Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

KAW...lots going on...

User
11 years ago

Today is my 62nd birthday. DH got up and made us buttermilk waffles in our very old Dazey brand waffle maker. They are so yum with VA buckwheat honey and butter and a slice of ham. I had 3 loaves of Norwich Sourdough retarding in the fridge and baked that after breakfast. Also a new to me loaf, Della Fattoria Polenta Bread from Glezer's Artisan Bread Book. I then stirred up 2 dozen sourdough bagels and they will rise/retard in the fridge and get boiled and baked in the AM tomorrow.

It is 75 here in AL today !! Warm and sunny. What a strange Dec. Hope you enjoy the pics. Oh...all the breads and bagels and rising with only my wild yeast starter. No commercial yeast. And the breads have no rising time out of the fridge. Wonderful what just flour and water can do.

our old waffle maker keeps on performing :)

{{gwi:1527104}}

yum!!

{{gwi:1527105}}

just out of the fridge :

see the bubbles ! :

look at the "ears":

more "ears" :

Della Fattoria:

bagels rising in the sunroom:

{{!gwi}}

Comments (29)

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

YUM (except for the ham!)!!!!! Enjoy YOUR day!

• lalithar
    11 years ago

These look so yum! Do tell us the story of your wild yeast starter and why you do not let your bread dough rise outside the refrigerator.

• lalithar
    11 years ago

And wish you a lovely Happy Birthday! I totally missed that as I scrolled down to see the pics! What a blessed life you have :)

• cardamon
    11 years ago

Trail runner, Happy Birthday! Waffles look good and so do all your breads and bagels. I alway enjoy your posts.

• rosylady
    11 years ago

Trailrunner, you ROCK!!!

I have so enjoyed reading your KAW threads, and now I'm finally saying it! It feels good. You have inspired me for a looong time. I love the way your KAW threads keep it real around here and remind all of us why, ultimately, we are creating these kitchens.

Whether we are baking artisan bread or heating up a can of soup, we are gathering around a source of heat for physical, and mental, nourishment. It's what we're doing after these kitchens are done that really matters in the long run.

Happy birthday.

• eandhl
    11 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU âªâ«�*�*�.��âÂÂ¥ ��.�*�*�â«âª HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU âªâ«�*�*�.��âÂÂ¥ ��.�*�*�â«âª HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR TRAILRUNNER âªâ«�*�*�.��âÂÂ¥ ��.�*�*�â«âª HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.
    Sorry it didn't come out with the musical notes. :(

This post was edited by eandhl on Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 12:50

• Mags438
    11 years ago

Happy b-day and yummy yummy stuff shown here!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you cat...you can have yours without the ham !!

lalitha...thank you ! I used the process outlined on The Fresh Loaf to grow my own wild yeast starter. I will link it below. The wild yeast grows slowly and I like the lengthy development that it goes through when in the fridge. The loaves could be done all in one day by leaving them out on the counter...it is just my preference . We like the taste and the texture that is achieved through the slow development. I would be glad to help if you are interested in pursuing this type of baking.

maggie : thank you !! I am glad that you enjoy them...they bring me a lot of joy too :)

rosylady: I am so glad you decided to post also. Thank you for your kind words. I am looking forward to seeing your kitchen as it develops. ( We are grand piano people too ! DH is a prof. jazz musician in his spare time )

THANK YOU HOLLY !!

Mags..thank you !! Glad you enjoyed it. c

Here is a link that might be useful: Sourdough 101

• blfenton
    11 years ago

Well, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you. Hope you have a great day and that the next year brings you peace and contentment.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you bl...it has been wonderful so far. c

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

Happy Bday C. Your baking, as always is an inspiration. I wish you a year filled with many blessings and good health for you and your entire family.

Elyse

• grlwprls
    11 years ago

Happy birthday. I'm going to have to let my belt out a notch after opening this thread!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Elyse..I thought of you as I posted ;) You are such a great baker and your Challah always makes me smile. I am going to be teaching baking in the New Year ! I am very excited and will post how it goes.

Hey url..I love your new kitchen ! Thank you and I want to see KAW pics from you soon :) c

• deedles
    11 years ago

Happy Birthday to You! You don't belong in a zoo, you belong in your own bakery in France, Happy Birthday to You!

Okay, so it doesn't rhyme...

Going to read your post on the wild yeast starter. You sure produce some beautiful looking bakery.

Have you ever heard of that 'Oregon Trail' sourdough starter? It's been kept going for like 160 years by the same family. They'll send you some for the cost of a SASE. I've often thought of sending away for some...wouldn't that be fun to try?

Here is a link that might be useful: 1847 Sourdough starter

• rosie
    11 years ago

Happy birthday, Trailrunner. Wishing you a lovely year full of wonderful cooking aromas.:) Rosie

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

deedles... the notion of that old sourdough starter is one of the coolest things I've ever heard. I think I need to take advantage!

• taggie
    11 years ago

Happy birthday!! What a lovely and mouthwatering birthday breakfast treat. (I have a huge craving for waffles right now.)

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you rosie...pics at end of post...fragrances continue !!

deedles thank you ! and elyse try your own first so you can get used to it and also so you can compare !!

taggie : thank you !! I will have DH make more for all of you guys that are going to drop in tomorrow AM...coffee will be on at 7 AM !! You are ALL so sweet. c

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Happy Birthday! It's so funny we were just talking at dinner about how I need to start baking bread. You provided wonderful inspiration. Best wishes.

• marthavila
    11 years ago

Happy Birthday, girlfriend! Wow, to think we'll get to share in being the same age for a couple of weeks. (I turn another year older at the end of this month). :-) So, from one December-born, TKO Boomer to another-- Here's wishing you only the best in the year ahead!

Oh, and please, do keep those KAW pics of yours coming. By now, I'm thinking you deserve to have your own baking cookbook published, complete with mouthwatering photos of your work!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

debrak..thank you and please do start baking and post pics ! I love to talk baking and kitchens !!

martha..it has been way way too long since we have "hugged necks" in NYC ! I long for another visit. TIll then ...thank you...and I will post as long as we all enjoy. c ( HAPPY BIRTHDAY ! Momma's was the 28th)

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Happy birthday Trailrunner! I get to Alabama at least once a year, may I come by for a cup o' joe on my next visit? I just want to have a conversation with you and soak up your kitchen!

My #1 daught-in-law asked for 'bama apparel for Christmas. She and#1 son are HUGE Crimson Tide fans and we live in Illinois!

• tea4all
    11 years ago

Happy Happy Birthday Trailrunner from another Dec birthday person!! So glad you posted this thread. I love to see your baking pics. Thanks for the sourdough starter link. I just might get up enough courage to give it a try. You have a keeper of a hubby there--fixing you such a yummy breakfast. Hope your day was a total delight! And may this coming year be filled to overflowing with blessings for you and your family!

• peonybush
    11 years ago

Best Birthday Wishes trailrunner...
    The breads and bagels look amazing. Yum!
    I'll take cat_mom's ham..

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

motherof3..I would LOVE to meet you. I have had the pleasure of getting together with of GW Kitchen folks in NYC . You let me know when you are going to be in AL and we will make it happen. What fun !! War Eagle ! :)

t4all...thank you for the wonderful wishes. So generous of you. I appreciate all the lovely compliments everyone has posted. I do love to share bread making. It is a fun hobby for me. DH is definitely a keeper. If you need help/have questions about the sourdough please ask me..can send email if you want. And please post your results here !!

peony thank you !! It is yours :) ...cat_mom is a card no ???

• Donaleen Kohn
    11 years ago

happy birthday from me, too...

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey donaleen..I have been following your recovery..I am so glad that you are getting better and that no surgery was required. Thank you for the birthday wishes !! c

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Happy Birthday! Zowie - looks like it was a feast.
    I will have to start making my own bread again -but mine never looked so nice!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a2...we can talk anytime you like about any bread questions you might have. Would love to share so you can enjoy too !! Thank you !!

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County