Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stretchad_gw

Sink question for double sink owners - bowl placement

stretchad
14 years ago

I am leaning towards the double sink with a smaller bowl on one side, and larger bowl on the other. Do you think the placement of the smaller bowl matters - whether it's on the right or left?

Current placement is small bowl on left, big bowl on right. Dirty dishes sit to the right of the sink on the counter. Get rinsed in the big bowl and put in dishwasher to the left of sink. Or dishes get washed in the big bowl and put to dry to the left of the sink on the counter. We rarely use our small bowl except for disposal use and soaking utensils.

So what do you think. Does it matter?

Comments (15)

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My arrangement is similar to judydel - oversized basin on right for rinsing prior to placing in dishwasher on right side. I also use the oversized bowl for washing oversized things. I have a regular sized bowl on the left side for draining dishes since I don't care to have dishes draining on the counter. Disposal is on the right side bowl as I consider that the "dirty" side and clean things - draining dishes, draining produce, etc. go in the left bowl.

• judydel
    14 years ago

OOOOh Gibby it sounds like your sink is even bigger than mine. An oversized bowl on the right and a regular sized bowl on the left? Sounds like heaven. Photos?

• stretchad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Judydel - where'd you find your 1.75 sink?

• squigs
    14 years ago

I agree with Judy and Gibby. Except mine is the other way around. My DW is on my left, so my larger sink and disposal is on the left. That way I can use my smaller sink for draining dishes or washing veggies, etc. I always had a 50/50 sink, and this time I got a nice, big 60/40 sink. (not as big as Judy's incredible sink though). The plumbing isn't done yet, but I already love it!

• judydel
    14 years ago

Stretchad I bought it online from a company called Brass & Traditional in the UK. It's their Sherbourne sink and it's fireclay. I had a bit of trouble with the corners chipping when it was installed, but it was repaired and in the end I am happy I got it because it fit all the specifications I was looking for, namely a drop in double bowl sink with the large bowl on the right (interior dimension is 20.75" x 15") and a smaller bowl on the left (interior dimension is 12.75" x 15") in white.

squigs that looks like a beauty! It must be hard having it sitting pretty but not hooked up. Soon I hope?

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago

judydel - my sinks are Corian so I could pick the two large single bowls of my choice and have them fabricated into place side by side like a double bowl - just no size constraints like a typical double bowl sink.

• judydel
    14 years ago

Gibby that's why I almost went with Corian. But then I became smitten by soapstone and decided to go that route. But that is definitely a major advantage, being able to have the integrated sinks at whatever size you desire. Nice!

• squigs
    14 years ago

gibby, I'd love to see a pic of your sink. do you have it posted?

Judy, soon, I hope, too!

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Regarding Stretchad's question, we have the large bowl on the left & the small bowl on the right with the DW on the right as well. The Garbage Disposer is on the large bowl.

My DH does most of the cleanup and this is the configuration he specifically asked for. He uses the small bowl to soak utensils (b/c they're the things our KA DW seems to have the most trouble getting clean) and also uses the soapy water to wipe down the table & counters. Meanwhile, the large bowl is used to scrape food scraps (no, no composting...yet) and soak bigger pots & pans, if necessary, or just stack dirty dishes until cleanup time. This keeps the big pots & pans off the counter...something I especially dislike if they're soaking.

Why the DW on the right? Because that's the side the TV is on & he likes to watch TV while cleaning up! Left/right had nothing to do w/being left handed or right handed...it was all "what side will the TV be on?" LOL! However, the side for the small bowl was determined by the side the DW is on. He wanted to be able to take the soaking utensils out of the sink & put them directly into the DW w/o too much dripping. Since dishes are usually scraped but not rinsed, there's no dripping when they're put into the DW so closer proximity to the DW for those items wasn't a priority. (BTW...There are two versions of our sink...one with the small bowl on the right (ours) and one w/the small bowl on the left.)

Judydel...I'm not sure I understand your statement:

"... I'm the only one I know of on GW that found a double bowl sink that actually has a full size basin plus smaller basin..."

and then

"...large bowl...interior dimension is 20.75" x 15"..."

Many people here have a double-bowl sink with the large bowl even bigger. The large bowl in my sink, for example, has interior dimensions of 21-3/8" x 18-3/4". It's the Ticor S405D and many people on GW have the same sink.

"...smaller bowl...interior dimension is 12.75" x 15"..."

My smaller bowl is narrower by approx 2" (10-1/2" x 15-7/8"), but for the smaller bowl that's actual better for us. Less water needed to fill it when we need to soak things...yet it's still big enough to fit my 8qt pot.

It really depends on how you plan to use your sink that should drive answer to the single/double bowl & bowl size questions. One thing, some GWers have noted that a single bowl works for them only b/c they have a second sink in the kitchen...no, not everyone says/has this. But if you have a second/prep sink, you may or may not need a double bowl sink. In my case, we have both...a double bowl main sink & prep sink...but they're on opposite sides of the kitchen (as are our Prep/Cooking Zones & Cleanup Zone) across a 6-1/2' aisle, so even a double-bowl main sink wouldn't be much help for us for prepping & cooking.

• studio460
    14 years ago

We have the Blanco double-bowl sink below. But the small bowl (right) doubles as both a colander and a flatware drainer because it has this built-in, removable strainer thing (which I love). I definitely wanted the disposal in the large bowl (left). I don't know why people tend to install them in the smaller, "upper" bowl instead (my mom did hers that way). We put the small bowl on the right, since we're right-handed, and since that's the only way Blanco sells it.

{{gwi:1987903}}

Blanco Axia Silgranit sink in anthracite (black); photo by manufacturer.

• judydel
    14 years ago

Buehl I stand corrected. What I should have said is "I'm the only one I know of on GW that found a WHITE double bowl sink that actually has a full size basin plus smaller basin".

Interesting point about how the smaller basin should be closer to the DW if you
    a. don't plan to use the smaller bowl for draining dishes or produce
    b. use the small bowl for soaking before placing in DW

Even though we have a new Miele DW I still rinse everything. I should try loading without rinsing and see how it goes. It just seems unnatural to me. I guess old habits dies hard.

• anny-2009
    14 years ago

squigs,

Your sink is nice. Where do you buy it? What brand? What dimension? That's what I'm looking for: a big bowl & a not too small bowl.

Thank you

Annie

• ejbrymom
    14 years ago

Mine is just like Squigs!

I say put the larger section whereever the garbage disposal will be. I tend to use the big side for dishes and the small size for veggies and such. LOVE having a 2 bowl sink!! LOVE IT!!!

• S C
    14 years ago

I have a Blanco double bowl sink. Large bowl is on the left, smaller bowl is on the right. Garbage disposal is in the smaller bowl and the dishwasher is on the right. This works well for us with our style of doing dishes. We give a quick scrape/rinse to stuff going into the dishwasher, and use the smaller bowl for that, while the larger bowl is filled with soapy water to wash pots and pans and things that can't go in the dishwasher. We are moving and remodeling our new house currently, and the kitchen is going to have the opposite configuration. The sink will be on the right, dishwasher on the left, so I'm guessing we'll just flip our current configuration, which works well for us. But it really depends on your dishwashing style as well as placement of the dishwasher.