Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
call out to ABB folks re: installing hood

Posted by jck67 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 13, 13 at 11:46

To those of you who belong to the ABB club--did you install your hood anyway? My plan is to tile behind the stove up to the ceiling and have been told to wait until the backsplash is in before installing the chimney style hood. Is this a common practice? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: call out to ABB folks re: installing hood

You can also install a piece of 1/4" plywood to the same template as the hood on the wall in order to account for the added depth of the tile and go ahead and tile right up to it. IF you know which hood and thickness of the tile you'll be getting that is.

o

Sorry if I was not clear or I do not understand your suggestion. I have the chimney style hood, but do not have the tile for the backsplash. I was told it would be too difficult to tile around the hood (plan is to go to the ceiling), so it is better not to install the hood before installing the backsplash. I am not sure how putting in the plywood would help (seems like it would just as difficult to remove the plywood to install the tile). I read about all these GW posters not putting in their backsplash for months and wondered if they waited to install their hoods.

o

We put our hood up, took it down for the tiling, and then put it back up again.

o

Great-thanks! It makes sense to me but I was told it would be very difficult/time consuming, etc. to do.

o

our chimney style hood has a mounting plate that the hood is screwed into, and a cosmetic chimney covers the duct that actually goes out the wall, not all the way up to the ceiling. we will take the hood and duct cover off if and when I ever choose a backsplash, but the mounting plate will stay put.

o

Here's my hood, sans BS.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I'm planning to Eurosplash this whole wall like you're planning with yours. It's been two years now like this. DH said he wouldn't get the rangetop hooked up to gas unless the hood was working. My HVAC installer said we could take the hood down (it's one piece) to tile and then replace, claiming there was enough give in the duct hole placement to allow for this. Now, the tile I'm seriously considering is a bit thicker than a normal tile so I'm a bit worried about the hood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here