Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Induction Cooktop exhaust question

Posted by ironspider (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 12:06

Greetings all, we are remodeling our kitchen and we're looking to get some opinions about the extractor fan situation.

We currently have a gas cooktop and no venting at all. We're moving to an induction cooktop and changing the location of the cooktop so that it is near and exterior wall. So we are planning on using the IKEA EVENTUELL extractor hood. But we have a couple of problems.

1) There is a noticable gap between the tops of our cabs and the ceiling--making a vent pipe solution into the attic not so great since the pipe will be seen and we're planning on uplighting up there anyway
2) The wall the cooktop is on is the front of the house and doing a 6" exhaust port there would probably look crappy.

So I'm curious about what you all think about using the recirculating mode of the extractor fan and if it's different since we're not using gas anymore? The hood has 2 charcoal filters it says. The recirc mode would solve the 2 problems we have but, will it be sufficient or just a useless expense over not having anything at all? Or do we have to bite the bullet and vent this thing out the front of the house?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Induction Cooktop exhaust question

I don't think you will be happy with recirculation due to the smells. I know I had a recirculating set-up prior to the remodel and I never used it because it was so noisy and didn't seem to help. Have you thought of using a chimney type hood so the pipe could continue up through the ceiling? I agree that an exhaust port out the front of the house would not be a nice look.

o

I'd vent up and drywall around the duct. You should be able to get the duct towards the rear.

How big a gap are we talking, anyway? Draw a sketch and someone will figure out how to make it look good.

o

IMO recirc is a "better than nothing - but barely" solution. Sounds like there's room for creativity; post a pic or diagram and see what folks come up with for you. Whatever that may be, I'd say it should be through the roof.

o

Ironspider, have you done your install? We're looking at the Ikea Eventuell too, and I was wondering how you like it. I like the low profile, but it's so new I can't find any reviews. We're looking to just replace our range hood, and install the Eventuell under our (not ikea) existing cabinets. Thanks.

o

Can you add a piece of crown molding across the tops of the cabinets that will hide the vent?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here