Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melinrk_gw

And this is the point of all of this...

melinrk
14 years ago

Last week I had 2 marathon cooking days. Well, the first day was spent mostly shopping for all the ingredients (with a little cooking and prep work) and the second day was spent cooking and baking.

I made:

3 batches of brownies

2 batches of chocolate chip cookies

3 large lasagnas

3 little tiny ones (single serving)

3 large spaghetti pies

3 little tiny ones (single serving)

6 quarts of chili

I just had to take this picture of 4 large pots on my stove at the same time. I was singing along with my new in ceiling speakers and happily cooking on plenty of countertopp and stove space. I had an AHA moment where I realized what all the time, effort and hard work was all about.

My kitchen is 95% done. Window treatments being installed tomorrow along with the copper countertop for the hutch. Island may be in this week, otherwise first week of January. THEN I will post finished pictures!

Comments (15)

• stretchad
    14 years ago

Looks like a hard-working kitchen!

I had a marathon cooking weekend last weekend in which I made 181 cookies, 20 cups of granola, 25 cups of caramel corn, and 2lbs of peppermint bark all in my OLD kitchen. I cannot WAIT to add more countertop space for cooling cookies, and heighten my OTR MW so that I can fit tall stock pots on the back burner and still be able to stir!

Jan 4th is demo day.

What kind of granite do you have by the way? Any more photos?

• gillylily
    14 years ago

A little off -topic but Melinrk- how high are your ceilings/ cab? I just saw a picture of your kitchen in the post re: wall oven and fridge and I am in the midst of picking out cabinet hardware.. Debating whether or not to do knob AND Handle/pulls or just handle pulls. The cabinet maker suggested all handles b/c our cabs are going up to the ceiling (9ft). How are yours working out for you?

Your kitchen is BEAUTIFUL by the way!! Congrats on it being complete or almost complete!

• teresa518
    14 years ago

I agree. Wish I had taken pictures....

Mom and I had a cookie baking marathon on Saturday - and were snowed in on Sunday! We LOVED working in my new kitchen. Over 500 cookies later. I was really appreciating all the work I had put into layout, etc. And really loving my peninsula with stools!

We baked for over 12 hours.....

• plllog
    14 years ago

Congratulations!! It's great to see cooking in a new kitchen.

• User
    14 years ago

WOW...one cook to another I LOVE seeing a kitchen in use. Love to see pics of the finished food too. Not my year to cook. We are on the road and eating everyone else's work. Mom is resting LOL> c

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting the pictures. I'm soooo looking forward to cooking!!!!

• sweetrain
    14 years ago

Melinrk, I LOVE your backsplash and am seriously thinking of doing the same in my kitchen. But there's always one thing holding me back.

How the heck to you clean all those nooks and crannys in the design? I know how splashed up my plain painted wall gets even though I'm soooo careful when I cook.

Also, I'm a shorty so reaching over the oven to get to that wall is a challenge. lol

• Maria410
    14 years ago

I too spent the weekend (snowed in) in my new kitchen baking cookies after shopping for the ingredients. It was so nice that the kitchen worked so well!! I kept saying to DH -- I am having so much fun! Of course for the last five years I was working on a graduate degree while working a full time job so now that it is finished, I have the time to bake cookies!!

• melinrk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

gillylilly...my ceilings are 8 foot and the cabinets go to the ceiling - well, with a crown moulding of course. I have knobs on the cabinets, and pulls on the drawers. They work great. I did go for the bigger knobs - 1 1/2 inch versus 1 inch.

stretchad...my granite is Gold & Silver, or Golden Silver. More pictures will come. Here is a teaser shot:

sweetrain...we LOVE the backsplash. In fact, it was the first decision we made. Walked into a kitchen showroom and spotted it behind a cooktop and fell in love. Then we decided to do the whole backsplash of it, and set the cooktop apart from the rest by framing it with mouldings. It's actually Stainless Steel, as opposed to aluminum. Heavier duty. My hubby insisted (I thought he was nuts, but turns out it was smart). It is SO easy to clean as it wipes up with a sponge. I am a horribly messy cook, so when I tell you it's easy...it's easy. Plus, the vent somehow helps with splatters, and I tend to use the front burners more than the back. Oh, and I am just under 5'4" - don't have a lot of height on me either. Regardless of the material on the wall, it will have to cleaned and your height won't change :). Go for it, it's great.

We got the backspash at tinceilings.com. Company called Classic Ceilings. Spoke to Mike on the phone who was really helpful.

• sue_b
    14 years ago

And the point of having an island with seating! Yes my nieces and nephews are eating carry out but this was a Friday night after work! I was tempted to NOT post this but you can see the Grohe Ladylux faucet so it is a kitchen pic.

• rosie
    14 years ago

Your kitchen looks fantastic, Melinrk, in heavy use and at rest! Your backsplash in durable stainless steel really caught my eye; ours is painted drywall, which I love and is cleaning up so far, but that's now on my list for someday if more endurance is needed.

I just came out of the kitchen with a cup of soup. I don't bake much and am bringing just a little dish to Christmas dinner this year, but it's cold out so just I made a giant pot of potato soup to freeze up for the rest of the winter. Like the squirrels still tucking away outside. :)

• msrose
    14 years ago

You cooked more on your marathon day than I've cooked in the past year :)

Can't wait to see the rest of your kitchen!

Laurie

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

that's more cooking than i've done in the past 11 yrs!
    it is good to see one of those big stove's bubbling away tho.

looking forward to seeing more of your kitchen also!

• goodbyekitty
    14 years ago

I'm clipping this so I can remember this post and look up your pics when you get them posted. It sort of looks Old World which is what I am going for in my dream kitchen.

• alice462
    14 years ago

Oh, I love your kitchen....and, how you are using it! Can't wait to see more pictures!

We, too, were snowed in for several days and I had stocked up on cooking supplies in anticipation of the storm. Between sledding adventures - we produced....a gingerbread house, roasted chicken, 2 types of soup, mocha rum cakes and a pot roast, oh yeah and my 10 y.o. DS made crepes for us for breakfast one morning! These kinds of days are what made our year long reno worth every minute.

Happy holidays!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!