Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparklekitty_gw

Vote - White or Stainless/black micro/convection ove

sparklekitty
13 years ago

We designed a space for a kenmore convection oven/microwave but have put it off because didn't know which color to choose. The rest of the appliances are stainless (KA dishwasher & fridge, bluestar oven) but the microwave is more black with stainless trim and the bank of cabinets it is in is white. We currently have an old small white microwave in the space and I am surprised that I think I like the color - it lets the appliance blend in versus stand out (I would ahve liked to put the micro behind a cabinet but we like having it accessable.)

Here is a link to the microwave.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02067903000P?sid=IDAx20080403x000001&srccode=cii_18492716&cpncode=25-12974605-2

This is a photo of the space

Here is another photo of the kitchen, for reference

I am leaning towards a white microwave - but I don't want to have it look strange. For reference, I am not a matchy type person (have four different types of hardware on cabinets and two different cabinet finishes.) I just want to hear the thoughts of others. Thanks.

Comments (22)

• kitchenkrazed09
    13 years ago

Will the microwave almost completely fill the space that is designed for a microwave? If so, I think the white would blend in nicely and look like it was designed for the space. If not, I think it could look like an afterthought and maybe like it wasn't meant to be there. Just my humble opinion.

• joyce_6333
    13 years ago

As far as color, guess I would choose stainless, but either would be fine.

I currently have the Kenmore micro/convection oven. I love it, use it all the time. I use the convection oven for just about all my baking that will fit. This is my second one. First one was by Amana, but they are identical. I do have to tell you I have had nothing but trouble with both of them. I thought the first one was a fluke, but the second one has the same issues. I've had this one for two years, and have had the touch panel replaced for the third time (I got the warranty, thank goodness). If it goes out again, Sears will give me a new microwave. So, if you purchase this unit, be sure to get the warranty. It was only $9 for 3 years.

• sparklekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Joyce - Thanks for the feedback on the oven. I will get the warranty with your advice. But it sounds like when it works :) you really like it.

Kitchenkrazed - Yes the oven will fill the space versus the old microwave I have that is too small. I decided against a true build in for more flexibility in the future (my last build in fried after a couple of years and it was very expensive to replace.)

• plllog
    13 years ago

If it's built in, stainless. If it's just sitting in the space, white. Seeing the black surround in the white cabinet would be distracting.

Therefore, I vote for white.

• doonie
    13 years ago

I like the microwave you are considering. I agree with what plllog said.

Very beautiful kitchen:)!!

• trailgirl
    13 years ago

Love the kitchen. Quick question, what are your pendants?

• idrive65
    13 years ago

I have all stainless appliances, and a white microwave sitting on the counter. I have a white backsplash and light colored counters so it sort of fades into the background. I also think it's easier to keep clean than the ss finish on some microwave ovens.

• foosabear
    13 years ago

I would choose white myself with those cabinets. Your kitchen is lovely! :o)

• eandhl
    13 years ago

I think you have enough black accents that you could go with either one.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I vote White.

unless built in. I like Plllog's wording better.

• sparklekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all for the feedback and kind words. It is not going to be built in, but the space is sized for it. I think I am going to pick up the white one tomorrow and see how it looks. My only fear is that it stand out/look weird because it is much whiter than the cabinets (which are very slightly gray/green in the white.) In that case I will get the stainless because it won't look like I am pretending that things match.

Trailgirl, the pendants are from Lowes. I think they were 20 or 30 dollars. They were temporary to get inspection until lighting we ordered came in, but are pretty cute (especially at that price.) Only negative is that there is an exposed bulb that hangs below the shade which can be blinding.

Joyce - I forgot to ask, what baking dishes "fit" in it? I don't think the 9X13" pyrex will fit (they told me a 12" pizza pan was max.) What about some larger corell - 2.5 or 3 quart round, or a french white oval? I am trying to replace the 9x13" that won't fit for large things like a lasagna. This is going to pinch in as our second oven for holidays (which is why I am trying to get it now...)

• sparklekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So I bought the white one, put it in the space and decided it didn't cut it. In my attempt to make it 'blend' it seems to stand out more. Or maybe it I am just back in hypersensitive kitchen mode (when things that others would never notice stick out like a sore thumb.) Here is a crummy photo from my phone.

Here is another looking directly at it. Maybe because we opted to have it sit in a shelf and now the gap around makes it stand out (and I don't think I can get a trim kit for this this. Honestly I was just trying to make it simple (never try that with a kitchen :)

Here is the photo of the stainless

Here is my attempt at putting the stainless in the photo of the kitchen, color quite off... hum...

I think if it is going to not blend in, it might as well not pretend it is and just be there. Or should I stick with the white.

What do you think - white or stainless?

• mirz2000
    13 years ago

I like the look of the stainless, but I am no expert.

Additionally, the rest of your kitchen is SO gorgeous, you could put a hunk of asphalt in that cutout, and it would still be beautiful. :P

• plllog
    13 years ago

I think the non-matching white looks better than the stainless in the photos, but IRL it might not be so acceptable.

Yes, I think you are in a TKO quandry. If you were really obsessive, you'd put in a lift door to match the cabinets and hide the microwave, thereby making it a bother to use.

How long do you have to exchange it? I'd live with it there for a week if there's time. Not use it at all. Just let it set there and ignore it, and try not to look at it at all. If it still bugged me after the week, I'd exchange it. Or maybe pick up the stainless one first, and audition them together in turns. Take back the worse one.

And then stop worrying about it. :)

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

Another vote for stainless

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Does it come in bisque or biscuit?

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I like the white one but agree that it can't hurt to buy the ss and see how it looks. Bring back the one you like less.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

How about black?

• sparklekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the input. I am taking the advice. My husband just asked if he should return the white one and I had to tell him no, but buy the stainless one :) Told him I liked it so much I wanted two...but he gets it, and me and that if I don't have the chance to look at them both I may keep wondering. Or, as I am surprised to discover, completely forget the whole thing. I say that because I was fine with the little old microwave in the big space in the photo at the start of the thread - because I didn't decide on it, it was just the default.

Unfortunately, it doesn't come in bisque or bisquit and black would stand out too much for me.

Plllog - I laugh at your comment about putting it behind a door - I had thought of that at one TKO point(looks lovely) but overall tried to avoid thing that put form over function (I could just hear myself cursing in my head everytime I had to open the cabinet to get to the microwave to warm my tea for 10 seconds, effort to get there taking longer than
    the actual appliance working time!)

• taggie
    13 years ago

I think stainless, and LOL on telling your husband you like it so much you want two. :-) Will be interested to see your final decision once you've seen both in place.

• joyce_6333
    13 years ago

Sorry I'm so late in answering your question. I bake anything in the oven that will fit and still allow the glass tray to rotate. I use it all the time, and am lost when it goes in for repairs. As an example, during the holidays, it's where I bake the pies, can do two at a time with the rack in place. The sweet potatoes and stuffing get baked in here, again using the rack both can be baking at the same time as long as one fits under the rack. It's the handiest little appliance. I currently have it under the counter in the island, but it would be handier in the location you have.

• sparklekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Joyce - You have yours under the counter - what type of space to you have around it - the requested 4" on sides and back (which we only discovered when we brought the appliance home?) I am trying to decide if we keep it - we don't have the required clearance and am trying to figure out if it really matters... I hear these things can get hot. Here is a link to another discussion with more detail on the clearances.

Here is a link that might be useful: discussion on clearances for kemore convection/microwave