Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aloha2009

Need pics of Kitchen Sinks with Windows or Undercabinet space

aloha2009
13 years ago

After much emotional agony we have decided on taking down a small wall that separated the kitchen to the great room and replacing it with a large island. Though the kitchen currently has enough indirect wall-to-wall North lake facing light and views coming from the adjacent dinette and great room, the extra light will make it that much more

The problem arises is that the wall that will be torn down currently houses 72" of upper cabinets. We'd like to move the sink to an outside wall instead of the island BUT we'd hate to take away even more upper cabinetary (wall is 14' but houses the frig too) to allow for even a small window of 36". We've considered a glass doored cabinet but would like to see it in a configuration about the sink.

Many of the pics I've seen of kitchen are quite beautiful on this site! Please send me your kitchen sinks that have a window above them (especially ones with a small window). Also if you have managed to make a really "sweet" looking area to view above your sink, I'd love to see what you've done.

Comments (8)

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

I don't have a window over my sink, but I do have what I think is a similar layout to what you're planning (without moving the sink). Our sink is on an island that faces an interior garden -- no seating, bar, etc. on the other side of the island. It gives a view of the rest of the house and draws light from there. It was on the other side of the kitchen, over the range, where we deleted the upper cabinets. We had 30" on either side of the range, and then 30" of the small cabs over the range hood. By using deep drawers almost exclusively in the remodeled kitchen, we found we never even missed the lost upper cabinets.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is:

1) if you plan well, you won't miss the upper cabinets, and
    2) it might be fine to leave the sink in the island.

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My husband (who does the majority of cooking) prefers the cooktop on the island for various reasons and actually I prefer it that way too, but not at all costs. I thought if there was something out there that looked good/great we'd put the sink on the outside wall.

By the way it looks like you've got your island and galley of cabinets close together. How close is it? Would you prefer more, less, same space? We're looking at maybe 4-5' but haven't decided on that.

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

The walkway in our kitchen is 49" (countertop edge to countertop edge). We deepened the countertops in the reno, so lost about 4" from the original. It works fine. The only hassle is the pantries on either end -- having a door open blocks off access to the kitchen. But it's part of the original design and we weren't going to make big structural changes.

We weren't going to move any plumbing or gas lines, so left the sink and range where they were. But I don't think I would have swapped them, even if budget weren't a concern. The range wall is an interior wall, so no opportunity for a window there. I also wanted to make a feature of the range wall backsplash and hood. Keep in mind, too, that if you put the range/cooktop in the island, you have to deal with venting. So you either have to have an island hood that interrupts the view, or a downdraft vent that might or might not be powerful enough for the cooking you do (and involves installation of special ducting if you don't have it there already).

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Here are some ideas. I showed some sinks with a window
    and many without a window behind it. Maybe you can
    keep your cabinet space after all.
    Good luck.
    ~boxerpups

Posh Place

Kitchen Cottage living

Beachy place

Tony Shaloub's home

Sinks without a window....

Modenus

Charles Hudson Designs

BM Cloud white paint

Melissa Ervin Green painted floors

Crabtree

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Silly me, I re read your post. Here are some with a small
    window. Forgive me.
    ~boxerpups

Cottage Kitchen

Fayette Woman

Fuller

Jeff Prescott

Rejuvenation

Ann Sage Neutral

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

Here is my sink and window. I don't have a cabinet above my sink but two large ones on either side:

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much jakebedy for your exhaustive search! Though some of these were very nice, and I LOVE windows, nothing strikes me enough to forgo more upper cabinets then we already have.

The design process is moving along with help from others such as yourself.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

(The pictures were posted by BoxerPups)

I've always liked the look of a plate rack over a sink if it isn't in front of a window or on an island.

BTW...normally, I'd prefer the sink be on the island than the cooktop. It makes it so much easier to properly vent and there are less safety issues. Do you have at least 24" of space on each side of the cooktop as well as behind it for safety? Is there seating behind the cooktop?

If it's to visit while working, you do realize that 70% of the time spent working in the kitchen is prepping and only 10% is spent cooking (the other 20% is spent cleaning up)? Ideally, the Prep Zone should be in the most coveted space...whether it's a view outside or the ability to visit with guests.