Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookncarpenter

single bowl sink drain location

cookncarpenter
11 years ago

Pretty sure I've got our new sink narrowed down to two : Blanco Silgranite Super Single in Either the 'Precis', or the 'Diamond'. The main difference being drain location. Precis drain is centered left to right, towards the back of the bowl. The Diamond drain is offset to the right and centered front to back. Having never owned (or used) a single bowl before, what are pros and cons of each set up? Being a symetrical person, I like the looks of the Peecis better, but does the offset drain of the Diamond make it more user friendly?

Comments (9)

• cookncarpenter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the one I thought I would like...

Here is a link that might be useful: Precis super single

• cookncarpenter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the other choice I recently found. I'll be under mounting either one...

Here is a link that might be useful: Diamond super single

This post was edited by ctycdm on Wed, Dec 26, 12 at 12:12

• mpinto
    11 years ago

I have an off set drain in a Kohler cast iron. I love it. It gives you more usable space in the sink.

• localeater
    11 years ago

Fact of the matter is you will be very happy with either one. You can't make a bad choice between these 2.
    If you get the Diamond and your plumber can get the plumbing all nice and tidy on that same side you will gain some under cabinet storage space. If this is not new construction and you don't want to move plumbing that probably won't happen.
    When you are washing a large roasting pan in the Diamond it will not cover the drain and that is seen as advantageous. If you use the sink grids, you won't cover the drain anyway.
    I love my Blanco Silgranite sink, I thought about both of these but ultimately went with a double bowl. I will never by another sink that is not Silgranite.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

My sink's drain is smack in the middle. Although offset is considered more efficient or hip or something, I have never thought, oh drat, how much better things would be if mine weren't in the middle. Just having one large bowl and a grid (yes, I've finally embraced the grid) has made kitchen life so much better.

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

One thing to consider in pondering the under-sink architecture: the loss of usable space with a center drain is somewhat (but not entirely) mooted if you do not plan on having a garbage disposal mechanism below it.

Without a GD you can use something called (I think) a handicapped drain line which allows you to shift the position of the trap apparatus from directly under the drain to a back corner, freeing more center space if needed. This should be checked with your local codes but it is permissible in mine and I plan on using it because I already had my sinks purchased before the possibility of an off-set drain even crossed my horizon. And I have no GD as we have an old-fashioned septic system, so none is possible. I've never had a GD, so I didn't really comprehend the concern for under-sink space until I saw one in a show room.

If I was considering a GD, then the offset drain would be tempting.

I never have a problem with my large single bowl with multiple uses (I don't understand the need for two bowls.) I hand wash all my dishes and kitchen stuff (no DW) and I never find a conflict with clean/dirty/prep water usage. It's a big sink - I just move the faucet over to where I need it. I stack my used utensils (or soak in a bowl) during cooking and then wash it all after the meal.

One thing I like about the center drain as this is the default position for the faucet, too, which minimizes splashing when turning it on.

HTH,

L.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I looked and looked for a large single bowl sink with a side rear drain. The Rohl's original fireclay farmhouse sink met that criteria, but it wasn't deep enough for my cookie sheets to lie front to back and DH wssn't sold on a farmhouse sink. There might have been a couple of stainless ones, but if so they were too shallow and one was too deep (12 or 13"). We wound up with a center drain, and I think it actually worked out for the better.

When you have a large single bowl, you have the option to set things on either side of the drain and still leave the drain open. A side drain is good for a smaller to mid-sized sink where you pretty much have to dedicate one side to soaking or stacking, leaving the drain unblocked and possibly having an open area for use on the side.

We do have a disposal as well as 2 DW connections and an instant hot tank. We also have cleaning supplies as well as trash and recycling under the sink -- all in a 36" cabinet. I had to study the details and threaten the installer if he didn't pay attention and do it like I told him (he had already messed up the prep sink and potfiller installations and had to make adjustments), but it all fit and we got the best use of the cabinet space as well as a very functional sink.

I don't understand the drain and faucet placement supposedly being better if the same. We had more of a splash with the offset drain and faucet in our prep sink until we changed the faucet and got one with a deeper reach so the water stream would hit in front of the drain opening. When the other faucet was turned so that water hit the drain opening, the water would hit the disposal guard and splash out.

I think my grandmother had a single bowl sink, so I'd used one, but DH and I were both unsure about living with one. Neither of us have missed the double bowl and I'll be happy to not have one of the standard types again.

• cookncarpenter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the helpful replies! Some great points brought up here. I think I'll stick with my first choice, and go with the Precis (center drain) We do have a GD, but because our sink sits diagonally in a corner, farther back and in the center is probably the best place for it. Also, I noticed the Diamond has slight curves on each side of the bowl, to me this looks a bit more contemporary, which our kitchen is far from...

• aloha2009
    10 years ago

Hoping everyone is still around as I have some questions myself regarding not only these 2 style of sinks but would love to see pics of of the undersink configuration of Liodendren's.

I too am trying to decided between these 2 sinks. We recently installed a used single bowl sink as a trial to see how overall the single is for us. I'm having issues with the left over food debri with such a large sink.

I was looking at the Diamond, but I'm now having second thoughts. I was going to go with the Diamond to maximize the undercabinet configuration while keeping the drain closest to my prep area, and keeping the rinsing to one side.

With my trial sink the sink is in the middle (not a whole lot of used singles out there). It gets sealed up fairly often and doesn't drain until I pull the pan off the drain.

Ctycdm, If you've got your sink In a centered rear drain, is it pushed back far enough to maintain at least a partial opening? How is it with food particles containment? How is the splash?

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022