Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alto_gw

Islands-Flat or Two Tiered???

alto
13 years ago

We are in the process of designing our kitchen for a new house build. I'm stuck on the island. We've had both a flush island with no appliances or sinks. We've also had an island with a raised breakfast bar.

We liked both and I'm torn in making this decision. Any one have any pros or cons to either??

Comments (17)

• abundantblessings
    13 years ago

My preference is not what is en vogue @ GW, but this is what we had designed and built a couple of times. Two other homes had a variation of this format, but I've had and enjoyed using galley kitchens as well.

This works well for the way I use our kitchen, but YMMV. We built a U-shaped kitchen with a display hutch and/or additional cabinetry on the 4th wall. I placed my cooktop on the island so I can see out to the adjacent family room. Installed wall ovens flush with built-in refrigerator behind the island so I would not have to stand in front of hot ovens and could easily access the fridge and ovens from the island. I prefer the sink in the peninsular with a raised bar as it helps hide clutter and gives those seated at the bar a designated clean area to visit, eat or work. I understand the argument for not having the island between the sink and refrigerator/oven, but this has never posed a problem. I placed a secondary sink in the butler's pantry as I don't have the need for a prep sink in the kitchen.

Many here seem to prefer a flat island, range against a wall, a prep sink, and the main sink under a window (though my sink in the peninsular provides great outdoor views through the family room and breakfast nook windows and/or doors which I also get while cooking @ the island). I love that I can get used utensils to the sink/dishwasher from both the breakfast nook and family room without having to go fully into the kitchen. My setup permits full social interaction to the eat-in nook and to family room which is also where the tv is so I can watch if I choose. None of the current trend makes as much sense for me, but those that like the other set-up I'm sure may feel my design is flawed for them. Since you're building, you can figure out what makes the best use of light & space for the way you want to live and move in your home. Good luck!

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

Flat with range/cooktop in island. No sinks, nothing else.
    It is nice to face out while cooking.
    The reason i dont like the tiered look is that breaks up the use of the island (function) and looks like a starbucks counter (form).

• xc60
    13 years ago

We had both types of islands as well and decided to go with a flat island this time. We like the larger space it gives for a work area for projects, baking, wrapping gifts......

• bireland
    13 years ago

It depends on what you want to use the island for, your space issues and on esthetics. In our new kitchen we have a long, wide counter, which gives us an open view to our gardens and lots of work space, including the main sink. In our former house we had a two-tiered island separating our family room and kitchen. It was the perfect place to sit for drawing/sketching (artist wanna be), & we ate informal meals there, etc. I kinda miss it, but it would not work in our current house. So, consider how you would use the island and how it would look.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I considered a two-tiered peninsula in my very first new kitchen plan, but quickly decided against it. Unless your kitchen is gigantic, a flat island might be your only spot for a large work space for projects like baking, school, or wrapping. You're hemming yourself in with a raised bar area.

BUT it can depend on your kitchen layout. If you draw plans with both and post both here, you'll get lots of great help!

• lucypwd
    13 years ago

I vote for FLAT - visually more open (I prefer), better space usage - less money to create- easier to clean -fewer seams- can utilize for projects that need space as noted above - easier to replace when and if you change your surface material in the future.

• shannonplus2
    13 years ago

I posted on another thread that I do not like two-tiered islands, and I will link it below.

In any case, for us to give more specific advice, the OP needs to provide more information regarding size of the kitchen, and size of the proposed island. Also, what will the island be used for? Cooking, prep, landing area, kids doing homework, eating?

The OP did not mention whether s/he will be planning a cooktop/range on the island, but Pharaoh brought it up. I have to respectfully disagree with Pharaoh's suggestion of a range/cooktop on an island. It is a real PITA to exhaust a range/cooktop on an island; you are opening a can of worms there. If you do a proper overhead hood over an island, it will have to be larger and more powerful than a hood against a wall, due to the open area all around the island. The open area means the smoke/grease won't be contained by anything, and therefore a hood would need more cfm's and larger capture area. An island hood will cost more than a hood against a wall. Also, if you have a view you would like, an island hood will be in the way. Downdraft exhausts don't work very well--the idea goes against physics that smoke goes up. Another reason I don't like a cooktop/range in an island is the amount of space you will need around it - for landing area for pans and prep, and also enough room so that people sitting at the counter won't be splattered by what's cooking. Also, I think it's a charming idea that one can be cooking on an island while chatting with friends and looking out, but the reality is that while you are cooking, you are looking down at your pans.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about Bi-level Islands

• alto
    Original Author
    13 years ago

pharoah if we do a total flat island we won't have any sink or cook top. No easy/visual way to do the ventilation.

shannonplus2 thanks for the links to other threads

julieh1926 beautiful island. I like that it isn't just square/rectangle raised tier. what is your countertop? It is beautiful.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

We are going 2 tier in a big way. Our stove will be in our island and it has a high back to it. Therefore, our 2nd level will be 18" higher. I like the higher back to break the look directly into the kitchen but to still feel open.
    Our layout is an open floor plan with several rooms, so the higher back helps define the space and also keeps the small kitchen appliances from looking cluttered when viewing from the den or dining room. It will also keep people from looking straight at the sink across the way. The back part will be wall cabs facing the other way so as not to waste space with an empty overhang.

We had a flat island in our last house and it worked there, whereas a 2 tier would not have worked. It was only open to the kitchen table and had counter seating, so was completely different. The living and dining rooms were off the to the side of the island so the high back would have been for no reason. I did have trouble wiping all the way to the other side and would have to go around to really reach it all. Our new island will not get as much use on the top/back part, so cleanup will be easier. Our flat island had nothing on it and was a large open expanse. It was less long, so that may be another difference.

So, it all boils down to layout and what you put on your island or don't put there. There is no one answer.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

We considered (read: I agonized over) a one tier, a two tier and a three tier before finally deciding on a one tier. We will have an 11 foot long island, so there was a lot of space to work w/

What convinced me of a one tier, after a lot of back and forth:
    More open space to work
    A large flat expanse of natural stone can make a better focal point than a broken up island as someone in my thread pointed out)
    Our cab maker actually said it was going to be more expensive to facilitate the 3 tier option

The main reason I considered a tiered island, and not sure if this is an issue for you b/c I'm not sure how long/big yours is, was that I originally did not want seams and have to have a seam w/ a one tier. I made this OK for me by getting bookmatched slabs so they can do a butterfly seam

Hope that list of my thought process helps some :)

• julieh1926
    13 years ago

I think it all really boils down to the shape and space of your kitchen and what you want to accomplish, along with how or if your kitchen plays into other rooms, etc. The answer is going to be different for everyone. Some hate bi-levels; I wouldn't want a sink or cooktop in a flat space. I've seen some bi-levels with cooktops or sinks that are way too small and wouldn't be functional for me. But others love theirs! Some of the most gorgeous islands I've seen are single level with a sink or cooktop, but that wasn't what would work for me or my space.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

Our counters are Barroca soapstone -- we love them (as I've said a million times, I still can't believe they're mine:)

• Gina_W
    13 years ago

I used to dislike two-tiered island, but I have one now in my new house. I realize now that it depends on the room and the functionality you want to achieve. i have a large island with lots of space on the lower tier so that space was not sacrificed. The island has no cooktop or sink in it.

I dislike flat islands with cooktops in them if there is seating in front of the cooktop. And sinks are definitely out for me because I always have stuff around the sink. Your mileage may vary, LOL.

And a two-tiered island can make a visual division in a room if you need one.

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

I don't care for flat islands with cooktops or sinks unless it's a prep sink. rather hide that from view especially if people are sitting there. If no appliances I'd probably go for flat to increase the single level work space. However it depends on the space. if you want it to add a little division between spaces I'd go bilevel and if you have seating around it and a table between it and another space I'd go bilevel for contrast and so you can see it.

• melaska
    13 years ago

julieh,

I love your kitchen & island. Your setup makes a very strong case for the 'bi-level' fans for sure! Your colors are what I want in my living area...beautiful!

• cpartist
    13 years ago

My bi-level divides my kitchen from my dr/lr area which is why I went with the bi-level. It gives us a separate place to eat breakfast without messing the dining table. I have my sink on the lower portion and that was another reason for me; to hid the dishes when entertaining. I am an almost empty nester so my needs may be different than yours. We intend to entertain, eat breakfast/lunch at our breakfast bar, and we have no seating in our kitchen. I think if I had young kids, I'd build it so it was one level so they could "help", chat, etc. But then again, we wouldn't have bought this apartment!

My sister has a single level with the kitchen on that end and the water is always splashing over to the other side.

• missmuffet
    13 years ago

From what I can tell from your post - it seems like you won't have a sink or a cooktop on the island. If that is the case, I think you need to ask yourself how you intend to use the space. Do you want a hidden area with a wall to lean against, or do you want uninterupted space to spread out your cooking, baking, homework - whatever. Would a barrier work with the function of the room, or against it?

I struggled with this same question, and I personally like both. We had first settled on a two tiered island. Our room is open to a greatroom and we needed to put the sink in the island. I was convinced that a tier would help make the room appear cleaner. It also makes a comfortable leaning space for my guests - which would work nicely with the way we entertain.

However, when our contractor dropped our supporting ceiling headers down lower than I had anticipated I wasn't comfortable with the two tiers anymore. I just felt that the space wasn't going to feel as open as I had desired. Once I came to the realization that a single level island would open the space back up - I was hooked. Now I'm looking forward to all of the room I will be able to spread out on. I'm just gonna buy a deeper sink and try not to spray everyone :o)

Oh, you may also want to look at stools for both heights. Consider what look you are going for and if you have children that might have difficulty with the higher stools. Remember, the single level is still higher than a table, so you can get a similar look depending on the style of stool.