass on a mesh: all the way around baby blue glass tiles: or one or two rows of subway tiles white:

Looks so open and fresh! Awesome job!

• worldmom
    15 years ago

What a gorgeous kitchen! I love it!

I would love to know more about your soapstone when you have a free moment after reading all these glowing reviews. :o)

• marthavila
    15 years ago

This is a very lousy kitchen "as is!" I vote "no" on the backsplash. Ok to the diamond quilted stainless just behind the cooktop . . but no more. Again, this is totally working just the way it is right now!

• marthavila
    15 years ago

OMG, what am I saying??? . I meant to say that this is a totally LOVELY kitchen!!!!! I know it must be time to retire from these keyboards right now. Please forgive! :) (:

• richpoor
    15 years ago

Are you kidding? 8 weeks? That's a FABULOUS remodel, and an even more fabulous timeframe. I love the windows, the floor, the cabinets, the open shelves, everything. Really awesome!

Backsplash: it says "white subway tile" to me. Simple, classic.

Where are your light fixtures from?

• trailrunner
    15 years ago

I love your kitchen remodel. Very simple and cool and tasteful. I really like the windows and the light fixtures. The glimpse into the next room also was stunning as I love the wood screen at the room divider.

I have an 1890 home and didn't use a backsplash, not even behind our gas cooktop and builtin deep fat fryer. It was not required by code.

I will attach a link to the finished kitchen pics so you can get an idea. Our kitchens are very similar. Ours is 15x16 and we have soapstone as well as teak for countertops. I used lots of architectural salvage for my remodel. Hope this helps you decide. Caroline

Here is a link that might be useful: 1890 kitchen

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

I think stainless behind the cooktop and nothing else.

What is your flooring?

Beautiful kitchen!

• tanders
    15 years ago

Gorgeous!! I agree with edlakin--white subway tiles with darker gray grout...it looks great just as it is though too!

And yes, I'd love to know more about your tile floor.

Very nice job! Enjoy your kitchen!

• lanugget
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Once again thanks for the responses, trailrunner, I love your kitchen - I really do need something at least behind the rangetop, it is a code here. Here are a few of the details all at once instead of giving them out to specific questions:

Cabinets - custom built maple. Perimeter painted BM Lancaster Whitewash. Island stained black aniline dye.

Wall Paint - SW Milk Pail

Hardware - restoration hardware

Lighting - schoolhouse electric

appliances - Fridge, dw and ovens Jenn Air Pro, Rangetop - wolf, Hood - vent-a-hood

flooring - Marazzi 12x24 stone collection

counters - Finlandia Soapstone and honed calcutta marble

sink - blancoprecision 10 (not the zero radius)

faucet - perrin and rowe

thanks again

• trailrunner
    15 years ago

Thank you . I really keep going back to look at your pics....such a great reno. Have you seen the beautiful soapstone backsplashes behind stoves where they have a large piece but like and arch or something rather than just a square of stone. I wish I could remember where I saw it. Here is a link to some very special kitchens. Maybe you can get some ideas from it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Attic Mag

• gam51
    15 years ago

So beautiful and serene. I vote for the quilted stainless...just where you need it without disturbing the beautiful clean look. Congratulations on an elegant transformation!!

• zoey_neohio
    15 years ago

Have you ever noticed the stainless backsplash and shelf behind Ina Garten's range in her old kitchen? It goes about half way up to the hood with a shelf on top and than a small section of her painted wall shows under the hood.

This isn't the best picture because there is some reflection of her striped walls on the stainless riser, but I think you will understand what I am talking about.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a better one showing the idea with a viking range.

{{!gwi}}

I am thinking that this look would add some more character to this area as opposed to a flat piece of stainless. If you feel you need something to protect the walls elsewhere, I would put the soapstone up to the window sill. Wouldn't introduce any tile...keep it simple and clean..no grout lines. Have I told you how much I love your kitchen??!! :-)

Trailrunner, I now which backspash you are talking about and I really thought I had that picture. Darn!!!

• arlosmom
    15 years ago

I absolutely LOVE your kitchen!

I feel like I've posted this picture a gazillion times, so forgive me if you've seen it ad naseum, but here's the backsplash we did behind our range:

{{!gwi}}

Simple, minimal, easy to clean. Accent tile is Pratt & Larsen egg & dart design.

• zoey_neohio
    15 years ago

{{!gwi}}

I think this is what trailrunner was refering to, but the arc would be higher behind the range.
    {{!gwi}}

OK, I will stop now.

Oops, forgot this. Just wanted to show this pic where they just tiled the range wall.

• trailrunner
    15 years ago

neohio, that is close but the one I saw was actually behind the range....it was that type of design. It is in the FKB I am sure I just don't remember whose kitchen.

Anyway I am sure what ever is chosen will be as beautiful as the kitchen now stands. c

• autumngal
    15 years ago

Sometimes you see a kitchen and it makes you totally re-think some choices you'd thought you'd made. lanugget, your kitchen is spectacular! I love it without a backsplash, but if you have to do one, I agree with the marble subways or the stainless.

Arlosmom, I love your kitchen too- are you ever going to post all of your kitchen photos again? I don't think you can access them anymore.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I also love your kitchen so much without a backsplash but if you need one behind the stove, I would use stainless steel. I love the wall color, the creamy cabinets, the floor, the stainless appliances, etc. Your kitchen is warm and cozy.

• annekendo
    15 years ago

wow...I absolutely adore your kitchen. I vote for no backsplash also since it looks so great now. I like simple stainless behind the cooktop or maybe a subway tile to match your island. My soapstone perimeter counters & carrara island are being installed as I type & I am using a 3x6 carrara backsplash (which will be installed next week).

• lanugget
    Original Author
    15 years ago

zoey neohio - thanks for the great ideas. I like the idea of the shelf behind the range. I looked into the soapstone backsplash, and for some reason it was really expensive. I may revisit it and see if I can get a better price.

arlosmom - love your kitchen. Your backsplash is very similar to the idea I have if I go with the subway.

thanks again for the ideas.

• starpooh
    15 years ago

Are you ready for the Finished Kitchens Blog? We can post your kitchen now and then update the photos after your backsplash is installed. :-)
    If so please submit the FKB Category Checklist. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Posted by pluckymama (My Page) on Tue, Dec 9, 08 at 23:52

I would not make too big a ripple in that pool of serenity. In your case, less is more. I would go with a stainless backsplash over your range and leave the rest as is. It is perfect.

And that was perfectly said.

Even your electrical outlets fit. If I had such a perfect room, I would love it now, and years later, IF I began to tire, maybe add the backsplash, for a completely new look. May we see the stove space code wants covered? Is your floor a stone that could be used on the stove wall? Personally, I have back trouble reaching and stainless shows averything so easily. I have wished someone would design detachable glass parts for the wall, and after splashed, they can go right in the dishwasher!
    Thank you for the pleasure of seeing your exquisite elegant room, it is most deffinately one of my favorites!

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Sorry, I see the album now, and the floor or countertop materials between the windows under the hood would be my first choise, and not add another element.....preserving the serene look and feel.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Just need to gaze into your kitchen a bit more...

• reeree_natural
    15 years ago

I am a little late seeing this post..all I can say is WOW!!! Absolutely beautiful!! What a beautiful transformation.. I love every inch of it! the back splashÂÂ. .how about a glass tile? Maybe clear so you can still see the walls? I think that would work perfectly. Non invasive to the room and design. ( just a thought) This is the same style I want for my kitchen. Our house is a turn of the century Victorian (1887) our kitchen was done by the previous owners and is very traditional.. I want it more vintage.. I would like to know what white you used for your trim?? Looks perfect! I am going through white color charts as we speak havenÂt found the perfect white for all the molding and trim.. So if you can share what yours is, I would appreciate it.

Let us know what you decide for the back splash.. I can relate how frustrating it can be when everything looks perfect just the way it is.

Ree

• reeree_natural
    15 years ago

**BUMP**

• lanugget
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi reeree - thanks for the feedback. I still have not decided on a backsplash, but I have considered glass (among other things). The white for both the trim and the cabinets is Benjamin Moore Lancaster Whitewash. It really is a cream or off-white. thanks again and good luck with your kitchen.

• reeree_natural
    15 years ago

Thanks lanugget! I looked up Benjamin Moore Lancaster Whitewash on BM virtual fan deck and it said "no matches found" I guess I have to make a trip! I do love the color of your cabinets and trim..on my monitor it looks 'white' but soft..no tans or yellow under tones..??

I really think the clear glass tile would work great..I also think getting the SS back splash on your cook top is also a great idea..love it with the shelf. my own feeling is that either one of them would work very well.

I also love your cabinets. They were custom made?? How were they painted, was it sprayed? who did you get to do it? I have been going back and forth with having my cabinets painted..this started over a year ago.. I posted on the decorating forum (love it there) and everyone told me not to do it (they are cherry) so I chickened out. They are pretty cabinets, but I have always felt a vintage style kitchen would work very well in this house..the age calls for it for sure, I really need a plan..lol

Thanks again and let us know what you decide with the back splash..can't wait to hear..your kitchen is really beautiful and I am sure you are all smiles when your in it :)
    ree