Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thirdkitchenremodel_gw

Tile all the way to the ceiling: yay or nay?

The space:

The cab in the corner still needs to be installed, goes from the ceiling to the countertop, looks like this:

Do I tile all the way to the ceiling behind the hood or stop at the lower edge? The tiles I've been thinking about (yes, I know I'm all over the place with that decision):

And simple beveled subways are also on my overflowing brain...

But for now I need to decide if the tile will go allure way up to the ceiling. Whatcha think?

Btw the hood is stainless, we just haven't taken off the protective film yet.

Comments (16)

• robbcs3
    11 years ago

yes all the way. One of the top 2 selections

• francoise47
    11 years ago

I like the tile all the way to the ceiling behind the hood, especially in your set up.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

All the way under the hood. I forget what your countertop choice is.

• poohpup
    11 years ago

In my book, it is never wrong to tile all the way to the ceiling. :)

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

We don't have uppers flanking the hood. But we did the entire wall, to the ceiling. I think it's the cleanest look. However, we tiled first, then installed the range hood. The tile runs behind the hood (or, mostly behind the hood, because we ran out of tile so I left out some tile where it was hidden(!)). It will be a hassle to try to cut and tile around the hood, so tile first is ultimately the simplest way to go.

I like the second and fourth tile choices. But I also like #3. it's different and I don't think you'd see it anywhere else. It's also not trendy, so wouldn't date easily.

• drybean
    11 years ago

Another agreement to go all the way up. We are doing the same.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Tile to the ceiling. It will be easier to tile if you take the hood down, tile and then reinstall the hood. The only area I have tiled is the cooktop/hood and I went to the ceiling. Everyone that has seen it comments on how they like it to the ceiling and how they like the way I ran the tiles vertically instead of horizontally.

• thirdkitchenremodel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Counters are beech butcher block, waterloxed but no stain.

I also thought all the way to the ceiling. It's so close anyway, seems silly to stop just shy. Contractor already said he would take the hood down so I can put up tile if I wanted it to go all the way up. God bless him, he knows my decision making abilities are impaired at this point in the project.

I have tile samples on the way of all the above plus a few I didn't save pictures of. Will post back with actual images in situ once they arrive.

Back to the sawdust...

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

All the way! I know you weren't asking, but I like the second from the bottom...:)

• petra66_gw
    11 years ago

All the way up, and I really like tile #4 and #5.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I like the last tile option you posted above. It's less busy and would complement your counter top choice.

• sas95
    11 years ago

I like the last tiles, too.

• thirdkitchenremodel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just got the sample of the 3rd one and the picture doesn't capture what it actually looks like. I'm off to work and will try to take a picture tomorrow. Basically it's a clear glass tile, textured on the back and then the back has a thick metallic-y looking glaze on it. Not sure if I like it.

And according to the tile company the last 2 are the same color despite looking very different in the pictures. Sample forthcoming...

Off to work...

• caitlinmagner
    11 years ago

don't know the answer, but I like the last two tiles.

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

I would actually not recommend tiling to the ceiling for your kitchen. I usually like the look but in your space, the hood seems quite high and the tiles are nice but seem to blend in more. I would suggest tiling up to the hood and using a darker paint color on the wall behind the hood to create more of a visual balance. See Bee's old kitchen for an example.

Dark paint behind backsplash

Close up of where the tile ends