Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Canned lights only above island?

mrspete
11 years ago

I'm unsure of myself here and would like some advice.

When it comes to kitchens, I like clean, open spaces. I want most of my stuff put away in cabinets or in the pantry. As I stare at more and more kitchen pictures, I realize that this also includes ceiling light fixtures:

I have pictures of the interior of the house we plan to build, and the kitchen features THREE pendants above a moderate-sized island (5-6 feet) . . . PLUS a light fixture above the nearby sink. I find it "too busy" and distracting. It looks like too much clutter on the ceiling.

I'm thinking I'd like to have one nice pendant above the sink (or two sconces flanking?) and a larger, matching or coordinating pendant light above the small kitchen table . . . and maybe just can lights above the island. I'm sure they'd give ample light for working, but would my island seem "unfinished" if it didn't have a more "visible" light above it?

I'm concerned that in trying to avoid what I see in this overly busy picture of "my kitchen" that I'm going to far in the open-and-clean direction that I might be creating a space that's too sterile?

And I'm thinking that the safest route might be to build with no decorative light fixture above the island, and later -- if we find the design lacking -- to add another light. Of course, the difficulty is that the same fixture might no longer be available.

Comments (3)