Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyscott3

Changing dishwasher front panel to stainless

andyscott
9 years ago

This question has probably been asked a million times, so I apologize for posting it again.

We have a year old Whirlpool white dishwasher that is in like new condition. All our other appliances are due for replacement, so we decided to go for stainless with our kitchen redo.

We can get a Whirlpool original stainless front panel for around $100, but the control panel at the top will remain white. But replacing the control panel with black (as it is on the ss dishwasher) would make this color change too expensive.

A couple of questions: What do you think of a stainless panel with a white control panel at the top? And are there any worthwhile alternatives that you have experience with, which cost less than the $100 panel and look good?

Comments (12)

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

Sometimes you can find appliance parts substantially cheaper on eBay. Sometimes not, but it's worth checking there if you haven't already.

Within the last few weeks someone posted photos of how they dolled up their plain jane kitchen range with some pinstriping. Maybe some (restrained) metallic silver pinstripe on the white control panel would be enough accent to make it look like a purposeful combo....although I admit to liking stainless & white together anyway.

Hopefully someone will remember who posted that range & can link to it.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

What color are the cabinets? If they are white, having white appliances just blends in and isn't noticeable.

• andyscott
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The cabinets will be a light maple, but the countertop will be a white quartz; so maybe the white control panel might blend in.

• practigal
    9 years ago

If you like your dishwasher, 3M makes vinyl wraps in a variety of colors and patterns and it can be made to order....you could wrap the door in (what looks like) stainless rather than buy a new dishwasher.

• andyscott
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, practigal - I'm going to order a sample of the 3M wrap to see how it works out. Just found out that it's called brushed aluminum wrap and also there's an installation video on Youtube.

• sevrm
    9 years ago

Having too much time on my hands, I did a mock-up of your original idea of the stainless steel panel with the white control panel. I don't think it would look bad at all. What's the difference if the control panel is white, or black as it is on the stainess steel dishwasher.

• Ivan I
    9 years ago

Suellen, how did you do that?

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Here is a picture I found online of a dishwasher with only the front panel changed to stainless.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Sun, Dec 14, 14 at 22:25

• practigal
    9 years ago

Hi andyscott,
    Please keep us posted, I would really like to see how the dishwasher turned out and whether it was as easy to apply as advertised.

• eam44
    9 years ago

I think it might look nicer if you used a light maple wood veneer, but either way, the white control panel wouldn't worry me. It'll be fine.

• andyscott
    Original Author
    9 years ago

suellen and hvtech42 - many thanks for your time to post those pictures! So the consensus seems to be that it really won't look that bad. This forum has been so helpful in our kitchen project.

I'll be sure to post an update once I'm done.