Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
30 inch countertop depth and electrical code

Posted by kinei (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 12:21

Are there any code restrictions with deep countertops (~30") and electrical outlets? I was told by someone that the outlets must be with in 24" of the edge of the countertop. The way I read it was if the outlet was on a wall not directly behind the countertop, the outlet must be with in 24" from the end of the countertop.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 30 inch countertop depth and electrical code

You seem to be talking about two different things in your post.

I was told by someone that the outlets must be with in 24" of the edge of the countertop.
I can find nothing in the 2008 NEC that specifies that. The only thing it says about depth of countertops is that a countertop of greater than 12" deep must get receptacles.

The way I read it was if the outlet was on a wall not directly behind the countertop, the outlet must be with in 24" from the end of the countertop.
Here, you seem to be talking about peninsular countertops? What else could it mean if there were not a wall behind the countertop (other than an island)?

There is a section on peninsular countertops. To the best of my knowledge, the section [which is 210.52(C)(3) ] just says that you need at least one outlet for a peninsula that is longer than 24" long.

o

No code I am aware of that specifies countertop depth. We have 30" countertop throughout.

o

The 24 inches is the distance allowed parallel to the wall from any place on the counter more than 12 inches wide to a receptacle.

That essentially means the outlets must be spaced no more than 48 inches apart.

Sinks and built in appliances like ranges do not count in the 24 inch rule, but you need a receptacle within 24 inches of the edges of the sink or appliance on both sides.

While the peninsula rule is for one receptacle, of you have a long one adding more is a good idea.
Receptacles cannot be face up in a counter either.

One of the real headaches people run into is when window stools are flush to the counter, leaving no place for receptqacles.

While the NEC uses "wall counter space" few AHJs will allow you to skip the receptacles when the window is there.

o

It did not come up with my remodel and I'm in a pretty strict area.

o

+1 to what Brick said - 24" is along the wall; where the edge of the counter is is not relevant.

o

That is what I thought, I was just told different.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here