Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Replacing pot lights w/ LEDs

CEFreeman
12 years ago

Hi all!

I have started considering replacing the bulbs in all my recessed lighting with LED bulbs.

There are two considerations:

1) Do they come dimmable that actually work? (Unlike CFLs.)

2) Do they come with a coating that colors them so they're not that ugly, aging electric blue light?

I have the Halo type that don't have a cover on them, so the bulb is exposed. That means I need the shape that's large, round and flat where it hangs down towards the floor. Does that make any sense whatsoever? I'm open to the ideas of covers...?

Anyone got experience with this?

Thanks,

Christine

Comments (15)

• billy_g
    12 years ago

First we need to know the size of your cans. The Cree CR6 LED bulbs are fabulous -- dimmable and available in 2700K, the same color as incandescents. They screw into a 6 inch can and include the reflector and trim for about $53 each.

Others will chime in with bulb-only options, but as you pointed out they may not look as good as an integrated unit such as the Cree.

Billy

Here is a link that might be useful: Source for Cree LED bulbs

• califkitchen
    12 years ago

We have been replacing our 6" pots with the one's Billy recommends and they are absolutely dimmable. Also,they are less at expensive at HD, and are on sale there right now, as well

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, guys! :)

I have tons of CFLs, but the dimmable are a joke.
    I figure rather than more really not very helpful bulbs, I'll just go the whole way.

I appreciate it and I'm off to look at the Cree!

Christine

• jeri
    12 years ago

Are these the ones you are talking about from HD?

Here is a link that might be useful: EcoSmart 6 in. 10.5-Watt

• mcfreiz
    12 years ago

those are the ones everyone is using. LIPA used to have a rebate on them so it was only $25 when i bought a few for a trial run. i went back to buy the rest and they went up to the normal $40 price. i made a trip into CT where they are only $20 each and bought 40 of them to finish the rest of the house. may want to go to homedepot.com and check neighboring states if you plan on buying a whole bunch, i think they are $25 in the Boston area.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just realized something.
    I don't want to replace the pots.
    I have just fine, Halo H7CIRT lights.
    I just want the bulbs.

I have the trim kits, etc., I just need the correct, Edison socket lights. Like I said, I'm not adverse to a cover so the bulb doesn't show... (I don't know what the name of that is) but with the correctly shaped bulb, I don't think that's necessary.

Thanks,
    Christine

• Redhead47
    12 years ago

As far as I know, the LED lights need the whole trim kit when retrofitting. You can't just put in the LED bulbs in the old fitting. (Or at least that's my understanding, based on my research.)

I'm watching prices on these Cree lights, too. Good to know prices are lower elsewhere. They were $50 six months ago when our pot lights were installed, but now $39.97 at Home Depot locally. Will check out other HDs within reasonable distance to see if we can do even better.

You can also post this on the lighting forum & maybe get even more info.

• mcfreiz
    12 years ago

the cree cr6 lights still use your Halo fixture, it screws into the edison base and replaces the bulb and trim ring.
    if you really just want to replace bulb i think the Philip Ambient BR30 should work. Supposed to be more of a neutral white 3000k vs the cree's warm white 2700k.

• dekeoboe
    12 years ago

FYI - The reason the EcoSmart lights are a lot less expensive at some HDs is because they are subsidized by the electric company. We live in NC, but my brother lives in Boston, so I had him buy them for us and bring them down. Not all the Boston area HDs have them for $25. I think it was the one in West Roxbury he got them at as the one in South Boston did not have the subsidized pricing.

• billy_g
    12 years ago

As far as the Crees with the reflectors versus screw-in bulbs and using the existing trim, remember that LED can lighting is a "system" and you likely are compromising by screwing in an LED bulb into an incandescent fixture. It likely will not have the same efficiency in terms of light output and may compromise on the beam spread of the light.

Billy

• Emilner
    12 years ago

Billy is correct. I would not try to retrofit your trim to work with new bulbs. The HD CR6 bulbs come with a trim ring designed to properly spread the light into the room. I have 18 of them in my kitchen and den and I could not be happier! They dim very well and have a great soft color. You use your existing can and remove the bulb/trim and socket bracket from inside the can. The new bulb just screws into the loose base and locks into the old can. They look great and work great...

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK. Looks like this will be out of the budget for awhile. But good to have the info.

Here's another Q for the mix:
    I have many motion sensor lights. LED bulbs flicker. They go off an on, but at rest, they flicker.

I don't want to hear any of the (logical) crap about the circuit being off and it can't happen stuff. BTDI. Even my insistent electrician had to eat his words when we stood in the bathroom, laundry room, and mud room watching the flicker as he checked his own wiring.

So!
    Do any LEDs handle motion sensors these days? I have a ton of these, too.

Thanks!
    Christine

• colorfast
    12 years ago

You may want to repost both your questions over on GW lighting forum. There are a couple of lighting and electrical professionals over there.

• ntruro
    12 years ago

If you have dimmers, be certain there will be sufficient load for them to work after you install the LEDs. (The dimmers in my house require a minimum 100W load.) Otherwise you may have to replace your existing incandescent dimmers with LED dimmers.

• EngineerChic
    12 years ago

I went to our local HD (30 mi from Boston) and got 6 of these lights to replace our incandescents in the kitchen today. OMG - I love them. The light is great & they were really easy to install. I wish I had more pot lights to update (just kidding, 6 of these puppies cost $150!)