Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momof3kids_pa

Help choosing between 2 layouts please!

momof3kids_pa
9 years ago

So we are a bit further on with the architect etc. We have retained our cabinet company (custom) and are working with kitchen designer now. We are down to 2 layouts. Which would you choose? Plan 1 is more of an open concept, I feel it gives better flow with living room etc, I also like that my main orientation, prepping etc is toward all the action. downside would be main sink in island, which i have always been against ANY sink in the island, but I'm starting to get over it, plus it's more like a continent so I'm hoping all the reasons i dont like sinks in islands does not apply!

Plan 2 is nice, more of a standard L with island. my likes: no sink in island. my dislikes: orientation is slightly against the action (slightly), and having to walk further to pool area. ((we are going to have it as a pool table area, but i would not want a future buyer who would like it as a dining room to think it was inconvenient to access the dining room)) --although we have NO intention of moving, ever.

So thoughts?? How do they look???? Which would you choose?

PLAN1
{{gwi:2141666}}

PLAN2
{{gwi:2141667}}

Comments (8)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I like no. 1 because it "feels" right, however, there is one big no-no for me, and that's the sink directly across from the stove. You might also consider that cleaning a 6' island is not easy -- I'd probably make it narrower just for that reason (see how far you can reach easily from each side). Is the island one level or bi-level (if the latter, it's even worse, because from one side, you'd have to stretch 4-1/2' for cleaning).

In either case, assuming each square is 1', you haven't allotted enough room for the table and chairs vis-ÃÂ -vis the fireplace and lounge chairs. You need about 2' in width for the chairs on either side of the table, plus the table width, plus some space behind the chairs for maneuvering. In the pictures, you've only allocated 6' total starting at the window - you probably need at least 9' from the window for a 3' wide table.

• szruns
    9 years ago

I like the second one better because I wouldn't want my kitchen space so open to the pool table, but that is an entirely personal preference. If you have a very small family and won't regularly be in the kitchen/dining while others are playing pool loudly, then that wouldn't be as much an issue. I have a large loud household, lol.

I'd take the second layout as my baseline and consider rotating the island 90 degrees so the main seating backs towards the dining instead of backing towards your coffee bar. If you did that, then a 48" aisle would probably be OK on that side if you had no seating there, and that would end up with enough seating for maybe three on the side facing the dining area, especially if you went with 45" work aisles on the other interior aisles, as I think that could give you about an 80" long island. If you did that, you could even put a prep sink on the corner of the island across from the fridge.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

Can you remove the wall between the pool table and sofa. Then your room would retain total flexibility and if you truly enjoy pool, everyone would be able to be together.
    What size is your pool table? Some pool tables may require more room than you show, but with the wall removed would work.

• momof3kids_pa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you all! hockeyfan... we could move sink down one way, good thought about the back to back! not worried about the reach, i just measured... I have a 4 foot reach at counter height (not surprised, it always annoyed me to buy special shirts with extra sleeve length, but now I'm feeling my gibbon arms may come in handy!) Also measured the window, it is 8.6 ft from the wall to the edge of window trim, i currently have a 39 x 72 in table there and there seems to be room. I did inquire with the interior designer if there was room for chairs... she assured me there was! (i was skeptical too, so who knows). But I get you, overall i also get the feeling that it "feels" right!

szrun, I think we are bagging the pool table there, with a crowd there and adults playing pool, perfect! BUT, I guess what I hadn't initially considered was my 11 yo son frequently has boys over after school... they would NOT want to play pool there with mom staring at them!! I think the pool table has to go back in the living room!

Karenseb, that is a 4x8 pool table, we did research recommendations and i believe you need 13.5 x 18 for that size. that room is 13.5 x 19. and YES, we can remove that wall between! That is also tbd... full wall (currently), half wall, or no wall!!

This layout stuff is driving me batty! I'm so ready to move on to fun stuff, like the fine details and finishes etc. but I can't do anything until the overall plan is nailed down. If there is anyone in the montgomery county area of pennsylvania, i will provide coffee/wine etc for a friendly tko consult-visit!!

• sena01
    9 years ago

I like sink and range on the same counter, so I'd prefer the second plan. But fridge is too far from the sink.

If there is heavy traffic b/w the LR and garage/bath area or if you have small kids I'd avoid a layout like the first, where sink and range are 48" apart.

I noticed that you have DW b/w the sink and the trash. I believe most prefer sink in the middle. I wanted to mention it, since I'm not sure if it's the way you prefer or an oversight.

• momof3kids_pa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sena, where would you put fridge in plan1 then? I didn't want sink on back wall because I don't want my back to the main space, but there isn't enough room on the L wall - I lose too much counterspace near the sink. I just plan on plopping everything from fridge onto island, then prep from there, but I don't know!

also, can you put trash in between DW and sink? I tried to research that here unsuccessfully. I just was thinking that if someone from the "outside" wanted to throw something away, they wouldn't have to enter kitchen area.

At this point I am looking to choose the best overall space layout, then once that happens I will post again to fine tune the chosen plan. My brain hurts from thinking about this :o)

• practigal
    9 years ago

I like option two better but I would flip the location of the sink and stove as it will be much more efficient to remove food from the fridge and put it directly by the sink where you will prep it and then move the prepped food to the stove. Maybe I am missing something but I don't see either a pantry or a broom closet. I don't see why you need a wall between the sofa area and the pool table. I would presume that the people playing pool would like to watch the game in the other room when they are not taking their turn. If you like to watch TV while you are prepping in the kitchen, you may want to put a prep sink in the kitchen island so that you too could be facing the TV.

• sena01
    9 years ago

I'd leave the fridge at the same place, but consider a prep sink across the fridge and move the seat there to the short end of the island. The area b/w the main sink and the range can be a secondary prep area.

Another alternative can be to move the micro/toaster etc next to fridge and move the range to their place and make a peninsula with a prep sink and seats there (not as deep as the island). I'm not sure how close that would be to the patio door though.

I have my trash (15-16") b/w the sink and the DW and I'm fine with it. But I have a raised DW, so can reach most parts of the DW even when the trash drawer is open.