Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bayareafrancy

Tips for living without a sink for a week?

bayareafrancy
16 years ago

Hi all,

They are coming in about an hour to take away one wall of cabinetry, including my sink and dishwasher. I've never really lived without these items before (especially a sink), so I'm not sure what to expect. (This area also includes my only counter working space.)

The closest souce of water is in an upstairs bathroom, and I'm a heavy tea drinker. So I'll buy some large jugs of water for the kitchen. And well be wimpy and wasteful and use disposable/recyclable/compostable dishes (we only have one bathroom, and I don't want to wash dishes in it!). And we'll mostly eat out for a week. (I still have my microwave, and oven. But no dishes to put in either.)

Am I forgetting anything important?

Francy

Comments (17)

• jt562
    16 years ago

I have been without my sink & dw since mid Oct & you have my sympathy! One thing you may want to add to your disposables lists are extra paper towels & some of those crockpot bags if you should get tired of eating out.

HTH!

JoAnn

• silvia_2007
    16 years ago

I never had a kitchen to use for 2 weeks. The first couple of days, i would always walk over the sink for water only to know there isn't a faucet.

I had a microwave and a fridge that I had in my dining room to use.

You may want to get a bunch of wet naps to use.

Eating out or ordering in would be the best.

• daki
    16 years ago

If you do need to wash any dishes during the time period and don't want to use the bathroom sink, you can use a plastic dishpan for hand washing - use it sort of like a portable sink.

• Fori
    16 years ago

Don't be wimpy, Francy! =)

I've done a 3 month kitchen remodel in the frozen wastelands of a Michigan winter. Unless you're in Green Bay and I know you're not, you can barbecue and wash your crockpot with a garden hose!

Just teasing, but you'll be fine. Pretend you're camping. A week is easy! Sounds like you have everything planned you need. Be aware it'll probably be 2 weeks and not just the one. These things always go over.

• debo_2006
    16 years ago

We were without a sink for 2+ months, however, we did have a laundry sink next to the kitchen which was a huge help.

We used paperplates alot and ordered in. Another ideas is if you want a home-cooked meal or two during that "short" time, you can get the disposable tins at the dollar store (2 for $1.00) to make casseroles. Plastic, throw-away utensils and cups come in handy to, but you already know that. Helps on having to washing dishes upstairs. I wouldn't want to do that either, but, we do what we have to.

You can use a piece of drywall or another flat surface to put on top of your counter for temp. working space.

Lucky for you the inconvenience will be short.

• polly929
    16 years ago

Francy-
    We lived without our kitchen sink during a kithen renovation from June 26 until Oct 20th. I have 2 little ones and lots of sippy cups! I kept a large bevarage tub/ bucket (the ones people use at parties)in my makeshift kitchen in the den. I would fill that up and at the end of the day wash everything at once in the basement sink. We have a poland spring water cooler so that was what we used for drinking water, bottled water should be fine for you for the week. I tried not to use too much paper cups and plastic (my husband likes to be green) I saw your before pics- your new kitchen and sink will be well worth it- Enjoy and best of luck!

• ntt_hou
    16 years ago

To stay on budget, I lived on TV dinners for 2 months! Microwaved them, eat and tossed them out. The plus to all this? I lost 4 pounds! JFJ (Jumping For Joy) Well... actually I'm wheellie around in my wheelchair for joy =o)

To beef up the TV dinner portion, I purchased ready cut veggies and added into the dinner when heating them. There was enough sauce in the tv dinner to mix in the extra veggies.

I did some minor dishwashing and used the sink of the 1/2 bath that was nearby. I didn't mind since I often sanitez it. One thing to remember is not to throw food down the bath sink to avoid from clogging.

It's really not as bad ad it sounds. It'd go by quickly.

• lulundave
    16 years ago

I too am living thorough a major renovation. We are onto month #4.I never went without a sink.

My hubby used a sawsall to cut out the old counter that the sink sits in. Then he cut 2 X 4's and strapped up the sink to the wall temporarily. Super simple!

One 2X4 supports the unit on the wall and two 2X4's come down on a 45 degree and are screwed from the front of the sink into the wall.

We were able to tile the floor with this on. We painted around it. We could do dishes!!!

Hope this description helps.

I am so excited as my new cabinets and counter will be installed tomorrow. So, I will be without a sink for at least a day or so. But...we will manage.

• bayareafrancy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the ideas!

But he didn't come today!! *weep*

He called and said he's a day behind. *sigh* Tomorrow then. My biggest fear is that once he takes my sink, he'll get delayed. And delayed. And delayed...

I'm amazed at how long some of you have gone without a sink!! Whoa!! I tend to think of myself as an old-fashioned gal in so many ways (no fancy appliances or electronics). And yet, I would go crazy with no sink for that long... I'm no camper! I like hot water on demand!

Francy

• othertime
    16 years ago

I set up tempory sink and dw with my old counter top on 2x4. look ma no cabinets!!

{{!gwi}}

• natal
    16 years ago

It'll be a piece of cake! I've been using the bathroom sink and tub with bus bins since early January.

• daki
    16 years ago

When we renovated the kitchen in our previous house, I had to use the dishpan method for about 3 months. We tried using paper plates as much as we could, but got sick of that very quickly. To my dismay, our bathroom sinks were too tiny to wash any dishes. Even my coffee mug was too big. I ended up washing dishes in a shower in our downstairs bath. Yes, in the shower. For 3 months. Dishpan and drying rack sat on the shower floor. I would turn on the shower to fill up the dishpan. Then, turn off shower. Open door, kneel, and wash dishes. Soapy clean dishes went into the the drain rack. After I was done, I would empty the dishpan water into the toilet (lol), aim shower head onto drain rack, and rinse the dishes with the shower head. I swore never to go through another kitchen remodel after that.

So, we moved a few years ago and are now going through another kitchen remodel. At least this time I have a huge laundry tub :). After my shower sink, I really don't mind schlepping the dishes upstairs in busboy mode.

• donnar57
    16 years ago

I'm not much of a camper either - gave up tent camping well over 12 years ago. I made do with the upstairs bathroom sink, a dishtub, and paper products where practical. We survived 5 weeks without a kitchen sink. I was sure glad when the new sink went in! Then we survived for another month without a dishwasher, since we reused the old one and it needed a new seal.

One thing we saved from tent camping days was the gas camping stove. Mostly, we saved it in case of power outages, since we had and still have an electric stove. It came in VERY handy during the remodel - we cooked outside on the stove! Now, I wouldn't want to do that all the time - crockpot, electric fry pan and wok got used too. Mostly, tho, the microwave.

But dishes got done in the sink and the bathtub.

DonnaR/CA

• bob_cville
    16 years ago

Since my kitchen remodel was a total DIY and I also work full time, there was quite a period between when the old sink went away and when the new sink was undermounted beneath the new granite. The pictures from March 1 show the old sink was already gone, and the counters weren't finished until September 20 or so.

In addition to using paper plates and plastic cutlery, having a free-standing laundry sink that could be hooked up and unhooked in about 5 minutes helped immensely.

{{!gwi}}

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

bob_cville
    We did the same and it has worked like a charm. I thought my HB was going a little overboard. I teased him a little about not being able to "rough it". But it really has been handy and as you say quick to install/remove when work was being done.

• Fori
    16 years ago

For outdoor washing up, you can get inexpensive potting sinks that hook up to the garden hose. I don't know if they'd make it any easier for cleanup--I suppose you'd boil up a big pot of water and go outside to do the dishes.

Best to just eat out a lot!